Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
For all those upgrading to SSD+HDD on a late 2012 MM with 10.8.2 please read the following taken from OWC.

If you want to create a FD first make a back up using either CCC or Superduper. After install boot hold down cmd+r go to disk utility and fix. It will automatically create a fusion drive then do internet recovery and install fresh OSX. Then copy all of your apps,data and settings back to the fused drive.

If on the other hand you want 2 separate drives follow these instructions carefully.

This particular instance affects you only if:

You are upgrading a 2012 Mac mini.
That 2012 Mac mini shipped with Mac OS X 10.8.2
You are adding an SSD to this Mac mini as a second drive, alongside the existing Hard Drive using an OWC Data Doubler Kit.
If your installation involves all three factors, then you need to pay attention, as your installation will be affected. If one or more of these factors are not involved, then you don’t have to worry, you can proceed as normal.

If you are one of the affected Mac mini owners, then installing an SSD is a little different. The preferred method is the “Internet Restore” method. Perform the following steps in order to format your SSD and transfer your OS and data from your original drive.

Make sure your data is backed up, just to be safe.
Install your SSD in your Mac mini, following the instructions.
Restart your computer and boot to the internal hard drive like normal.
You will likely get a dialog box stating that a drive is “unreadable.” Click the “Initialize” button to open Disk Utility. If you don’t get this warning, you can find Disk Utility at Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app
Select the SSD from the list on the left side of the Disk Utility window and Click on the Partition tab.
Select “1 partition” for the Volume Scheme, set the format to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” and give the drive a name. You can then click the “Apply” button to format the drive.
Once the drive is formatted and shows in the Finder, you can then shut down.
Make sure you’re connected to a network. While it’s preferable that you connect via Ethernet, you can connect via AirPort; it will just be slower.
Restart to the OS X Recovery Partition by holding down Command-R until you get the Recovery Partition’s main window. It is very important to note that you should not use the version of Disk Utility in the Recovery Partition; it will see the two separate drives as a “damaged” Fusion drive and try to repair it; allowing it to do so will destroy your data.
Select the option to “Reinstall OS X” choosing the SSD to install the OS on. If you’re connecting via AirPort, you may be prompted to connect to your wireless network.
Follow the prompts to install.The actual downloading and installation process may take a while.
After the OS is installed, follow the prompts to set up your computer. When asked, choose the option to import your data from another drive and select your original drive as the source.
Once the migration is complete, your computer should boot to your SSD.
You can use the Disk Utility like you did before and format your original hard drive as desired.
You will now be able to use your Mac mini normally.

tom29786

macrumors member
Thanks for your input.
1. I was wrong it does have a fix command, and it does show up in red.

2. I hit the fix button and it started to make a fusion drive, it was going fast, then all hell broke loose with a "beach ball" and the system froze. In disk utility it said the FD was on line and had the correct size 500, plus 128. That was as good as it got.

3.Had to shut the juice off and try to fix this mess. I am in the process of trying to fix this. You can' do anything with the disks in disk utility because they are "locked" took them out and starting over. Do not know how to undo locked, put them in a dock and trying to erase my way out.

4. will post how I made out.

5. This is FUN!!!

Tom

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Thanks for your input.
1. I was wrong it does have a fix command, and it does show up in red.

2. I hit the fix button and it started to make a fusion drive, it was going fast, then all hell broke loose with a "beach ball" and the system froze. In disk utility it said the FD was on line and had the correct size 500, plus 128. That was as good as it got.

3.Had to shut the juice off and try to fix this mess. I am in the process of trying to fix this. You can' do anything with the disks in disk utility because they are "locked" took them out and starting over. Do not know how to undo locked, put them in a dock and trying to erase my way out.

4. will post how I made out.

5. This is FUN!!!

Tom

How did you get on Tom? just came across this

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20121103_2-DiskUtility-nasties.html

Might Explain a few things.

Im looking for a download before i start mine for the Mac Pro disk utility. Ive found a version 444 so there must be a pro version out there somewhere.

----------

What to when the cmd r gets me 10.8.1 version?

I done a restore a few days ago and thats what it installed on mine, so id suggest doing all the updates before migrating your files across.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
if you look at the beginning of this thread Tom he describes how he done it successfully.

Look a bit further down and there is a simplified way as the thread starter doesnt exactly explain it very well.

tom29786

macrumors member
Thanks for following the thread. This is a quick run down off what has happened. I created a fusion drive that became a mess after the beach ball, and the disk utility locks the drives, I was able to erase the SSD, but it will not let you erase the original drive. If you click on the Apple on the top left corner it shows the drives as fused, how ever they do not work, it also shows a big long number that it is there. Next I took out the original 500GB drive and put in another drive with 10.8.2 on it but it will not boot, I then put the original in a OWC dock and then the machine booted, and seemed to have fused the new drive to the SSD went fast and no beach ball. However, when I click on the apple it comes out with a big report that it sends to Apple and shuts down system info. The machine boots fine and I am using it right now.

In conclusion I have 2 fused drives that do not work, many things I do not understand that have happened, because of 2 reasons, the first being the beach ball which started this mess. Second me, I have never used terminal and I don't quite understand it, I know that it is something like the register in Microsoft. So I have options, learn Terminal, take it to Apple, or send it to Phillma 1957 who is quite good at all this.

As an aside, what is everyone going to do if when the spinner in the fusion goes bad, and it only wants to boot off the original disk there must be a way around this.

Tom

Also I have #13 444 for disk utility

Last edited:

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Thanks for following the thread. This is a quick run down off what has happened. I created a fusion drive that became a mess after the beach ball, and the disk utility locks the drives, I was able to erase the SSD, but it will not let you erase the original drive. If you click on the Apple on the top left corner it shows the drives as fused, how ever they do not work, it also shows a big long number that it is there. Next I took out the original 500GB drive and put in another drive with 10.8.2 on it but it will not boot, I then put the original in a OWC dock and then the machine booted, and seemed to have fused the new drive to the SSD went fast and no beach ball. However, when I click on the apple it comes out with a big report that it sends to Apple and shuts down system info. The machine boots fine and I am using it right now.

In conclusion I have 2 fused drives that do not work, many things I do not understand that have happened, because of 2 reasons, the first being the beach ball which started this mess. Second me, I have never used terminal and I don't quite understand it, I know that it is something like the register in Microsoft. So I have options, learn Terminal, take it to Apple, or send it to Phillma 1957 who is quite good at all this.

As an aside, what is everyone going to do if when the spinner in the fusion goes bad, and it only wants to boot off the original disk there must be a way around this.

Tom

Also I have #13 444 for disk utility

Apparently this works.

Install SSD,
then:
- command+r at start up
- Install fresh OSX on the SSD
- Go to Startup Disk and select SSD
- Boot Mac OSX from SSD, install Carbon Copy Cloner
- Make a copy to a USB Flash drive (from SSD)

Then:
- Boot from backup USB drive
- OSX loads, says drive needs repair
- Click fix
- Drives merged
- Open CCC and copy back to merged drive (from Flash drive).

Not sure what to suggest as far as the 2 fused drives go.

If you go to Apple you'll have to put everything back to normal as your warranty will be void.

Terminal is not that hard to use. There is a guide ive seen somewhere that explains how to do it.

I'll find the link and post back

----------

Apparently this works.

Install SSD,
then:
- command+r at start up

Then:
- Click fix
- Drives merged

Not sure what to suggest as far as the 2 fused drives go.

If you go to Apple you'll have to put everything back to normal as your warranty will be void.

Terminal is not that hard to use. There is a guide ive seen somewhere that explains how to do it.

I'll find the link and post back

Have a read of this it might even help with the 2 fused drives.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html

tom29786

macrumors member
I finally got everything back together and working good. I just have the original HD in and all is well, I was finally able to erase the hard drive by sacrificing another drive by downloading to an external FD. You can't erase once it is fusioned it has to go some where because it is locked. If it did not beach ball I would have been fine using the instructions on here. to make sure I don't fool around with the other drive I took a hammer to it, I spent 12 hours getting it back together. I am envious of those who had no problem, will not try again any time soon.

Tom

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Can everyone please stop posting from OWC's blog/support?

They are wrong so often they are typically the example of 'what not to do'.

Apart from removing the ram iFixit do it exactly the same way. So they must also be wrong.

If you know any better then please share with the rest of us!

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
Apart from removing the ram iFixit do it exactly the same way. So they must also be wrong.

If you know any better then please share with the rest of us!

My comment was the result of many inaccuracies over the years.
i.e., OWC SSDs don't need TRIM, DIY Fusion Drives don't work, after you install your Data Doubler, you can still boot fine from your external SuperDrive, there is no fix for the iMac HDD Temp Sensor, and on and on.

I think they make great products. I order almost everything from them and Newegg. I just stopped using them as a support reference years ago.
(ask anyone who purchased a Data Doubler for their MacBook Pro about updating the Firmware on the SSD and you'll start to understand).

BTW- I agree with you about iFixit. They really are one of the best hardware resources out there.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Apparently this works.

