Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B. McKechnie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Toronto, Ontatio, Canada
My LaCie 320GB FireWire HD crashed recently and will only let me format now. When I try to VERIFY/REPAIR DISK I get this error message:

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Is there anything I can try besides buying software like DiskWarrior, before formatting the drive and losing all my data?

Anyone else experience this same problem? My two 120GB drives have never been a problem and I am wondering if this drive has gone bad.

Thanks in advance.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
B. McKechnie said:
My LaCie 320GB FireWire HD crashed recently and will only let me format now. When I try to VERIFY/REPAIR DISK I get this error message:

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Is there anything I can try besides buying software like DiskWarrior, before formatting the drive and losing all my data?

Anyone else experience this same problem? My two 120GB drives have never been a problem and I am wondering if this drive has gone bad.

Thanks in advance.
The first thing I'd do is launch Apple System Profiler and see what it tells you about the drive in question. Information there may clue you in as to the root cause of the problem you're experiencing.

cmoney

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
I would just bite the bullet and buy the repair software. I've gone down that road before and Apple's utilities won't do much to bring it back. I've had great results with Data Rescue. It restored things that DiskWarrior said was gone forever, and that's after I let DiskWarrior run twice (potentially increasing the physical damage).

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
LaCie? French for POS?

I'd return that piece of crap LaCie disk, if you can. I'm gonna have to do the same with my LaCie Big Disk. Managed to pull most of the data off it the first time I got bad sectors. Reformatted. After a while, bad sectors started reappearing. This is my backup drive. Doesn't really help if you can't trust your backup drive to keep your files intact. :mad:

B. McKechnie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Toronto, Ontatio, Canada
Dejo,

That is actually what happened to me. About a week ago it went bad but I was able to retrieve my files. I formatted the drive and moved those files back to the drive and then this! Pretty useless back-up drive since it just ate all my work.

Mine is still under warranty but LaCie has not returned my email or phone call.

From what I have heard DataWarrior, etc. will not be able to fix the problem either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.