Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
I cant get a working Laserwriter for about $40, the collector in me is dying to buy it, but the practical side is wondering, can I still put a old printer like this to use? I have a windows XP server and a total of 3 macs that are semi permanently on the home network. I have read to put the laserwriter on a ethernet network I will need a AAUI adapter, has anyone used the printer in a relatively modern setup? How much will a AAUI adapter cost, and how much should I expect to pay for a toner?

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
The aaui adaptor shouldn't cost you more than $10 on ebay... They are relitivly inexpensive... There is a store around here that sells them for $3 :D

Toner is not too bad, and I believe it lasts for a while. For $40, id say go for it! It should be windows xp and mac compatable.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
One thing to check for on older lasers -- is whether they are addressable by IP or not. The 16/600 is , the LW 12/640 I think is too. Older units aren't which means that they can be accessed by Appletalk only. Not a problem for wired Macs (as long as you turn Appletalk on) but it IS a problem for wireless networks, as very few 802,11 routers will pass AppleTalk, other than the Airports.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks guys, the 12/640 is IP addressable according to the apple documentation. Im not worried about wireless networks at this point, moving to my first own apartment, and its a bit small, a 5 port switch will cover the entire place! :D :D Will have to see if I can find the adapter and the toner locally, I have looked on e-bay and most only **** to continental US. Anyone have experience with the printer? I remember from years back that everyone said apple made good printers.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I had ( and still have) a Personal Laserwriter 300 :D I use it like 5 times a year, just to make sure it still works.. Its a great printer, but too bad its not OS X compatable... I use a HP laserjet 1012 now, but I'd rather have an Apple laserwriter 8500 :p

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I have one of these, very nice printer (though the toner is expensive... still cheeper than for the same amount of ink from an inkjet for the number of pages you can print).
Lollypop said:
I have read to put the laserwriter on a ethernet network I will need a AAUI adapter, has anyone used the printer in a relatively modern setup? How much will a AAUI adapter cost, and how much should I expect to pay for a toner?
Make sure it doesn't already come with an AAUI adapter, it really should (mine came with it).

I'm not sure of the price on these but I have 5 of them in storage... the early ethernet ready Macs required them, so I keep 'em handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.