Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KFC-250x70.jpeg
KFC has announced that it now accepts Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and other mobile payment options at some of its U.S. restaurants, with nationwide adoption to be completed by the end of the summer.

"Ease of use and functionality were our first priorities," said Chris Caldwell, KFC U.S. Chief Information Officer. "When we factored in consumer concerns about security and privacy, we identified Android Pay, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay as the best options for our guests."

In October 2015, Apple Pay vice president Jennifer Bailey confirmed that KFC, Chili's, and Starbucks would launch Apple Pay in 2016.

Apple Pay is also supported at Canadian banks BMO, Scotiabank, and TD Canada Trust starting today. Apple is "working rapidly" to expand the service to additional regions, including Hong Kong and Spain, and possibly France, Brazil, Japan, and elsewhere, in partnership with American Express and MasterCard among others.

Article Link: KFC Now Accepts Apple Pay in the United States

Rybo

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
YES!

How about the other Yum brands, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut?

Also, what about Chick-fil-a, the only other fast food chicken place that's actually good?

Taco Bell and Chick-fil-a let you order/pay via their mobile apps, so for me at least, in store NFC isn't as important.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
YES!

How about the Taco Bell

This is why I came in here. On my motorcycle, It sucks to grab my wallet at the drive through. Paying w/ apple watch will be very nice!!!!

My only Taco Bell for 30 miles is also a KFC. Maybe that means there's hope!

Reactions: ogun7

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
i am always excited when more sellers and not banks announce support for Apple Pay. And yet, I am less excited about these chains that sell products that are, let's say, less than healthy for you. Obviously, freedom of choice, but I would love to see an announcement from Sweetgreens or Chopt'd. I know, it's just me.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I try to support all the Apple Pay merchants as I want to see this continue to be adopted more widely but I think I'll pass this one. :p
[doublepost=1464802148][/doublepost]
This is why I came in here. On my motorcycle, It sucks to grab my wallet at the drive through. Paying w/ apple watch will be very nice!!!!

My only Taco Bell for 30 miles is also a KFC. Maybe that means there's hope!

How do you eat your taco while riding a motorcycle? :p

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
i am always excited when more sellers and not banks announce support for Apple Pay. And yet, I am less excited about these chains that sell products that are, let's say, less than healthy for you. Obviously, freedom of choice, but I would love to see an announcement from Sweetgreens or Chopt'd. I know, it's just me.
Nope. Not just you. My wife eats some of the most unappetizing foods known to man; all in the name of health. She secretly hates me because I eat what I like and never gain weight. It's about moderation and variety for me. I love some KFC, just not every day.

100% agree with you about retail participants vs banks. The quicker retail locations adopt NFC, the better it will be for mobile pay services. 'Cause unless banks start selling products off the shelf, another 50 of them signing up to support the Pays (Apple and Android) it does nothing for me.

-Post relates to the US retail acceptance of NFC payments

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
YES!

How about the other Yum brands, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut?

Also, what about Chick-fil-a, the only other fast food chicken place that's actually good?

I'm pretty sure chick-fil-a is on the list of retailers that's planning to support Apple Pay.

My local supermarket (a fairly large chain in the northeast) recently added full support for Apple Pay and it's awesome. I can now jog there and pay with my Apple Watch... It's so much faster than chip and PIN but they still make me sign which is silly.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Apple should be focusing efforts on those non major chain brand retailers, getting all those smaller players onboard. No one ever needs to visit a KFC, there are plenty of good eating options out there.

Smaller businesses are more likely to support it now because they don't have the ability to disable it on their new terminals. It's just that they're not trained all that well.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
On the US West coast, most KFCs are bundled with another restaurant. Las Vegas has a number of KFC/Pizza Hut stores, and here in Sacramento, there are a few KFC/A&W stores. Does that mean that those restaurants are also accepting Apple Pay? And if so, would that mean that those stores that are solely the other restaurants are also accepting Apple Pay by extension?

BL.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

CFA has been rolling out ApplePay since Feb. All stores will have it by end of year. I've seen it around but never used it. They don't really promote it, just has the usual NFC icon.

Dammit now I'm hungry and it's not even 3pm. Thanks. :D

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
On the US West coast, most KFCs are bundled with another restaurant. Las Vegas has a number of KFC/Pizza Hut stores, and here in Sacramento, there are a few KFC/A&W stores. Does that mean that those restaurants are also accepting Apple Pay? And if so, would that mean that those stores that are solely the other restaurants are also accepting Apple Pay by extension?

BL.
We reached out to YUM! Brands about Pizza Hut and Taco Bell. They sold A&W but we'll see what we hear.

Reactions: Weaselboy

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
My local supermarket (a fairly large chain in the northeast) recently added full support for Apple Pay and it's awesome. I can now jog there and pay with my Apple Watch... It's so much faster than chip and PIN but they still make me sign which is silly.

Which chain is that? I know Shaws already accepts it - I've been using it there for over a year.

I know Market Basket will never accept Apple Pay - they still don't have so much as a website.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Which chain is that? I know Shaws already accepts it - I've been using it there for over a year.

I know Market Basket will never accept Apple Pay - they still don't have so much as a website.
I'm going to guess that its Hannaford?

Also my local KFC has had the Ingenico iPP350's since like February 2016 but they did not have NFC/EMV enabled the last time I was in there. But Long John Silver's uses the same system as KFC with IPP350's without NFC and EMV. So if LJS turns on NFC and its combined with an A&W then NFC should be enabled there as well and vise versa.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Now we just need to convince them to do the same here. Not too long ago KFC/Pizza Hut replaced all the terminals with new ones... that still don't support NFC. Meanwhile one of the supermarkets claims to support it, detects the NFC device, and then goes "swipe card" *headdesk*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.