Last survivor with memory of the Titanic dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, May 8, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

News link

Her father reportedly smiled as he helped his family into a lifeboat, but then went down with the ship himself. Her mother died at age 98, on April 12 (the 52nd anniversary of the sinking).

Other news sources say that the two last Titanic survivors (both women) are living in England but both were infants when they were rescued and have no memories of that night.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's really unfortunate. Many survivors from historically significant events are dying.

...but at least their legacy will live on forever.

5. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's good that they make movies out of big events, because eventually people will know of them only what they read in old books, hear and see in archival videos, learn from historical websites, etc.

Movies can give you a better idea of how it really felt, as long as they don't play too fast and fancy with the facts.

6. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Thats absolutely true. For example, until the Titanic movie, you hardly learned anything in school about Leonardo DeCaprio dying on the Titanic. Thankfully, my brother learned about it in 11th grade history last year, so we are getting better.

7. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

There was an item on BBC Radio4 this morning about the whole Titanic episode, containing an interview with Lillian Aspland. She addressed the overwhelming gallantry exhibited by the male passengers (women and children first) - very moving. Also she commented on the supposed preferential treatment of the first-class versus the rest. Her view was that there were so many women in first-class and it was a simple spill-over of the same gallantry.

8. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Well, that pretty much rules out the entire Hollywood studio system.

9. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The first news story I read said Lillian Asplund's mother died at age 98 on April 12, the anniversary of the sinking. But the ship hit the iceberg on April 14 and sank on April 15, and another news source says her mother lived to age 90.

It's bad enough that you can't believe the details in movies based on historic events, but apparently you can't believe everything you read on the Internet either! :eek:

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, in all fairness, if she died at 98, she did live to age 90. :p

I do think it's amazing to read of the heroism exhibited during the sinking of that ship, as well as during other terrible events.

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

Actually some of these historical movies prompt me to do my own research about the events transpire, I spend a great deal of time reading up on WW2 after watching Band of Brothers. I scan the web for more information about Tibet after watching Kundun. So in all for me, these movies does help but the audience must know fully well that some of these movies are just products of the Hollywood.

12. pinto32 macrumors 6502

It is true that movies do spur many to conduct research on history, etc. My concern is how far too many people take movies at face value.

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

I can only imagine what it may have been like living with those memories. Or dealing with them as a young child. :(

Um, yes, I suppose that happens. Luckily we keep having more historically significant events that people can survive, depending on how you define "historically significant".

Mount St. Helens 1980
    Mexico City Earthquake 1985
    September 11th 2001
    The Tsunami of 2004
    Hurricane Katrina
    The Pakistan/India Earthquake of 2005

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Unfortunately, it can be difficult at times to know the difference unless you already know about the historical event it seems.

For example, in the movie, "Pearl Harbor" where they fly down Battleship Row in between the battleships. Looks great on film. Never happened in real life. But unless you had prior knowledge, you would never know the difference and it would seem normal.

Anyhow, sounds like she lived a long life. Thanks for the original post.

15. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Jack, this is where we first met.

*ducks and runs* :D

16. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

.... and many survivors of completely insignificant **** are dying too.

17. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    at first when i watched i was like, NO WAY a sequel! then i realized it was just a whole collection of clips, and i was laughing my butt off

19. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I thought the same thing. They did a good job editing whoever it was that did it. :)

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In related Titanic news, a 15-ton piece of Titanic's hull was lifted through the roof of the Metreon here in San Francisco today in preparation for an exhibit opening next month.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Got me thinking that in a hundred or so years there will be nobody around the speak about the launch of Channel 4, or the Wii, or of the first Macrumors.

Sorta sad in a way.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"We're the kinks of the world!"
    *crickets*

23. CompUser Guest

Near, Far, Where ever she iss
    I believe that her heart does go onnnn
    Once, more, she opens the door
    and I hear in her heart and her heart will go on and on

Goodbye last survivor :(

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

Wonderful. What is the fascination with retrieving corroded old parts of a doomed ship turned gravesite for over 1,500 people who needlessly perished in this accident? So we can all gawk at it while gook oozes from our ears? I say leave it the **** alone to rest in peace. :mad: