Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, i get it too... But jeez, this is not some freaking company struggling to make ends meet, or a company with several years of declining profits....

You'd think they could toss customers a bone... Like the other poster said, this kind of nickle-and-diming breeds resentment, not loyalty when these customers run out of storage quickly.
It simply not a good business strategy in the long term.
Steve Jobs once declared that what brought Apple almost out of business was being too into profict margins, sacrificing the experience. Apple must make products that offer a great experience! This brings growth in the long term. Which is what's important, for the company and the costumers.

Reactions: recoil80

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You are not required to record 4K video. Also what extremely high utility does recording 4K video have if going to primarily keep this 4K video on the iphone that lacks a 4K screen? Most likely to get something out of recording 4K video you will move it to somewhere else that has a 4K screen. While moving it you can kick it off the phone. Vine/Periscope/Instagram video snippets are uploaded and can be chucked once done.

Uncompressed, 4k recording would eat up 16gb in under a minute. Obviously it will have heavy compression, but video currently already takes up a sizable chunk of storage. It's just a shame to have the technology in a device but then have to shell out hundreds to be able to actually use it to much of a degree. You have a 4k recording device in your pocket but are limited to just recording snippets unless you drop an extra $100-200 on a device that's already one of those most expensive of its kind. At the very least, it's a little disheartening.

matthewhuk

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
UK
True a
if they want people to move to the cloud they should at least up the pathetic 5GB free storage.
true and they should remember that the iPhone is a mobile device so we are not all always connected to the Internet 24/7 and on unlimited data!

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
It simply not a good business strategy in the long term.
Steve Jobs once declared that what brought Apple almost out of business was being too into profict margins, sacrificing the experience. Apple must make products that offer a great experience! This brings growth in the long term. Which is what's important, for the company and the costumers.

On that note, I went to a class taught by Edward Tufte, and he had an interesting comment that stuck:
"Apple does not do customer surveys or focus groups for their products that they're developing. They build great products, and people want them."

WOW.

I've build stuff, and have used customer feedback (beta tested it) to improve it, and the proof is in the the evidence. Both of our customers are happy with our work, so there are two paths to get to the same place.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
iPod touch has 4 storage tiers at exactly the same prices you wrote and is a smart move to save $50 and buy the 32GB instead of the 64. $50 is 20% of the price, so a huge saving.
But the real price of an iPhone is $649 so if you save $50 is less than 10% of its value.
I'd be happy to save $100 if the base model was 32GB, but in the 4 models scenario I think I'd buy the 64GB and spend $50 more.
Why view it is a percentage cost of the device and not just as a cost for more storage? When I'm shopping for a hard drive I don't sitnthere and decide how it relates to the total cost of the machine I'm putting it in. If I need s 2tb drive I'm shopping and comparing 2tb drives. Likewise if I needed 32gb storage on my phone (and not 64gb) then I would be shopping for 32gb storage.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Uncompressed, 4k recording would eat up 16gb in under a minute. Obviously it will have heavy compression, but video currently already takes up a sizable chunk of storage. It's just a shame to have the technology in a device but then have to shell out hundreds to be able to actually use it to much of a degree. You have a 4k recording device in your pocket but are limited to just recording snippets unless you drop an extra $100-200 on a device that's already one of those most expensive of its kind. At the very least, it's a little disheartening.
I think we're arguing the wrong side of this equation. I'd love to see more memory at the top end.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Apple apologists truly are annoying. I have many friends who can't update their phones or even receive picture text messages because they're out of storage. They can't take pictures. They can't record video. What a great experience.

Do these folks have backups of their phones? I have helped several people out of issues like this. It is extremely common the reason there is so much stuff on their phone is because either .

a. it is the only copy they have. Have to keep all these pictures because they only exist in one place. If deleted here on the phone/ipad then they are gone.... so "can't" delete because it is only one.

b. never really took a good look at what they have on the phone in terms of whether it is necessary or not. crappy photo with your friends heads cut off? Probably not worth saving. People shot like paparazzi photographers and never delete all the bad pics. Spring cleaning helps alot.

