Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
Issue is partly Lion

I know many of my clients have held off on upgrading because they don't like Lion.

Which is sad because, Apple is so close to having a really fantastic operating system. Unfortunately, a few easily fixed issues are blocking wider acceptance.

Versions - Great Idea, implementation needs refinement

Versions needs to provide users with an option to change default behavior for specific apps. Versions can be useful in Pages or Numbers but it can be a real irritant in Preview. An option to change Versions default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info. My clients and I would love to have the ability to turn off versions for several apps.

Restore Save As along with Save A Version - Save As did two things easily, new name, new location. The new system of Duplicate, Save A Version and Export is not as easy or useful as Save As. Windows switchers in particular are irate over the loss of Save As.

Resume – Good Idea, implementation needs refinement

Resume needs to provide users with an option to change default behavior for specific apps. Resume can be useful in Safari but it can be a real irritant in Preview or Quicktime. An option to change Resume's default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info. Clients will be satisfied with the ability to turn off Resume. (What if payroll was the last document open)?

Please See:

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/09/07/apple_mac_os_x_lion_the_nanny_os/

Automatic Application Termination - modify implementation

Automatic Termination needs an option to change system wide default behavior. Automatic Application Termination might be useful for some users but it can be a real irritant for experienced users. Clients frequently open up programs such as Grab and Preview and switch to them as necessary via the dock or command tab. These programs frequently don't have an open window, however, they are used for a minute or two several times an hour.

When the application automatically terminates without user permission, it is the same to the user as an application crash!

Please See http://vimeo.com/34711608

Reopen Windows Next Time

Option in System Preferences to eliminate “reopen windows next time”. (Reduce the frustration of having to recheck this option each time the computer is restarted). It would be nice if Mountain Lion would allow users to permanently set preferences so the question never appeared.

AutoSave

Initially, my clients and I thought this feature was going to be great. However, we have discovered that we work with a lot of files that we don't always want to save. PDF files, experimental photo modifications, trial letters etc. We really don't want all of these extra files cluttering up our computers. AutoSave needs to provide users with an option to change the default behavior for specific apps. AutoSave can be useful in Pages or Numbers but it can be a real irritant in Preview. An option to change AutoSave default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info. Clients will be satisfied with the ability to control AutoSave.

Restore option for colored icons in finder sidebar - Colored icons really help in providing tech support to clients.

Finder

Restore the option at the bottom of the finder window to show number of files selected and the Space available on the hard disk.

Restore Quick Look – zoom in on pdfs

Columns that resize properly in “Kind View"

Optional restoration of scroll arrows

This is a major issue when the computer requires small steady input - photo and video editing, spreadsheets, databases etc.

Please see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3252617?start=0&tstart=0

Mouse Speed & Acceleration

Need an option to set both mouse pointer speed and acceleration curve. (Most frequent complaint I receive from former Windows users).

Green Zoom Button Behavior

Option in System Preferences to set Green Zoom button to Window Maximize - (Window fills screen except for Dock). As it stands now it is up to each developer how this function works therefore the behavior is very inconsistent.
Second most frequent complaint I receive from Windows switchers.

Client Comment:

"I have looked at the iMac carefully, as my kids have one at home. Even though I'd like to switch to Apple, I find two issues with the Mac unacceptable for my purposes .

The inability to fully maximize a program is irritating, as I am used to doing that regularly. Also the cursor movements with the mouse are too jerky. Unfortunately these 2 features will force me to continue down the Microsoft OS path."

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
This is the post-PC era duh!

With Tim Cook in charge we might be seeing more substantial changes in Apple's hardware strategy. We already know that the iDevices have priority over the Mac lineup... hopefully they don't drop the ball completely (ditching the Mac Pro, integrated graphics only MBP etc.)

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
This quarter financial results will be like the financial results quarter before the iPhone 4S came out. It will be good, but not to investors expectations.

I hope I am wrong.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I know many of my clients have held off on upgrading because they don't like Lion.

AutoSave

Initially, my clients and I thought this feature was going to be great. However, we have discovered that we work with a lot of files that we don't always want to save. PDF files, experimental photo modifications, trial letters etc. We really don't want all of these extra files cluttering up our computers. AutoSave needs to provide users with an option to change the default behavior for specific apps. AutoSave can be useful in Pages or Numbers but it can be a real irritant in Preview. An option to change AutoSave default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info. Clients will be satisfied with the ability to control AutoSave.

I agree with you about Lion, and in particular about AutoSave, so I have only quoted those parts for brevity. I only recently updated so that I could have the latest Xcode, but hadn't done it before as I saw nothing I needed. Now I have it, there are several irritations such as AutoSave.

But I don't think that is the major reason for sales stagnation. I think the original story has it right. Many are waiting for model updates, particularly anyone who frequents these forums and anyone who goes to forum members for advice.

However, it is stagnation when the market has contracted. so Apple market share is up. Yay!

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Smart people are waiting on Ivy Bridge.
This will be a small incremental upgrade if you bought a Mac in the last few years.

I think when people pay $1200-2000 for a computer, they want to use it for at least +5 years.

