Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mungk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
After a month and half of waiting I just received my BTO 27 i7 3.4ghz with 1tb fusion. First thing I did was to check the hard drive and was dismayed that it shipped with a western digital. I then checked for yellow screen and theres definitely some yellowing and smudging in the lower third. Thankfully there are no dead pixels.

I dunno, I spent so much money on this thing that I kinda wish it was perfect. I'm sure i'll get over it like I did when I dented my brand new mbp but in the meantime I think I need a group hug.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
After a month and half of waiting I just received my BTO 27 i7 3.4ghz with 1tb fusion. First thing I did was to check the hard drive and was dismayed that it shipped with a western digital. I then checked for yellow screen and theres definitely some yellowing and smudging in the lower third. Thankfully there are no dead pixels.

I dunno, I spent so much money on this thing that I kinda wish it was perfect. I'm sure i'll get over it like I did when I dented my brand new mbp but in the meantime I think I need a group hug.

Unfortunately it happens, and I agree it's a bit ridiculous that Apple is sourcing two hard drive manufacturers with wildly varying performance. I understand multiple sources, but this is kinda nuts. It's like buying a Ferrari 458 Italia and not knowing what kind of engine you're going to get. OK, so it's really nothing like that, but you get the point...

I picked up an iMac 27" fusion today at the Apple Store, and it had the WD drive in it, too. It also had the worst bleed I've ever seen on a consumer electronics device. I exchanged it and the one I got is "better," and came with the Seagate drive. Luck of the draw...

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK
Nothing wrong with them as a brand. It's the performance of the WD vs the Seagate in the iMacs. The Seagate is quite significantly faster in every respect.

I think I'd prefer the WD, I've had 3 Seagates HDDs in the past and they all died after 2 years, I vowed never to get one again.

To add to all that, a few months back I get an email from Apple about my mid-2010 iMac:

Apple has determined that certain 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

I have a 256GB M4 SSD in there anyway, so don't matter.

So never Seagate for me, all my HDDs since have been WD, never (touch wood) had a single problem with them... and some have been running for years and years daily.

pete78

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
This is just a guess, but perhaps there have been issues with the seagate and they are going with WD instead? I say that because my maxed out 27inch iMac came with a faulty HD; I checked, and it's the Seagate.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Man you can consider your self lucky if you have a WD, it might be less performing but from experience is more reliable... it's pointless having a Ferrari if it breaks down en route!

Nicola1on1

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
Sorry to sound completely stupid but how do you find out which make of hard drive you have?
Secondly I looked at the hard drive under system preferences and it said available space 3TB but used space 3TB .How is this possible on a brand new IMAC when I have not loaded anything apart from Java ?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Sorry to sound completely stupid but how do you find out which make of hard drive you have?
Secondly I looked at the hard drive under system preferences and it said available space 3TB but used space 3TB .How is this possible on a brand new IMAC when I have not loaded anything apart from Java ?

Click the Apple in the top left, then About This Mac, then More Info, System Report, choose Serial-ATA, and look for the drive. It will either me an "ST" (Seagate) or a "WD" (Western Digital). I think all the 3TB drives are Seagates anyway.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Nothing wrong with them as a brand. It's the performance of the WD vs the Seagate in the iMacs. The Seagate is quite significantly faster in every respect.

Than a black WD? Show me the proof of this!

knoxtown

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2007
Everywhere
Apple HDD? :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.36.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.36.20 PM.png
    18 KB · Views: 416
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.