Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
By looking at benchamarks both synthetic, real life, and gaming benchmarks, and how naming scheme shown improvements its easy to see, that Iris 6100 will be significantly faster than Iris Pro 1. HD5400 Should be faster than Iris Pro(HD5200). So its not so obvious ;).

Like ive said. Intel by trying to ditch the dGPUs from computers have 2 ways. Give a good solution of their own for iGPUs, and be at least comparable to current mid-end dGPUs, or... buying Nvidia. Second is really unlikely.

im 100% sure they could buy nvidia with ease as intel is worth around $90bn and nvidia around $4bn but i don't think the fcc will approve it because it may be looked as monopolizing , actually they should cause they would make a fantastic chip together and they actually have alot of chip competitors lol ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_sales_leaders_by_year

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
So does this mean it will only be a refresh has well for 15 now and 13 will come later for some odd reason?

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
So does this mean it will only be a refresh has well for 15 now and 13 will come later for some odd reason?

No, because, we don't know if the Broadwell CPUs will have similar clocks. We don't even know if the update will leave the GT750M.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Sorry I am not asking in regards to broadwell, I just wanted to know if the 13" rmbps will also get this refresh of haswell like the 15" seems to be getting soon. Thank you

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
Hope this is real. I was looking into a base model 15" and double the RAM and a slight boost in speed sounds great to me. If it's all true, I hope it's out by the first week of September, that's when I would ideally be making my purchase, but I'm willing to wait till October.

Harinoorvirk28

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014
there is a very little chance of this being real because apple usually doesn't release new products during back to school.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
im 100% sure they could buy nvidia with ease as intel is worth around $90bn and nvidia around $4bn but i don't think the fcc will approve it because it may be looked as monopolizing , actually they should cause they would make a fantastic chip together and they actually have alot of chip competitors lol ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_sales_leaders_by_year

Nvidia makes 4bn in revenue a year. They are worth more than that... Not sure why apple would want them though, as they seem to be looking to remove dGPUs from all their computers.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Like ive said. Intel by trying to ditch the dGPUs from computers have 2 ways. Give a good solution of their own for iGPUs, and be at least comparable to current mid-end dGPUs, or... buying Nvidia. Second is really unlikely.

Well, its also not so easy... Intel is not that far off from Nvidia's Maxwell when you consider power efficiency. I would bet that if take a Maxwell chip, integrate it with the system memory (which is a non-trivial task, given that the memory controller is in the CPU), and have it consume a comparable amount of power than the Iris, the performance will not be that different. It is true that even the DDR3 version of 850M is performing 2x better than the Iris Pro, BUT, its at x1.5 (or more) consumed power + higher memory bandwidth — the 850M uses DDR3-2000, which provides 32Gb/s bandwidth, while Iris Pro has to share the RAM bandwidth with the CPU. You would still need to put the Nvidia GPU somewhere on the logic board + have a large dedicated cache for it. Easier just to use a 'normal' dGPU. Unless Apple buys Nvidia and designs a new CPU/GPU to compete with Intel. But that is a completely different story, and I don't really see that happening.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
there is a very little chance of this being real because apple usually doesn't release new products during back to school.
Seems true as it is rumored to happen at the earliest tomorrow now, according to latest rumors....

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Nvidia makes 4bn in revenue a year. They are worth more than that... Not sure why apple would want them though, as they seem to be looking to remove dGPUs from all their computers.

Nvidia market cap is around $10bn.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012

Not Apple is looking for it, but Intel will ditch the dGPUs from computers. They are doing it with Broadwell.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas

im not saying apple would buy nvidia , i was suggesting if intel was to buyout nvidia to improve there integrated graphics and it was a waaaaaaaaaaaay far off idea lol

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
im not saying apple would buy nvidia , i was suggesting if intel was to buyout nvidia to improve there integrated graphics and it was a waaaaaaaaaaaay far off idea lol

Intel is going in a completely different direction with their iGPU. They are not using GDDR5 and instead using an integrated L4 cache. They are also focusing on compute instead of gaming performance.

Silverguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
Should the laptops come out tomorrow, when would they be posted? I know Apple generally takes their store down at night to do the updates, but would it be today or tomorrow night? Is there any precedent? I wonder because my 14-day return policy expires tomorrow, although I do hear tell that sometimes they'll stretch that out to 30 if you ask nicely.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Should the laptops come out tomorrow, when would they be posted? I know Apple generally takes their store down at night to do the updates, but would it be today or tomorrow night? Is there any precedent? I wonder because my 14-day return policy expires tomorrow, although I do hear tell that sometimes they'll stretch that out to 30 if you ask nicely.

Usually Tuesday morning so tonight we'll know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.