Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
Hey guys.

I'm running a 2008 Unibody Al Macbook and just upgraded to 10.8.2. All seems to be running fine. I think it could run more smoothly but I've never experience 10.8.2 on newer hardware.

My Macbook:
  • 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
  • 6 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
  • 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD

Anyone else still rocking this? I just decided to upgrade (hackintosh) my 1.6 GHz G5 (see other post) and I think I can run this mac for a few more years. I might eventually upgrade to a SSD and 8 GB ram instead of dropping the cash on a new MB Pro. I use a tablet with keyboard dock when I travel but I still prefer my Macbook for usability. Also running ArchLinux in dual-boot. Fun!

So how much better do day-to-day applications run on the latest hardware? I use Linux and Windows PCs and workstations for my work so my Macbook is for light work, web browsing, light photo editing, etc... As I get older it is getting harder to justify spending the cash on the new Apple machines.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
If it works for you, keep it. The newest machine is always a little bit faster, you'll go broke trying to keep up. Why buy a new machine if you don't need it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.