Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hey, guys,

I just got a new 2016 MBP and will be selling my old late 2011 MBP. Problem is that since I used to use it in closed clamshell mode, I didn't notice that the trackpad wasn't working until recently. After opening it up, I discovered that the battery has swollen. So, before selling the MBP, I want to replace the battery. I'm looking on eBay for OEM/refurbished units, but the prices vary quite a bit, so I'm wondering if the cheaper ones are less reliable.

For example, would this one be much worse than this one? Other than the warranty difference, all the specs look the same on paper.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
There will definitely be ramifications for purchasing a cheaper battery. I know when I looked into a battery replacement for MBA, I saw that cheaper batteries: 1) Had a higher DOA rate, 2) Have poorer battery life in daily usage, 3) Crap out a lot sooner. IMO, I would go with a purchase via iFixIt. The battery is around $100, but I would rather pay the extra money to know that the battery is going to be solid for years, rather than having to deal with a crappy one. And since you're selling the device via eBay, just be aware that buyers can initiate a return within 6 months. Think of it as an extra investment in peace of mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.