Another $50-100 can get 100's of GB of data storage capacity if simply do a local backup of the phone. Move the stuff don't need off and put new stuff on. Also not the end of the world if phone gets lost/stolen/breaks.

Some people keep their music on their phones because they don't have an unlimited data connection. Shocker. Some people store video on their phones so they can watch a movie/TV show on the bus or train.

Which lots of folks did back when phones were no where near this large in capacity and 16GB was the top end. There is a difference between an hour or two of music and I need to keep a local mirror of a 60 hours of entertainment.

Commute content isn't really a huge need driver. "Take the vast majority of my media content" with me is one. For a commute though, Watch it/ listen to it and then move on; delete and add some new stuff for next day.
My Tivo is a TV content time shifter not a TV content archiver of everything. iPhone can easily be used the same way.

Reactions: Azzin

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
I just found out about the Sony announcement with their new phones.

How incredible. The Z5 premium dual sim is mind blowing.

4K DISPLAY, 4K recording, waterproof, chrome/black mirrored finish, 2 days of battery life, fingerprint reader built into the power button, hi-resolution audio, octa-core processor, and a 23 mp camera.

I wasn't that excited about the new iPhones, but now I'm definitely not the least bit interested. My only excitement about the upcoming announcements is Apple Pay. Apple desperately needs to improve their phones.

Zelmung

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Vancouver
16GB is terrible (let alone 8GB that they still sell). Don't forget, you actually start with about 12GB of usable space.

I myself would purchase 64 or 128 anyway, but I help people quite often with their iOS devices. And so many buy the base level. I recently used a 16GB device. Kept only a handful of apps, and everything cloud based (iCloud Photo Library, Apple Music, etc). Well, even with optimize storage and keeping only a dozen or so apps, within days I was left with 500MB of free space. What happens on a new iPhone when shooting 12mp photos and 4K video?

App thinning and new way of updating with iOS 9 aside, it's still just a terrible experience. Money and margins aside, customer experience is really starting to get affected. I can't imagine in 2 years when people are still using 16GB devices.

The 4K video would take up icloud storage, not phone storage. Some people would rather pay $1 a month for a total of 36GB of storage (phone and icloud combined) than pay an extra hundred dollars upfront for 32GB, or even 64 for that matter.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
So by dropping 32gig they hope to push upgraders to 64 gig and charge them through the teeth for it.

Well, the 64 Gb upgrade costs what normally the next upgrade from 16 Gb cost in Apple's pricing scheme. They are still charging a premium, but for the same price as previously 32 you now have 64, regardless of the ridiculousness of a 16 Gb entry point.

Reactions: Azzin

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013

4K DISPLAY, 4K recording, waterproof, chrome/black mirrored finish, 2 days of battery life, fingerprint reader built into the power button, hi-resolution audio, octa-core processor, and a 23 mp camera.

I wasn't that excited about the new iPhones, but now I'm definitely not the least bit interested. My only excitement about the upcoming announcements is Apple Pay. Apple desperately needs to improve their phones.
Really...these are overkill specs on a phone but I wouldn't mind getting them on an Iphone.

However, what would Apple do for next year? They have to think about next year's upgrade.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
What's the cost difference between 16GB and 32GB? A buck or two? The RAM is where Apple really makes money on the iPhone - paying a couple of hundred of extra dollars to upgrade to 128GB for a few dollars worth of RAM is a big profit margin. Even in pushing the cloud services, camera resolution alone should mandate a base of 32 GB.
Your main idea is correct.

however ram and hard drive/solid state disk/flash storage are two different things. just fyi

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The 4K video would take up icloud storage, not phone storage. Some people would rather pay $1 a month for a total of 36GB of storage (phone and icloud combined) than pay an extra hundred dollars upfront for 32GB, or even 64 for that matter.

Locally it will have to get pretty aggressive with the 'optimize phone storage' option turned on.

