Kinda Sad - Flaws on new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mungk, Feb 11, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

After a month and half of waiting I just received my BTO 27 i7 3.4ghz with 1tb fusion. First thing I did was to check the hard drive and was dismayed that it shipped with a western digital. I then checked for yellow screen and theres definitely some yellowing and smudging in the lower third. Thankfully there are no dead pixels.

I dunno, I spent so much money on this thing that I kinda wish it was perfect. I'm sure i'll get over it like I did when I dented my brand new mbp but in the meantime I think I need a group hug.

2. macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

3. macrumors 6502

LMAO, people are now complaining about getting WD HDD's? Lets see a picture of the yellowing.

4. macrumors 603

Unfortunately it happens, and I agree it's a bit ridiculous that Apple is sourcing two hard drive manufacturers with wildly varying performance. I understand multiple sources, but this is kinda nuts. It's like buying a Ferrari 458 Italia and not knowing what kind of engine you're going to get. OK, so it's really nothing like that, but you get the point...

I picked up an iMac 27" fusion today at the Apple Store, and it had the WD drive in it, too. It also had the worst bleed I've ever seen on a consumer electronics device. I exchanged it and the one I got is "better," and came with the Seagate drive. Luck of the draw...

5. macrumors regular

What's wrong with WD? They're probably the most reliable HDD brand around... :confused:

6. macrumors 603

Nothing wrong with them as a brand. It's the performance of the WD vs the Seagate in the iMacs. The Seagate is quite significantly faster in every respect.

7. macrumors member

keogh

I think I'd prefer the WD, I've had 3 Seagates HDDs in the past and they all died after 2 years, I vowed never to get one again.

To add to all that, a few months back I get an email from Apple about my mid-2010 iMac:

I have a 256GB M4 SSD in there anyway, so don't matter.

So never Seagate for me, all my HDDs since have been WD, never (touch wood) had a single problem with them... and some have been running for years and years daily.

8. macrumors member

This is just a guess, but perhaps there have been issues with the seagate and they are going with WD instead? I say that because my maxed out 27inch iMac came with a faulty HD; I checked, and it's the Seagate.

9. macrumors 6502

Man you can consider your self lucky if you have a WD, it might be less performing but from experience is more reliable... it's pointless having a Ferrari if it breaks down en route!

10. macrumors newbie

Sorry to sound completely stupid but how do you find out which make of hard drive you have?
    Secondly I looked at the hard drive under system preferences and it said available space 3TB but used space 3TB .How is this possible on a brand new IMAC when I have not loaded anything apart from Java ?

11. macrumors 603

Click the Apple in the top left, then About This Mac, then More Info, System Report, choose Serial-ATA, and look for the drive. It will either me an "ST" (Seagate) or a "WD" (Western Digital). I think all the 3TB drives are Seagates anyway.

12. macrumors 68040

xgman

Than a black WD? Show me the proof of this!

13. macrumors 603

14. macrumors 6502

15. macrumors 603

That's the Seagate drive. "ST"