Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
nothing has to really change for the 6c to go into production. Maybe its just the same look with new innards. Why complicate it and ramp up costs?

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
My guess is that the 6C will be the current 5C with upgraded internals, NFC and Touch ID.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
Isn't it interesting how this is probably the first time that nobody knows exactly what Apple will do to their iPhone lineup?

I was just thinking this!! Apple has become very unpredictable. A few years ago we knew EXACTLY what they'd do with the lineup, now it's a guessing game.

OneZweiThree

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Bavaria
I think, the 6/6+ definitely won't stay in the lineup. Not enough differences to the s version. Also this strategy really worked out for them with the 5c.
I think we will have
6s/plus
6c (don't know about plus here)
5s/c (maybe better specs and I could see them using the c enclosure)

Maybe they will maintain a 4" version with 1 year old specs in the long run, which would be fine for me.
But I guess, they don't want to have two same looking phones (5/5s or now 6/6s) in the lineup, so people will always buy the newer model.

Reactions: bhayes444

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I think, the 6/6+ definitely won't stay in the lineup. Not enough differences to the s version. Also this strategy really worked out for them with the 5c.
I think we will have
6s/plus
6c (don't know about plus here)
5s/c (maybe better specs and I could see them using the c enclosure)

Maybe they will maintain a 4" version with 1 year old specs in the long run, which would be fine for me.
But I guess, they don't want to have two same looking phones (5/5s or now 6/6s) in the lineup, so people will always buy the newer model.

I just can't see the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus both getting discontinued. Maybe they will I don't know but I just can't see both of them just having production stopped. The sales have been so good on the iPhone 6 and 6+. Much better then the sales of the iPhone 5.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I just can't see the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus both getting discontinued. Maybe they will I don't know but I just can't see both of them just having production stopped. The sales have been so good on the iPhone 6 and 6+. Much better then the sales of the iPhone 5.
True, the sales have been better, but the discontinuation of the 5 was unexpected as well. If leaks are correct then the 6S will have a slightly redesigned body, for new logic board and possible strengthening, while just replacing the internals. They could easily just use the same production lines while throwing in the new logic board and ramp up production rather quickly and with a very high yield. The lineup gets really confusing with a 6S, 6S+, 6, 6+, 5S/C, and a possible 6C. I feel, and hope, they don't have that much going on and try to trim it down a little.

Reactions: Tthomas612

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
True, the sales have been better, but the discontinuation of the 5 was unexpected as well. If leaks are correct then the 6S will have a slightly redesigned body, for new logic board and possible strengthening, while just replacing the internals. They could easily just use the same production lines while throwing in the new logic board and ramp up production rather quickly and with a very high yield. The lineup gets really confusing with a 6S, 6S+, 6, 6+, 5S/C, and a possible 6C. I feel, and hope, they don't have that much going on and try to trim it down a little.

My guess is that the 5c gets DC'd and there was no 6c to begin with. Therefore Apple releases two new iPhones in the fall the 6s and 6s Plus. The 6 and 6 plus drop down by $100 and that's it. So then your lineup gets interesting.

You'll have the 6 plus 16gb at the same price as the 6s 16 gb. Therefore you'll have the option of an5.5" or 4.7" screen at $199. Then at $99 you get the 16 go iPhone 6.

iPhone 6s plus $299
iPhone 6 Plus $199

iPhone 6s $199
iPhone 6 $99 for 16 gb and $149 for 32 GB.

iPhone 5s will be free on contract and come with 16 GB (hopeful)

Of course I'm just guessing but it seems logical to me

Reactions: bhayes444

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Hopefully lineup may be:

6s+
6s
6s mini a9 metal, 4 inch
6c a8 chip, similar shell as 5c, touch id, apple pay 16-32gb. Basically a iphone 6 with a smaller display( less res) and plastic

Basically cheapest model will have all the necessary features. However if a user wants a larger display or metal body and the latest specs, they would need to dish out more. Additionally cheapest model will provide a smooth experience as well

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
You guys are crazy....they're not going to launch 4 different phones at once.

I'm pretty sure the only reason the 5c even exists was to eliminate the 5 and it's "scratchgate" prone annodizing. The 5s had improved metal antenna bands that weren't as susceptible to wear. It was the same internals anyways. There's really not any incentive for them to keep a "c" model if the 6 and 6+ will still work as the discounted year old models.

4" screens....dead. Not coming back. Not this year at least.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
You guys are crazy....they're not going to launch 4 different phones at once.

I'm pretty sure the only reason the 5c even exists was to eliminate the 5 and it's "scratchgate" prone annodizing. The 5s had improved metal antenna bands that weren't as susceptible to wear. It was the same internals anyways. There's really not any incentive for them to keep a "c" model if the 6 and 6+ will still work as the discounted year old models.

4" screens....dead. Not coming back. Not this year at least.
No, the 5C exists to protect gross margins (which were dropping fast at the time).

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
A 4"-ish 6C is the the only phone I will buy this year - Otherwise it's another year of the 5s.

I guess I'm in the extreme minority - I simply don't want a larger than 5s size device. If the screen gets slightly bigger and the bezels shrink (i.e. device stays similarly sized) -- that's fine, but otherwise, no thanks.

