Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
[Thursday, lunchtime]

I just went to the Apple store in Dallas to see, in person, some of the things featured in this week's keynote.

What a lame experience!

I didn't really expect that they'd have a MacBook Pro on display, though I was hoping they did. They didn't.

They didn't have a new iMac, either. Not for sale or display. Not until 1/17. That was a bit of a surprise.

Most amazingly, none of the display machines had any of the new software installed. No iLife, no iWork. Nothing. The installed software was all the '05 stuff. They had the new software for sale, but the display computers hadn't been re-imaged with the new software from Apple corporate.

What a waste of a lunch.

I might try the other Dallas area Apple store tomorrow at lunch, but after today's experience, I'll certainly call first.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Went to my first Apple Store today. Ours opened just over a month ago.

It was crazy busy. I've never seen so many iPods, iMacs, minis, and 30" displays in one place. They must have had, easily 40+ machines out and available to work on. :eek:

I was pressed for time, but I didn't see any Intel iMacs out, of course, unless I went to every machine and looked closely, I don't think there's an easy way to spot them. No idea if they had the new software installed.

Did pick up a copy of iLife, however. :)

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I am kinda surprised that the new software wasn't loaded on the PCs. I woulda thought that a newer release of iWork and iLife could have been loaded on a machine the night before the keynote without giving away any spoilers.

As for the iMacs, they probably won't get any for at least a week to try out in the store. And don't expect to see the MBPs in the store until mid february when they actually start shipping.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
The sales rep told me that the drives in the Apple stores are all imaged using a master disk image that's provided by Apple corporate. She said that hasn't arrived from Apple yet, but they expect it any time now. They're apparently not permitted to just crack open an iLife or whatever box and install it.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Ot:

Hey I am from Tyler and go to Dallas alot. Where are all the Apple store up there? I have been to the one in Willowbend Mall. But thats the only one I know of. I would not mind driving up for a day and seeing some of the new products when they are all in store of course.

Thanks

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
It's on Knox/Henderson, just 1/4 mile or so west of Route 75 (Central Expressway).

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
No manufacturer has product in stores the day after the announcement, so why should it be different with Apple?

Just because they own the stores doesn't mean they trust the employees to keep the stuff secret until the announcement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.