Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwaldrop49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
Hi All,

I have a Late 2013 iMac (3.5 Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7) with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M graphics, 24GB Memory, 3TB Fusion drive.

This computer was very powerful back when I bought it... and still can run most things, so do not want to give up on it yet.

I have been upgrading using Open Core Legacy Patcher and the version I was on until a week or so ago was mostly stable with it locking up only once in a month or 2 (or if I had too many tabs with things like youtube opened in Safari). With this newer release of Ventura 13.5 and OCLP 0.6.8 it will crash after sometime each day even when I am not actively using the computer.

I have tried to reset the NVRAM, PRAM, and SMC (i think has was provided). Sometimes it can last longer (i.e. I am writing this on the iMac now) but I know it will eventually freeze. The freeze if it occurs before the screen blanks out / turns off will be whatever the desktop had and the clock at the time it froze. If it does it after the screen goes off, I just see nothing until I do the long hold of the power button to restart it.

Apple's diagnostics (holding 'd' during the boot) did not show problems.

Any thoughts on what I can do to further diagnose / troubleshoot?

I would love at least the stability I had prior to this latest upgrade. Speaking of which, with OCLP, how hard is it to go back to a prior version (I was originally running on whatever was out back in March).

Thanks!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi All,

I have a Late 2013 iMac (3.5 Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7) with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M graphics, 24GB Memory, 3TB Fusion drive.

This computer was very powerful back when I bought it... and still can run most things, so do not want to give up on it yet.

I have been upgrading using Open Core Legacy Patcher and the version I was on until a week or so ago was mostly stable with it locking up only once in a month or 2 (or if I had too many tabs with things like youtube opened in Safari). With this newer release of Ventura 13.5 and OCLP 0.6.8 it will crash after sometime each day even when I am not actively using the computer.

I have tried to reset the NVRAM, PRAM, and SMC (i think has was provided). Sometimes it can last longer (i.e. I am writing this on the iMac now) but I know it will eventually freeze. The freeze if it occurs before the screen blanks out / turns off will be whatever the desktop had and the clock at the time it froze. If it does it after the screen goes off, I just see nothing until I do the long hold of the power button to restart it.

Apple's diagnostics (holding 'd' during the boot) did not show problems.

Any thoughts on what I can do to further diagnose / troubleshoot?

I would love at least the stability I had prior to this latest upgrade. Speaking of which, with OCLP, how hard is it to go back to a prior version (I was originally running on whatever was out back in March).

Thanks!

Internet recovery will enable you to wipe out the internal storage and install the latest supporting OS to your iMac 2013. It may take you a couple hours to download and re-install all your apps + private setting.

Arak

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
I wonder what are the costs in nature of the switch from Apple-original setup to 3rd-party distribution.
In mind above all the possible loss of boot chain lock.
I can well imagine for makers of OpenCore, or similar, to had to break that lock in order to be able to place their own distribution onto Mac.
The question is, should it really be that way if any of known distributions that kind managed to place own lock onto boot chain.

I agree following question to be valid point in this regard: the question of overall balance in security, secure stack above boot-chain + insecure boot vs. insecure stack above boot-chain + secure boot. On another hand, also the point has a good chance that root vulnerability equals vulnerability of whole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.