I actually bought and re-sold the iPhone 6 two separate times trying to give it a go - Never lasted more than 2 weeks. It's just too big and clumsy for what I want out of a phone.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I guess I'm in the extreme minority - I simply don't want a larger than 5s size device.
I think it's a very, um, sizeable minority who would *prefer* a phone of iP5-ish dimensions, but if the 6 becomes the 6S becomes the 7 and Apple aren't offering a more compact model, then the large majority will indeed end up going large rather than going elsewhere.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I think it's a very, um, sizeable minority who would *prefer* a phone of iP5-ish dimensions, but if the 6 becomes the 6S becomes the 7 and Apple aren't offering a more compact model, then the large majority will indeed end up going large rather than going elsewhere.

I really don't know what I'll do. As I'd mentioned, I've tried the 6 twice and just flat out hate phones that size and bigger. Ugh.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
My guess is that the 5c gets DC'd and there was no 6c to begin with. Therefore Apple releases two new iPhones in the fall the 6s and 6s Plus. The 6 and 6 plus drop down by $100 and that's it. So then your lineup gets interesting.

You'll have the 6 plus 16gb at the same price as the 6s 16 gb. Therefore you'll have the option of an5.5" or 4.7" screen at $199. Then at $99 you get the 16 go iPhone 6.

iPhone 6s plus $299
iPhone 6 Plus $199

iPhone 6s $199
iPhone 6 $99 for 16 gb and $149 for 32 GB.

iPhone 5s will be free on contract and come with 16 GB (hopeful)

Of course I'm just guessing but it seems logical to me

I see Apple dropping the 6 Plus entirely. If you want a large screen iPhone you're gonna need to get the latest generation. Very reason, I think, the 5c never came in black as Apple considered it a 'premium' color.

What I think the iPhone line up will look like this year (pricing = on-contract/off contract):

6s Plus: $299/$750 for 32GB
6s: $199/$650 for 32GB
6: $99/$550 for 16GB (32GB model possible at $150/$600)
5s: $0/$450 for 16GB (32GB model possible at $50/$500)

I don't see them releasing an iPhone 6c at this point, and personally I don't think it's gonna really be needed. The 6s/6s Plus, while they will look identical to the previous model, will have the A9 which I think is just gonna be a repackage of the Air 2's A8X (1.5GHz, 3-core, 2GB RAM) and will spank the iPhone 6/6 Plus in terms of performance. I think they'll be able stand on their own similar to the 4S and even the 3GS did from their non-"S" counterparts all those years ago.

If we do see a 6c though, I'd throw my money on it being a 4" phone to satisfy the small-iPhone lovers crowd with an A8 similar to the one in the iPod touch 6th Gen (under clocked for less heat, and better battery) but keeping the 5s' cameras. Phone's form factor will be a little slimmer then the 5c but thicker and heavier then the 6. Probably won't be any camera bump on it. It'll have Touch ID. Colors will probably be similar to what they are, if not, then they will follow the ones introduced on the new iPods expect in plastic instead of aluminum.

It would make sense to have the 6c actually, because all of the early 5c owners will be coming off contract in Sept and it'll be a faster phone for them, but feel similar. Some might like that.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I see Apple dropping the 6 Plus entirely. If you want a large screen iPhone you're gonna need to get the latest generation. Very reason, I think, the 5c never came in black as Apple considered it a 'premium' color.

What I think the iPhone line up will look like this year (pricing = on-contract/off contract):

6s Plus: $299/$750 for 32GB
6s: $199/$650 for 32GB
6: $99/$550 for 16GB (32GB model possible at $150/$600)
5s: $0/$450 for 16GB (32GB model possible at $50/$500)

I don't see them releasing an iPhone 6c at this point, and personally I don't think it's gonna really be needed. The 6s/6s Plus, while they will look identical to the previous model, will have the A9 which I think is just gonna be a repackage of the Air 2's A8X (1.5GHz, 3-core, 2GB RAM) and will spank the iPhone 6/6 Plus in terms of performance. I think they'll be able stand on their own similar to the 4S and even the 3GS did from their non-"S" counterparts all those years ago.

If we do see a 6c though, I'd throw my money on it being a 4" phone to satisfy the small-iPhone lovers crowd with an A8 similar to the one in the iPod touch 6th Gen (under clocked for less heat, and better battery) but keeping the 5s' cameras. Phone's form factor will be a little slimmer then the 5c but thicker and heavier then the 6. Probably won't be any camera bump on it. It'll have Touch ID. Colors will probably be similar to what they are, if not, then they will follow the ones introduced on the new iPods expect in plastic instead of aluminum.

It would make sense to have the 6c actually, because all of the early 5c owners will be coming off contract in Sept and it'll be a faster phone for them, but feel similar. Some might like that.

This makes sense. What's the need for two 5.5" phones in your lineup? Plus it keeps the pricing exactly the same and you don't have any of the iPhone 6 Plus being the same price as this years smaller flagship. Let's be honest if I had the choice between the iPhone 6 Plus at $199 or the iPhone 6s at $199... I'm choosing the iPhone 6s. Idc about the screen size being .8" smaller. I care about the performance. I think the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s plus will outperform there predecessors by a pretty healthy margin.

Reactions: iamMacPerson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.