Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
I see no lag. The 2015 MacBook is superb and I assure you MacBook users would see Yosemite lag ;)

Ahaha , almost no macbook user saw the horrible ui lag on yosemite , the 2015 macbook is badly underpowered , please scroll a pdf and see .
So thank you but no thank you for replay .

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Ahaha , almost no macbook user saw the horrible ui lag on yosemite , the 2015 macbook is badly underpowered , please scroll a pdf and see .
So thank you but no thank you for replay .

I have a 2015 macbook. I use yosemite and el capitan. If you don't want to take my word for it, whatever. Launcher fades in butter smooth. Windows now slide into their doc perfectly smooth unlike before metal was used as the underpinnings of core animation.

(opens pdf) scrolls smoothly. the gpu in macbook more than handles these things, it was mostly OpenGL overhead.

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
My MacBook Pro Retina 15" early 2013 is suffering from this too. The Dock (the enlargement animation), Launchpad (Opening and closing, as well as opening and closing folders), scrolling in Safari and Finder. It is for me periodically, sometimes none, other times very bad. And my games are suffering from the same problem. One moment fine, and another very bad. Didn't have this problem until the recent update.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Check your CPU usage when lag spikes occur, this sounds like a process that got out of hand. I do not experience any lag whatsoever here.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
My MacBook Pro Retina 15" early 2013 is suffering from this too. The Dock (the enlargement animation), Launchpad (Opening and closing, as well as opening and closing folders), scrolling in Safari and Finder. It is for me periodically, sometimes none, other times very bad. And my games are suffering from the same problem. One moment fine, and another very bad. Didn't have this problem until the recent update.

That tells us something. El capitan only improves core animation for ui but games are unaffected unless uodated to use metal. Likely this is cpu.

I bet you have that damn feedback service running a lot. It seems to take large amounts of time gathering info for crash reports.

Run activity monitor and see.

edit: look for spindump service in activity monitor. It is the tool used to collect the data for apple to analyze a crash. I think feedback assistant uses it to create feedback 'snapshots' of what your mac is doing when there is an issue. Mine got stuck ago 100% a while back and I had to force kill it. It shows up as lag and overheating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Da Hurdler

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
That tells us something. El capitan only improves core animation for ui but games are unaffected unless uodated to use metal. Likely this is cpu.

I bet you have that damn feedback service running a lot. It seems to take large amounts of time gathering info for crash reports.

Run activity monitor and see.

It actually does seem to affect my games as well. They tend to throttle quite at lot after just a few minutes. They did throttle a little before the update, but not this much.

The Feedback utility is not running unless I am actually reporting something. Because you are right, it drains the CPU.

However, since this afternoon (danish time) I havn't had the UI lag problem. Funny, cause a restart didn't fix it, but 5 hours of standby did....?

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
OS X is now really bad , will be running windows exclusivly on my macbook air . What is the point on trying all day to make the OS running ok .

Windows = get work done !

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
OS X is now really bad , will be running windows exclusivly on my macbook air . What is the point on trying all day to make the OS running ok .

Ahhh I wouldn't say so in my case. My Windows machine is not exactly getting the work done for me. I do however know this is a very subjective thing :)

I am staying with OS X, since windows doesn't have the applications to deal with tasks. At least not in the way I like.

And on a second note, my PC has not taken kindly to Windows 10, and has been experiencing frequent system crashes for no reason.

By the way, with your orientation of OS, aren't you kinda in the wrong forum ;-) (No offense)

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands

Guess your work is clicking away More.. and Advanced.. buttons and clicking dialogs away ^_^ :p
Anyway, on-topic.. I do experience with beta 5 and beta 6 that I get some sluggy behaviour here and there what beta2 and beta 3 didn't have.

Reactions: Lunder89

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
Exactly my point !

Not to state the obvious, but but you can't judge an OS in its beta form. Remember how much Vista changed from RC2 to its final form, alone on boot, we are talking 3-4 minutes shaved off. (It had serious problems with reliability and compatibility, because they released a little too soon, SP2 was okay, in my experience)

I think the only stable beta I have ever run of any OS, was Windows 7. (Mind you it was a late beta :) )

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
My Retina MacBook is super smooth with El Capitan beta 8. This was not the case in Yosemite, especially in Mission Control (even my 27" iMac was lagging). Now everything is smooth and works very well. Apple finally optimized its UI.