Install SSD,
then:
- command+r at start up

Then:
- Click fix
- Drives merged

Is this all I need to know? I have a 2012 Mini, SSD and data doubler are on the way. Also, any advantages on where o put the SSD and where to put the HDD? This seems like its pretty straightforward, but I want to be prepared.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Is this all I need to know? I have a 2012 Mini, SSD and data doubler are on the way. Also, any advantages on where o put the SSD and where to put the HDD? This seems like its pretty straightforward, but I want to be prepared.

if you put the ssd in the plastic caddy and use the grommets .

you leave the hdd in its black wrapper.

this makes it easy in case you need to go back to stock.

the oem will have never left the black plastic wrapper.

that wrapper is also good protection for the hdd's open back

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew

The only difference i will make to this is i have already downloaded OSX to external drive. The reason being is that when you first enter internet recovery it will download and install 10.8.1. Apparently there is a different version of disk utility on 10.8.2. which allows the fusion set up. So i have installed and updated to external drive ready to boot from. When my data doubler kit FINALLY arrives i will update to let you all know how it goes.

Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
if you put the ssd in the plastic caddy and use the grommets .

you leave the hdd in its black wrapper.

this makes it easy in case you need to go back to stock.

the oem will have never left the black plastic wrapper.

that wrapper is also good protection for the hdd's open back

The only difference i will make to this is i have already downloaded OSX to external drive. The reason being is that when you first enter internet recovery it will download and install 10.8.1. Apparently there is a different version of disk utility on 10.8.2. which allows the fusion set up. So i have installed and updated to external drive ready to boot from. When my data double kit FINALLY arrives i will update to let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the tips.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
What's the reason for using Carbon Copy Cloner? Just to save data? I'm confused about why you need to do this. Is it the version of disc utility you need? Won't it work if you just install the SSD. Then do an Internet Recovery?

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
What's the reason for using Carbon Copy Cloner? Just to save data? I'm confused about why you need to do this. Is it the version of disc utility you need? Won't it work if you just install the SSD. Then do an Internet Recovery?

Contrary to belief the OSX that ships with the MM is different to, say the MBA/MBP version.

At the moment 10.8.2 is not available for internet recovery for the MM.
It will download and install 10.8.1. This is possibly due to the fusion option that comes with 10.8.2.

If you just want to install the SSD as a boot drive and use the stock drive for storage it will work.

If you are trying to create a FD then the version of DU that comes with 10.8.1 will not let you do this.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Contrary to belief the OSX that ships with the MM is different to, say the MBA/MBP version.

At the moment 10.8.2 is not available for internet recovery for the MM.
It will download and install 10.8.1. This is possibly due to the fusion option that comes with 10.8.2.

If you just want to install the SSD as a boot drive and use the stock drive for storage it will work.

If you are trying to create a FD then the version of DU that comes with 10.8.1 will not let you do this.

Got it. I better make sure to update to 10.8.2 first too then. Thanks, I was going to just use CCC without updating.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I just installed the new SSD, when I tried to boot up it gave me a "?" so I inserted a USB drive I created the bootable copy with CCC on. It booted up and said something like Drive could not be initialized, do you want to fix. I selected yes and it opened disk utility. But from there it didn't do anything, and the only discs in disc utility are the new SSD and the flash drive. I don't see the hdd at all.

Do I need to take the mini apart again? Did a cable not get seated correctly or something? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Edit: cable had come unseated, hopefully I'm back on track:).

Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I got to the point where OSX merged the disks, in Disk Utility I see one drive names "Internal Drive" that is 1.25 TB. But I can't seem to do anything with it. I can't format it, I can't partition it, and Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't see it. What do I need to do to use it?

Edit: I was thinking I didn't need to do the Terminal commands, that Disk Utility would just work, but after doing the Terminal commands to create the volume everything seems fine. I am restoring from the Internet now.

Last edited:

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
I got to the point where OSX merged the disks, in Disk Utility I see one drive names "Internal Drive" that is 1.25 TB. But I can't seem to do anything with it. I can't format it, I can't partition it, and Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't see it. What do I need to do to use it?

Edit: I was thinking I didn't need to do the Terminal commands, that Disk Utility would just work, but after doing the Terminal commands to create the volume everything seems fine. I am restoring from the Internet now.

Glad to hear its going ok. Any more problems or has the restore worked?

If all has gone well maybe you can do a step by step tutorial :)

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Glad to hear its going ok. Any more problems or has the restore worked?

If all has gone well maybe you can do a step by step tutorial :)

It's still downloading, my Internet is not the fastest. But yeah, I'll write up a quick tutorial on how I did it. But it's basically the same as posted earlier, I just had to use Terminal to create the volume. But it went better than I expected, tearing the mini apart to get the second drive in is what worried me the most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.