For day to day users there's so much benefit to using iCloud Photo Library - all photos and videos syncing and not needing to worry about backing them up from the phone, but then you run into the next issue, people hesitating to spend $ on iCloud storage (which I think is a no brainer, but SO many people I help refuse to pay).

And still, even with iCPL and Optimize turned on, you'll run into storage issues rather quick on a 12GB iPhone.

Reactions: agsystems

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
You won't be able to use 4K recording with 16GB

Is this correct? 1 minute of uncompressed 4k would be 26GB

Forget 16gb, even you have 128GB, 4k would be useless.

upload_2015-9-3_13-43-22.png

http://web.forret.com/tools/video_f...160&fps=24&interlace=on&space=rgb444&depth=12

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007

This should make every iPhone user and anyone considering an iPhone fill with embarrassment. While an argument can be made about the practicalities of grafting a 4K display on a phone, the fact remains that it still has a better display than any iPhone while also managing to have not just mere better battery life but geometrically better battery life. And while I'm sure the iPhone will reach the realm of these specs eventually, Android users—like with larger displays, more megapixels, NFC, OLED, Notification and Control Center—will have the pleasure of enjoying these features long before Apple decides to invent them—just in time as Android users are moving on to the next big thing.

There is the old myth that Apple products are merely yesteryear technology packaged in a sleek aluminum body. I never believed that. But steadily, Apple is adopting the ideology that they can really cobble together older technology and skimp on RAM and GB in a somewhat nice aluminum body and stamp it with a shiny Apple logo and people will enthusiastically pay the outrageous retail price. It is not a surprise that the iPhone 6 notably has an improved Apple logo while the rest of the device's aesthetic looks like a Fisher Price toy.

With companies like Samsung and Sony, you get the cutting edge. With Apple, you get hyperbole.

Remember: If it's not an iPhone (16 GB), it's not an iPhone (16 GB).

adh328

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange County, CA
If Apple paid the SAME costs for 16 gig and 32 gig, Apple would still offer the 16 gig as the entry level.

Why? Too many people would be happy with the 32-gig and not bother upgrading to the more profitable 64 gig model. This creates market differentiation that they hope will create an artificial need for the much higher priced 64-gig model. It is a forced up sell.

Folks, this is simple: Don't upgrade if you don't need the 64-gig model. Keep your money. Is it really burning a hole in your pocket? Are you living on credit, for god's sake? Apple will offer you the model you want -- at most -- in another year. Possibly less -- 6 months -- if this blatant marketing exploit smacks back in their faces. Vote with your pocketbook or be a brainless sheep.

What does my post have to do with yours? lol

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Apple happens to make their base business model available to consumers as well. If you don't want this, consider the 64GB to be the base model. Problem solved.

Hey! Apple just introduced a consumer iPhone with a 64Gb base model!!!!
You miss the point. Apple wants to be able to claim/advertise a certain "low" price point for their entry level phone, but where we are at today with app, music, video, and picture sizes, 16GB is hardly consumer friendly.

Reactions: navaira

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
LMAO @ all the Apple sheep and fanboys who defend the 16GB in 2015. It's gonna be the same stupid arguments:

"Don't like 16GB, buy 64gb then."
"Don't like 16GB, let's drop the 16GB model altogether and keep the higher capacity models at the same price then."
"There are people who don't need more than 16GB"
"16GB allows Apple to put in higher quality components"

Miss any?

Sure, I'll take 32GB at the same price point. The argument isn't that 16GB is somehow better at the same price point as 32GB--the argument is whether or not 16GB is way too small. For many of us, it's not.

I have Wi-Fi and work and at home, which is where I am 99% of the time. Streaming provides a much larger catalog than I could ever carry on the phone itself, and I don't have to spend time managing what I sync.

Many of us simply don't need the space. Having a different use case than you doesn't make us sheep. I honestly don't know what people with, say, a 128GB phone put on there...but I accept that people have difference preferences and needs.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
May be good idea to pick a color different from iPhone 6, otherwise users will be carrying the wrong phone with them constantly :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.