Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huedrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Hi, I'm pretty sure there was Amazon Kindle for iOS 5. Does anybody still have this running these days, does it connect correctly to Amazon?
And, the even more important question: where and how can I obtain a copy of Kindle for the iPad 1st Gen? I already tried installing Kindle on a new iPhone and then install it via the purchased items tab on the iPad. But I had no success.
Apptimemachine.com seems to be dead. I'm willing to jailbreak the iPad of there is a working .ipa somewhere. Would a trick via Cydia help?

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
2021: look up how to add Checkmate: Store! To Cydia and then use the App Store normally.

I think the key though is that you have to already own the apps, but it will often give the option to download the “last compatible version”

Reactions: huedrant

huedrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Amazing! Thanks a ton for this hint!

For others that want to use Kindle on iOS5 in 2021, too, follow these steps:

1. Jailbreak your device (I used grayd00r for ipad 1)
  2. Open Cydia
  3. Add https://cydia.invoxiplaygames.uk/ as a source to the sources / repos tab in Cydia and apply the changes
  4. After Respring, open the App Store
  5. Search for the Kindle App and hit Install. This may take a while. My Apple login dialog got hidden, so I had to push the home button. After that I could log in and install.
  6. Once Kindle is installed, open it.
  7. To log in, enter your Amazon Mail and Password. The App will report an error that your account is unknown if OTP is activated for your Amazon account. If so, you should receive a SMS on your mobile phone with a 6-digit One-Time-Password. Now, prepend this number to your password and enter this combination.
    1. For example, if your OTP is 123456 and your Password is macROUMORS, the resulting string to enter would be 123456macROUMORS
    2. This will work and show all your kindle books that can be synced.
Enjoy your ancient hardware in 2021!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.