Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquidizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I'm thinking of getting Keynote for iPad. What I want to know is: how compatable are Keynote and PowerPoint (PC version)? Can I simply email my iPad a .ppt and open it in Keynote? And vice versa, can I send a .key from my iPad to my laptop and open it in PowerPoint?

Thank you for your help :)

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I haven't tried it with the iPad version, but the Mac version of Keynote will open .ppt files just fine. To get PowerPoint to open a .key file, you need to export it to .ppt first.

It works well but it's not perfect, since the transitions, effects, etc. are not always a perfect match. For simpler slides, it works fine though.

Liquidizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I haven't tried it with the iPad version, but the Mac version of Keynote will open .ppt files just fine. To get PowerPoint to open a .key file, you need to export it to .ppt first.

It works well but it's not perfect, since the transitions, effects, etc. are not always a perfect match. For simpler slides, it works fine though.

Thank you! I decided to buy it and it was definitely a good buy, compatibility works fine with simpler slides as you said. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.