Most people don't upgrade every 1-2 years.

People who own an Apple computer are most likely satisfied with it's performance and use and have no need to upgrade.

Also, smart phones & tablets are replacing some desktops/laptops that were mainly used to surf the web, email and light entertainment.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I know many of my clients have held off on upgrading because they don't like Lion.SNIP

I agree with all your points 100%. I upgraded some of our staff laptops at work to Lion by request of those staff members, and they cannot stand the new features you mention, 'Versions' in particular. To my (and their) minds, all the new features in 'Lion' have tried to fix problems that did not need fixing, or replacing file management paradigms that worked absolutely perfectly and have done for decades. If you're going to have 'Versions', at least have it as a feature you can turn on or off. Personally i hate it, and i'm always open to new ways of doing things. Also, if you're saving documents on any kind of network, be it SMB, or even AFP, 'Versions' doesn't work. It's made our lives so much harder it's untrue. Two of our staff demanded i put Snow Leopard back on just because of that.

'Resume' is also a gigantic pain in the ass, especially as even if you turn it off it stays on with most apps. The one which really gets me in your list though is the maximise button. They've had so many versions of OSX to fix this, and they still haven't. I'm also annoyed they got rid of the tablet button, because disk images and some other folders will still open in one of those windows without the title bar, and now you have to go into a menu to bring it back.

'Autosave' annoys me personally the most. I often open up an image in 'Preview' and just change the colours or rotate it just to see what it looks like, never intending to save it. I will close it down, then open it a day later and notice to my horror that despite my not saving it, it has kept the changes i made. I REALLY don't like that. I want to choose if i save it or not.

At the very least i expect these things to be fixed in 'Mountain Lion', as a lot of people have complained about this to me, and i know so many people have made their feelings known to Apple about this. Quite honestly, it should all be fixed in Lion as a free update, but i doubt that'll happen as it would have already i imagine.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Knowing would also affect sales.

Yah but not knowing has already affected sales. It's half a dozen one...

People know the refresh cycle of almost every product of Apple's due to the information out there that has been gathered over the years.

We all know iPads, iPhones, iPods come out every year almost like clockwork in the same month (minus the last iPhone 4s). We all know MBPros and iMacs and MBAirs refresh also in the same time periods as always.

Again, it's not like this information is not out there.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
This will be a small incremental upgrade if you bought a Mac in the last few years.

I think when people pay $1200-2000 for a computer, they want to use it for at least +5 years.

Most people don't upgrade every 1-2 years.

People who own an Apple computer are most likely satisfied with it's performance and use and have no need to upgrade.

Also, smart phones & tablets are replacing some desktops/laptops that were mainly used to surf the web, email and light entertainment.

Sure IVY bridge won't be as big as Sandy Bridge was, but it's still a major update. The bigger update is the possible unibody refresh and no SSD or OD along with Retina displays...and additional high graphic capabilities due to the additional space with the removal of the OD.

patohi

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
I want a desktop cpu and desktop gpu in a mac mini....= a new mac cube....
still waiting for mid tower performance.... I don't like all in ones(imac) and don't like the pro because its overkill...... maybe they will nix the pro and have a new tower priced the same as the imacs with non xeon chips?

If not i will continue to build my own systems.....

desktop cpu and gpu TDP is is much improved
its time for apple to use these cheaper parts
they can lower prices, increase performance and make the same amount of money....

lanceh5

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
We are in a post-PC era. The new Macs and PC will be some what faster (10-20%) then the current models. For most people this is not too significant except for the users that are in high production business ($/hours). For most of us the 5 year old iMacs are handling our needs. The reason that will cause us to upgrade will be the unique features in the future operating system such as Mountain Lion and beyond.

I use the iPad 2 now for most of the routine needs with the 2008 MacBook, 2010 Mac server, 2007 iMac and 2009 iMac doing the more specialized tasks. These machines will probably be only replaced when they fail such as the old G4 Mac.

Yes, I would like to buy one of the new Macs when they come out but I don't need one. The current ones are doing just fine.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
My PC hit the crapper

My PC hit the crapper, so I got a macbook pro. I helped with the sales ;) But I had no choice to wait. But I'm still waiting, as when Ivy comes out, I'm upgrading in a heartbeat.

Tali

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
One more thing about Lion: it feels slower. I recently had to add a small Snow Leopard partition in order to use the ClearScan feature in Acrobat 9 (Adobe only support it on Acrobat X with 10.7 but I don't use it often enough to justify the expense).
If you have been using Lion for a while, try running a Snow Leopard partition for kicks. It's that much faster. Boot time, time spent for opening files. I have yet to compare render speeds or something like it, the overall feel just reminds me of the difference I experienced when I first used a Mac. Everything worked instantly while with Windows you always had that .2 sec lag and the dreadful thought in the back of your head that everything might just crash. Lion brought that back.
Oh and memory leaks. Safari 14.5 GB web content ram usage? No problem!
Sadly, I don't have the time to fully convert back to 10.6 but I hope, and I really hope, that 10.8 will be better.

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
Sold my 2009 MBP in preparation for these new ones! Cant wait! Hope I dont get disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.