Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Sir_Giggles said:
I was comparing it to something like, say... a heat seeking missile launched by a real terrorist.

Both have the ability to down a plane. I don't see the distinction you are trying to make.

If a guy fired a missle but missed, would you call that a mischevious prank?

IOW, is it only a serious matter if deaths result?

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
mactastic said:
IOW, is it only a serious matter if deaths result?

You should really ask the lawmakers about that one. WHy is it that attempted murderers get a lighter sentence than a pre-meditated murder that was actually carried out?

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Sir_Giggles said:
I was comparing it to something like, say... a heat seeking missile launched by a real terrorist.

Yeah but surely it's all a means to an end. Both are just as dangerous. Think about it - Heat Seaking Missile knocks out an engine and the plane goes down. Laser knocks out the pilot(s) and the plane (potentially) goes down.

This is not clever stuff. Pranks are pranks. This is dangerous.

Maybe they should put more protection on the cockpit windows? Like more than the UV stuff...?

Hob

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
mactastic said:
Attempted murder is not normally referred to as a prank.

You said it yourself. Prank.

definition: a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and amusement

so you telling me that this is equal to a terrorist act? pranks do go wrong sometimes, no doubt, but puh-lease. comparing it to a missile is ludicrous.

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
hob said:
Both are just as dangerous.

In varying amounts. Lasers can be deflected with a mirror window coating. Whatever this boy did, he brought to the surface a critical flaw of airline planes. Perhaps we can learn from this and build safer planes, agreed?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Sir_Giggles said:
You said it yourself. Prank.

definition: a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and amusement

so you telling me that this is equal to a terrorist act? pranks do go wrong sometimes, no doubt, but puh-lease. comparing it to a missile is ludicrous.

YOU were the one who used the term 'prank'. How do you know what this guy's intent was? Because that's the only practical difference between a prank gone wrong and outright murder. Intent. And the outcome is the same.

And I should remind you, YOU were also the one to compare this to a missle. If you want to call your own comparison ludicrous, go right ahead.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Sir_Giggles said:
In varying amounts. Lasers can be deflected with a mirror window coating. Whatever this boy did, he brought to the surface a critical flaw of airline planes. Perhaps we can learn from this and build safer planes, agreed?

Missles can be deflected with anti-missle systems. So, no big deal?

fortgreen1

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2004
fortgreen brooklyn ny
I think in this case even it is prank, the consequences are very serious so it should be treated as almost as serious as laser bean guided missiles. or were you saying eat seeing missiles...

I'm always afraid of bullets when people shoot guns in the air for celebration,

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
mactastic said:
And I should remind you, YOU were also the one to compare this to a missle. If you want to call your own comparison ludicrous, go right ahead.

Puh-lease. You telling me terrorists were planning on throwing rocks? I did not lambast the kid as a terrorist. Just a dumb boy who should have known better.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Sir_Giggles said:
Puh-lease. You telling me terrorists were planning on throwing rocks? I did not lambast the kid as a terrorist. Just a dumb boy who should have known better.

WTF are you talking about? Did I say anything about rocks?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
This is silly, I can't believe that there is even an argument about this.

Shining lasers at aircraft is very dangerous, and should be considered to be attempting to interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft, "prank" or no. I don't think that the authorities blew this out of proportion at all, and I like seeing my tax dollars at work for once. Now go catch that moron in Cleveland, please!

Bottom line: The kid did something stupid and potential dangerous. Do I think he acually meant to hurt anybody? No, but he could have. Do I think he should be swept off to some undisclosed location and held indefinetly under the patriot act like a terrorist? No. Just a little common sence. As for trying him as an adult? I think that should be saved for the most extreme situations, because all that does is take a dumb kid, that could have turn into a productive adult and turn him/her into a lifetime offender. Scare the S@#t out of him, fine his parents, J.V. Hall, community service seem more long the lines to me.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Superdrive said:
As a pilot, I wonder about the angles of everything including the plane and laser. The windscreens on a commercial airliner are not that great in size. If a plane were at (8,500 ft) as in the story, or even on approach to an airport, I could only imagine that the person holding the laser would be near 90° (obviously not at) to the flight deck to shine in the eyes of a pilot. Also, I wonder what kinds of lasers are being used to shine that far, that clear, and that precise into a cockpit where it can be identified and traced. Who knows......

-T

Good point, I was thinking that too. The whole story implies that it's more sophisticated than your average prank. :confused: I also have to wonder about the quality of reporting, can somebody explain how you can track a laser beam with radar?

<edit> Also the first update seems to be about a different green laser shone at a different plane. The first story was in Cleveland, the kid/guy/whoever busted was in Jersey, that's either two different people or one heck of a laser. Now we got to ask the question, what the heck are all these people doing shining lasers at airplanes... is it some sort of stupid fad prank?? </edit>

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Great! I fly to teterboro 20 times a year at the least! It is the Atlanta/O'hare of Corp Aviation.

He deserves what ever is coming.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
And here is a more detailed article.

NEWARK, N.J.*Jan 5, 2005 —*A man charged with temporarily blinding the pilot and co-pilot of an airplane with a laser beam claims he was simply using the device to look at stars with his 7-year-old daughter...

...Banach, of suburban Parsippany, admitted to federal agents that he pointed the light beam at a jet and a helicopter over his home near Teterboro Airport last week, authorities said. Initially, he claimed his daughter aimed the device at the helicopter, they said...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.