Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Knock, a newly released app for both iOS and Mac, is designed to allow users to unlock their Macs via Bluetooth with an iPhone, replacing traditional password logins.

After downloading the Knock app for iOS and the accompanying app for the Mac, an iPhone can unlock a connected Mac with two knocks on the back of the iPhone. The iOS app pairs specifically with the Mac app, which creates a secure connection between the two, and the process does not require opening the Knock app.

Faster and safer than typing a password, for iOS and Mac.

You keep your iPhone with you all the time. Now you can use it as a password. You never have to open the app-- just knock on your phone twice, even when it's in your pocket, and you're in.

Using Knock won't drain your iPhone's battery, even if you use it all day every day. Knock securely communicates with your Mac using Bluetooth Low Energy, a new technology that draws very little power.
Because it uses Low Energy Bluetooth 4.0, Knock is compatible with the iPhone 4s or newer, along with the 2011 MacBook Air or newer, the 2012 MacBook Pro or newer, the 2012 iMac or newer, the 2011 Mac mini or newer and the 2013 Mac Pro.

Knock for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for $3.99 [Direct Link]. The accompanying Mac app can be downloaded from the Knock website for free.

Article Link: 'Knock' iOS App Uses Bluetooth 4.0 to Replace Password Unlocking on Macs

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Watching him knock on the glass of that phone just made me cringe.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
Just make sure you remember to knock the back of your iPhone!

Unless you have a naked iPhone 4S, that is. Given how easily I've seen the backs of iPhone 4/4S break, knocking it anywhere is probably best avoided.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
'Knock' iOS App Uses Bluetooth 4.0 to Replace Password Unlocking on Macs

Just make sure you remember to knock the back of your iPhone!

Unless you have a naked iPhone 4S, that is. Given how easily I've seen the backs of iPhone 4/4S break, knocking it anywhere is probably best avoided.

I think you're exaggerating. They said knock, not punch :p

Sure drops might break it but simply knocking can't possibly break the back unless there was already serious structural damage.

Bariwasmypart

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Excited for expansion

From what I can tell it only supports one Mac at a time the functionality to unlock multiple computers simultaneously would be preferable.:D

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I guess this using the new iBeacons technology in iOS 7?

The Mac acts as an iBeacon, and when the iPhone comes within range, iOS wakes up the Knock app automatically so it can listen for the "knock" using the accelerometer.

Cool idea and a novel use of Bluetooth LE. Well done!

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I decided to get it just to try it out, its actually very easy to unlock, I accidentally unlocked by picking my iPhone 5 off the table.
It also works on just tapping. So don't worry about knocking hard!

I will continue to use this however, living in a uni house everyone is trying to hack others computers etc as pranks. This is going to help greatly!

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
I would have liked unlocking my mac by simply keeping my iPhone "gently" next to it.

But Bluetooth 4 is picking up now, hope Apple upgrades battery hungry MagicMouse to a low power one!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
OK so I know this come across as totally shill-y, but hell, - the idea of this sounded too much fun so I just grabbed it. Honestly, even the installation process is more polished than I could imagine.

And it works, perfectly. I put my phone in my pocket, glass facing in, in the Apple iPhone 5s leather case, and tapping the back of the phone twice unlocks the iMac perfectly.

I did find that the accelerometer sensitivity is lower at the bottom of the 5s than the top, so I just tap more toward the top of the phone (which is actually at the bottom of my pocket).

Anyway, A+ to the developers, - this is a seriously slick app.

PS Using this with 2012 iMac.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
The guy in the video looks like a giant douche with his silly beard. I'd like to "knock" him. In the face.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
Why doesn't it work with the MBP late 2010? I checked the bluetooth and I have 4.0. Any ideas?

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
The guy in the video looks like a giant douche with his silly beard. I'd like to "knock" him. In the face.

Honestly, I expected the beard to magically disappear in sync with the ease of unlocking the computer. I was shocked to see his beard intact at the end.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
I think you're exaggerating. They said knock, not punch :p

Depends who's doing the knocking. :p

Yes, it takes force to break an iPhone4 back, but not as much as you'd think. I know somehow who simply misjudged the position of a shelf and caught the corner of their iPhone4 on it. Crack! :(

Apple replaced it of course, but still inconvenient, and they could call deliberate damage in this App's case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.