Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shockedlattice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Currently the owner of an iPhone 6+ and iPad 3. Entering medical school and have a large library of 1000+ page textbooks in PDF and ePub form that can be up to 350MB. My favorite PDF annotation software right now is PDF Expert 5 but it is very slow on the iPad and crashes constantly on the iPhone when I have any document greater than 50MB. Good reader is faster with less crashes but lacks continuous vertical scrolling and is not as smooth at annotating/highlighting IMO.

Will an upgrade to an iPad Air 2 or 9.7" iPP be a worthwhile investment if this is my primary use for the iPad? Will I see a noticeable difference in PDF Expert? Ideally I would go to the Apple Store and load PDF Expert with one of my large PDFs onto their models and see the difference but I doubt they would let me. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
Unfortunately I don't have PDF Expert but I can confirm I have some very large (200MB+) PDFs in GoodReader on my iPad Air 2 and it works flawlessly. That said, I'm currently breaking my PDF textbooks down into chapters which makes things easier to read and easier on the system too.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Currently the owner of an iPhone 6+ and iPad 3. Entering medical school and have a large library of 1000+ page textbooks in PDF and ePub form that can be up to 350MB. My favorite PDF annotation software right now is PDF Expert 5 but it is very slow on the iPad and crashes constantly on the iPhone when I have any document greater than 50MB. Good reader is faster with less crashes but lacks continuous vertical scrolling and is not as smooth at annotating/highlighting IMO.

Will an upgrade to an iPad Air 2 or 9.7" iPP be a worthwhile investment if this is my primary use for the iPad? Will I see a noticeable difference in PDF Expert? Ideally I would go to the Apple Store and load PDF Expert with one of my large PDFs onto their models and see the difference but I doubt they would let me. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Wonder if 14 day test drive would be of use?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks!

I would go with the 12.9" iPad Pro. The extra RAM helps out quite a bit when reading large PDFs (I have huge textbooks I read in both Kindle and PDF Expert just fine on the 12.9" iPP)

shockedlattice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
As much as I would love the 4GB RAM and USB 3 the extra size weight and cost of the 12.9" iPP rules it out. Thank you for the suggestion though. I'm sure the next 9.7" iPP will have more RAM but I could play that "the next one is better" waiting game forever.

The idea of breaking my PDFs into smaller files by section/chapter is tempting, but is a huge task, and I want to be able to search an entire text for keywords all at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.