Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I am looking for a laptop/camera bag. I will be using the MB and I also have a canon S3. I am a student so, if I can have some space for a pair of books, and a pair of clothes, that would be great,however primarily I need a bag which is durable and strong for everyday use and travel. I looked at lowepro CompuRover AW but its very expensive. My budget would be under $100. Any recommendations. I am looking for a backpack

Cheers!!!

[Moderator note: duplicate threads have been merged.]

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I am looking for a laptop/camera bag. I will be using the MB and I also have a canon S3. I am a student so, if I can have some space for a pair of books, and a pair of clothes, that would be great,however primarily I need a bag which is durable and strong for everyday use and travel. I looked at lowepro CompuRover AW but its very expensive. My budget would be under $100. Any recommendations. I am looking for a backpack

Cheers!!!
Duplicate thread...:rolleyes:

most camera bags use the bulk of the space for compartments that hold lenses and camera bodies. [Text?]books won't usually be an option, and spare clothes would have to be minimal. It really depends how much camera gear you have (how many big lenses) and how much "extra" stuff you want to bring.

The LowePro CompuTrekkerAV is a great bag -- though again, putting more than a novel or two inside won't work.

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
I'm a big fan of the lowepro bags so I'd look at the Lowepro CompuDayPack. Using the Google Checkout special at buy.com, it's $80 shipped.

Crumpler also makes nice bags but they are pricier. Their Sinking Barge or Customary Barge bags are combo notebook/camera backpacks.

Another option might be a huge messenger bag with small camera bag and slipcase for the notebook. Then you'll only have to carry what you want when you want.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I have an Tamrac adventure 9 backpack and absolutely love it!

425851.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=4303&A=details&Q=&sku=425851&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It comes in a few colors, but I chose red as it looks like my old high school backpack, and I just like the way it looks.

Mine holds my MacBook, all it's cables, 2 iPods, 2 Cameras, and both my lenses. It also carries every accessory I need for the two cameras (chargers, memory cards, cables, etc) with the exception of my tripods ;).

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Goes for well over $100 though.

You'll be hard pressed to find a good laptop/camera bag for less than $100. I just went through this with my pentax k10d and ended up with the tamrac adventure 9 as well- but most of the bags I looked at that were suitable were about $170. I found none in the under $100 range.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Goes for well over $100 though.

You'll be hard pressed to find a good laptop/camera bag for less than $100. I just went through this with my pentax k10d and ended up with the tamrac adventure 9 as well- but most of the bags I looked at that were suitable were about $170. I found none in the under $100 range.

It has a high price, however they stand behind their warranty quite well from what I hear from my local camera shop. This will be important to me, as I tend to keep my backpacks for well over 5 years each. I have a Jan Sport pack that I have owned for well over 10 years, and still use it daily!

The biggest asset with this bag was the padding. The Laptop compartment has ~12mm of padding between your back and laptop compartment, and about 6mm between the camera and laptop compartment.

It also comes with removable separators for the camera compartment, and a nice handy removable pouch in the upper storage area that is great for holding iPods, and iPod accessories :) .

I was considering modifying a Swiss Army laptop backpack for use with cameras, until I found this gem!

Obake

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2006
The S3 isn't a very large camera, and the MC is a fairly compact laptop so what I would suggest (on a budget) is buy a neoprene slipcase for the MC, like the STM and incase, a case for the S3, like the Canon PSC-75 and throw them in an ordinary backpack.

or you could get the lowepro CompuDaypack? :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Crumpler also makes nice bags but they are pricier. Their Sinking Barge or Customary Barge bags are combo notebook/camera backpacks.

AHEM... ;)

I have an Tamrac adventure 9 backpack and absolutely love it!

I considered it, but I don't think it's as comfortable as my Crumpler Sinking Barge. It holds more camera gear and can hold a bigger laptop, but the Customary Barge is a more fair comparison to the Adventure 9, and I've never seen a Customary Barge, so can't say anything about storage space of the Customary Barge.

All I can say is this: My friend and I started out in the DSLR world together, but we have essentially bought the alternative of each other's gear. I really don't know why, but we have. I use Nikon; he uses Canon. I bought a Sigma 24-70 f2.8; he loves it, but went with the Tamron 28-75 mm f2.8. I bought a Crumpler Sinking Barge; he bought the Adventure 9. Anyway, we compare gear all the time because we own similar things, but the exact item is different.

His Adventure 9 feels cheaper, and the straps aren't nearly as great, nor is the bag as comfortable to wear. Also, if you read my review, the Crumpler models can fit an A4 sized paper/notebook/binder, whereas the general compartment of the Adventure 9 is like a cube and could never do this due to its design.

It's a great bag because it carries so much camera stuff and can fit a thick 15" laptop, while my Sinking Barge can only fit a 13" MacBook and less camera gear, but my general compartment is bigger. The Customary Barge would be an option for those who need the space.

I'm in Japan in my gf's house, so I don't have time to just take photos of what I can hold in my bag, but I'll tell you that I have my NIkon D50 coupled with my Tokina 12-24 mm (the best tourist lens, really), my Nikon 105 mm VR, and I squeezed in my 50 mm f/1.8 in there because it's so darned small.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
It's too bad the Adventure 9 is $125 and the Customary Barge is almost $200...I liked the crumpler but when it came down to it, it was too hard to find one in person to examine and the adventure 9 was there for me to jam my laptop in (15.4") and make sure it fit.

