Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
On the eve of the event, I had an interesting thought that I hadn't seen posted (but I haven't read all the messages). A few years ago Apple came out with the then revolutionary iMac. It was mostly a design inovation, but it none the less changed the computer industry. One walk down the isle of a Best Buy today (which doesn't sell Apple computers), and you see a host of colors and designs that companies produced to play catch up with Apple. But like all great ideas the one thing that many said was why wasn't it done sooner?

Now the big question is what is Apple's next rabbit out of the hat. Maybe all this hype is another extension of this ground breaking philosophy. Thinking out side of the box, not in terms of design of the Macintosh enclosures, but the inside. What sort of technologies are being used by every manufacturer that represent the 'beige box' before the iMac?

Its my guess that Apple will be displaying a something that will seem so obvious, that everyone will immediately say, "Wow, how come that wasn't done before".

Just one more day....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
outside the box

I'm not sure, that's why I'm posting. And given Apple's hype, its a factor of 10. Something with the internal bus? Because I can't see it being the processor.

beigemac

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Optical HD

I heard that alot of tech companies where looking into the possibity of optical hard disk as an alternative to, you know the normal crap! It will work like a the lens reads data off a CD.

Optical HD's will spin at tremdously faster rpms and will take the load off the processor, this means MHZ are not a crucial performance issue. You know like a SCSI HD can spin @ 1500rpm while a norma HD @ 5000 rpm. SCSI is apparently the fastest interface for HD technolgy right now but with stuff like FIREWIRE (**** heads @ sony calll it Ilink) something could happen. Has anyone noticed internal firwire ports indside G4 motherboards?

Maybe i'm talking ahead of time!

dbetanc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2001
Wireless Flat Displays with touch and hand recg.

These are my 2 cents, I think if they really want to be revolutionary, the would change the tipical control interface of computers and make it way more simple and natural than a mouse or key strokes to control or access information. That is why I think they would come up with this new generation of Flat wireless displays which you can take anywhere in your home and control with your fingers replacing the mouse or the track pad, and writing on it with a stylus, or with an optional, on screen touch sens. keyboard.

Anyway, that's just my prediction.

Daniel

None

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
What about a cleansing of wires? Even with the iMac, i still have about ten wires tangled beneath my desk.... And then there is also the possibility of portable computers without harddrives. Just like a laptop, and the hard drive would be something like the iPod, which gets conntect to the portable.

Karma Police

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
A guy posted this on the forums i go to:

"Us techs are the last to know...

But the only one I have seen.... is...

wait I can't tell you...

::couch:: flat ::cough:: i ::cough:: mac.... ::cough:: G ::cough:: 4 ::cough::

I'm sure everyone guessed it. But thats the only one I've seen here... the rest is being guarded by suited men with buldges under their coats.

Although what I have seen could be random prototypes that won't make it to production. I can't see the actual production line. "

I don't know if it's true or not, but then again he just saw the prototypes

I

iCinder

i would like to see a desktop computer with a screen that detaches and is used as a tablet pc with airport. although it may draw attention away from the laptops. how about a thin tablet pc that has two docks. a large and powerful desktop dock and a smaller keyboard/cd-drive dock. then you could have a laptop and desktop that shares the same files and programs. the logistics would be a nightmare but you could charge $3000 or $4000 since it should be the same cost as a desktop and notebook.

this is totally far fetched but fun to think about :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.