Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rizzeau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Hello dear people,
I've got a small issue here. A while ago I got multiple keychain errors, and I tried to reinstall OS X again and it all failed. Thinking my HDD in my MacBook had failed I ordered a brand new SDD (Samsung Evo 850). After a successful install I get the same errors again, and my keychain gets corrupt instantly again.

Has anybody got a clue what I can do to have a clean install with a functioning keychain?

Thanks in advance.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are you having any other issues with the Mac like apps launching really slow that might be signs of a drive failing?

You can try resetting the keychain to a new default keychain by clicking this button in Keychain app preferences. Of course you will lose any saved passwords you have in the existing keychain.

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 7.58.51 AM.png

rizzeau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Are you having any other issues with the Mac like apps launching really slow that might be signs of a drive failing?

You can try resetting the keychain to a new default keychain by clicking this button in Keychain app preferences. Of course you will lose any saved passwords you have in the existing keychain.

View attachment 623223

There were indeed more signs of a failing drive, but now I've put in a brand new SSD to replace the faulty HDD and I get te same errors. I've even reinstalled OS X three times on my new drive.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There were indeed more signs of a failing drive, but now I've put in a brand new SSD to replace the faulty HDD and I get te same errors. I've even reinstalled OS X three times on my new drive.
So aside from the Keychain issue, even with the new SSD you are seeing symptoms like when a drive is dying? Like really slow app launches and beachballs? If so, a drive cable failure can cause this (assuming your Mac is a model with a drive cable).

Reactions: CoastalOR

rizzeau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
So aside from the Keychain issue, even with the new SSD you are seeing symptoms like when a drive is dying? Like really slow app launches and beachballs? If so, a drive cable failure can cause this (assuming your Mac is a model with a drive cable).
Everything seems really quick, but that might be the problem. After the latest clean install I couldn't finish the latest update. It kept saying "installing update, 28 minutes remaining".

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Everything seems really quick, but that might be the problem. After the latest clean install I couldn't finish the latest update. It kept saying "installing update, 28 minutes remaining".
Do you have a USB enclosure you could pop the SSD in then run it from that for a bit. If that fixes it, that would prove it is the cable.

rizzeau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Do you have a USB enclosure you could pop the SSD in then run it from that for a bit. If that fixes it, that would prove it is the cable.
Unfortunately no.

So I already had to install OS X five times. This morning I logged on and could do everything, I walk away for five minutes, my MacBook is locked and when I enter my password it said it was wrong. Now I'm locked out of my computer again.

rizzeau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
I think I've found the problem.
I opened up my MacBook and there was indeed wire visible. Ergo the SATA cable is faulty.

I'll update this when I have a new cable.

Thank you Weaselboy for all your help.

[Update]
I finally got my cable, installed it a few days ago and so far my laptop is working perfectly.
No more keychain erros, no faulty installations. It works like a Mac supposed to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.