It's been fine so far, though I don't use it a whole whole lot.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I apologize, if this is a dupicate thread.
I appreciate all you inputs however, I still can't decide which one to get since unlike you guys who have a DSLR and different lenses. I only have my S3 which is small and in the future I may be getting a telephoto lens and thats it.So I don't know which of these bags will benefit me the most.
Any other recommendations keeping in mind the S3.

Cheers!!!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
methinks you don't need a camera backpack for this job. Get a very small case to house the S3 -- then toss that into a "regular" backpack that has space for your books, laptop, and everything else you mentioned. Yah?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well then you don't even need the CompuRower.

I don't get the question, actually. Any backpack that can fit a laptop can also fit an S3 inside the general compartment. Get a small case for the camera and put the camera and case into a backpack.

Obake said:
The S3 isn't a very large camera, and the MC is a fairly compact laptop so what I would suggest (on a budget) is buy a neoprene slipcase for the MC, like the STM and incase, a case for the S3, like the Canon PSC-75 and throw them in an ordinary backpack.

Change the neoprene sleeve to one of those really padded sleeves designed to compress when hit or dropped, and I'll agree with you. I have an STM one, and it is absolutely fantastic. I wouldn't have much hesitation in dropping my MacBook onto the ground if it was in the sleeve I got it. The only risk would be to the internals because of the inertia from hitting the ground and stopping so quickly, but the outer case would be in fantastic shape. :p

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Any recommendations then on a good backpack which is durable and sleeves as well. If you could provide links that will be great.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Any recommendations then on a good backpack which is durable and sleeves as well. If you could provide links that will be great.

incase makes good cheap neoprene sleeves.

there are thousands of good backpacks. your needs will probably be best served by going to take a look for yourself in a store. Outdoors store, or really any kind of store that sells backpacks -- just don't get a camera backpack (for what you've described) or you'll pay 5x as much as you need.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
AHEM... ;)

I considered it, but I don't think it's as comfortable as my Crumpler Sinking Barge. It holds more camera gear and can hold a bigger laptop, but the Customary Barge is a more fair comparison to the Adventure 9, and I've never seen a Customary Barge, so can't say anything about storage space of the Customary Barge.

All I can say is this: My friend and I started out in the DSLR world together, but we have essentially bought the alternative of each other's gear. I really don't know why, but we have. I use Nikon; he uses Canon. I bought a Sigma 24-70 f2.8; he loves it, but went with the Tamron 28-75 mm f2.8. I bought a Crumpler Sinking Barge; he bought the Adventure 9. Anyway, we compare gear all the time because we own similar things, but the exact item is different.

His Adventure 9 feels cheaper, and the straps aren't nearly as great, nor is the bag as comfortable to wear. Also, if you read my review, the Crumpler models can fit an A4 sized paper/notebook/binder, whereas the general compartment of the Adventure 9 is like a cube and could never do this due to its design.

It's a great bag because it carries so much camera stuff and can fit a thick 15" laptop, while my Sinking Barge can only fit a 13" MacBook and less camera gear, but my general compartment is bigger. The Customary Barge would be an option for those who need the space.

I'm in Japan in my gf's house, so I don't have time to just take photos of what I can hold in my bag, but I'll tell you that I have my NIkon D50 coupled with my Tokina 12-24 mm (the best tourist lens, really), my Nikon 105 mm VR, and I squeezed in my 50 mm f/1.8 in there because it's so darned small.

I am 5'11 (not sure if that matters much), however I found the Adventure 9 to be much more comfortable. The bag is the perfect length and doesn't put strange pressure on my shoulders or back unlike shorter backpacks . The straps have more padding than 2 of my hiking backpacks, and there are allot of adjustment points that I find highly useful!

I also like the fact that I don't have to zip up the front camera compartment all the time when I am out shooting. This will be key for media events in which I want to simply unbuckle the 3 clasps for that compartment, switch cameras, or lenses, then continue shooting whatever subject I am working on.

What it all boils down to, it is a mater of personal opinion.

electronbee

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2005
I do not what state you live in but if you are near a larger city their should be a camera store that sells packs for you to try on and see if your gear fits in. And, yeah, the lowepro's are kinda pricey, but, they are a backpacking company that is making a camera/laptop bag so they know how to make a good back pack. Where as a company like Tamrac makes camera bags and then they made a backpack. There is a difference in where each is coming from.

i-sidd, said you said you were 5'11" I would suggest something like a Kelty Redwing 3100. It is an actual day pack but it has a lot of storage to put stuff into. I used to use one but I am 5'6" and I am just slightly too short for the way it was designed. I have a smaller style Kelty. I use a separate camera bag and a laptop sleeve and I drop in whatever I will be using for that excursion. It's pretty rare for me to go out on a hike and actually need my laptop where as having my camera kit and a change of clothes in case is more important. Also, the Kelty has a separate compartment for a CamelBak or other type thing within it. I find this useful.

I think one has to come to terms with what they will be doing most with their pack. Hiking type stuff or more student/going to a WiFi cafe stuff. It's hard to find an inexpensive pack that will do them both. Which is why I buy things like the Kelty and equip as necessary. Plenty of external pouches and loops to attach stuff as well.

Plus, to carry an entire camera kit, laptop, tripod, water, clothes, books, all at once would get heavy. The only time I get to that point is if I am going on a plane and I will need it at my final destination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.