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
Bro , Yosemite , which is final product is worst than El Capitan beta in terms of UI Lag , and it's final release . We all got excited with the first el capitan betas that the ui lag and performance is better , but with Public beta 5 , 6 and Developer beta 7 , 8 the lag is back . Apple desktop grade software , the most advance operating sistem in the world is a joke , even windows vista was stable once you disabled aero .

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Bro , Yosemite , which is final product is worst than El Capitan beta in terms of UI Lag , and it's final release . We all got excited with the first el capitan betas that the ui lag and performance is better , but with Public beta 5 , 6 and Developer beta 7 , 8 the lag is back . Apple desktop grade software , the most advance operating sistem in the world is a joke , even windows vista was stable once you disabled aero .
I am not your bro. You said what you wanted, people can now read it and judge by themselves. Now please, go away, or make a video showing the lag.

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark

Okay... OS X Yosemite has not been Apples best OS. It was poorly optimized for Retina displays, as was Mavericks and Mountain Lion.
But in terms of reliability, I don't think Windows comes close to OS X. I have had zero crashes on OS X since I got my MacBook Pro Retina 15" back in 2013. I can't count the same on my PC. Windows 8 was fairly reliable, but Windows update caused a few more problems, than it felt like it solved, for me.
And Windows 10 is not getting off to a good start, in fact, it is so unreliable I can't do any actual work on it currently, because I don't know when it is going to crash on me, some days running for, well days, other times it crashes 10 minutes after a reboot. (And yes drivers and everything has been updated, I am tech-guy and know what I am doing)

Now I am NOT trying to convert you. Your OS, your choice. But saying that OS X being to most advanced OS is a joke. I am sorry, just shows how little you know about OS X's core, and what goes on beneath the surface, and what's actually possible for someone who is not afraid of exploring OS X. (I am sorry for being harsh, this is NOT written to offend you in any way)

We all have our choices and preferences, and I respect that. You choose Windows, fair enough. Just don't expect everyone to feel the same way.

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
Okay... OS X Yosemite has not been Apples best OS. It was poorly optimized for Retina displays, as was Mavericks and Mountain Lion.
But in terms of reliability, I don't think Windows comes close to OS X. I have had zero crashes on OS X since I got my MacBook Pro Retina 15" back in 2013. I can't count the same on my PC. Windows 8 was fairly reliable, but Windows update caused a few more problems, than it felt like it solved, for me.
And Windows 10 is not getting off to a good start, in fact, it is so unreliable I can't do any actual work on it currently, because I don't know when it is going to crash on me, some days running for, well days, other times it crashes 10 minutes after a reboot. (And yes drivers and everything has been updated, I am tech-guy and know what I am doing)

Now I am NOT trying to convert you. Your OS, your choice. But saying that OS X being to most advanced OS is a joke. I am sorry, just shows how little you know about OS X's core, and what goes on beneath the surface, and what's actually possible for someone who is not afraid of exploring OS X. (I am sorry for being harsh, this is NOT written to offend you in any way)

We all have our choices and preferences, and I respect that. You choose Windows, fair enough. Just don't expect everyone to feel the same way.

I'm not choosing windows over os x , both have their problems . I know that os x is unix based , and whole thing is like a pdf , but windows 10 is faster on same hardware . Even with metal it feels that os x adds to much overhead on graphics , cpu and memory and that is not advanced to me . The only advantage os x has over windows is smooth scrolling in safari and the ui , which is not an advantaje now with the whole UI LAG .

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
I'm not choosing windows over os x , both have their problems . I know that os x is unix based , and whole thing is like a pdf , but windows 10 is faster on same hardware . Even with metal it feels that os x adds to much overhead on graphics , cpu and memory and that is not advanced to me . The only advantage os x has over windows is smooth scrolling in safari and the ui , which is not an advantaje now with the whole UI LAG .
Sounds an awful lot like it... Anyway....

Guess the performance depends on the hardware. I have a couple of times run Windows on my Mac. (for some good games of course). I can't really feel the difference in performance, but the Mac tends to get a lot hotter running installations and updates, compared to OS X doing the same... And it's not like it feels faster on Windows, I think windows and OS X are just working differently. I often feel the way Windows does things feels unresponsive, even tough it isn't. I feel it's easier to tell wether the Mac is doing something, or isn't, compared to windows.
But I have no proof (application start times or file copying times). But wether OS X is in general throttling performance more than windows.... I don't know.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida

This kid must be astroturfing or trolling.

n1smo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
I find El Capitan UI much smoother than Yosemite. In fact, with PB6, I find it is every bit as stable as Yosemite. I've run El Capitan since PB1 on my 15' rMBP w/AMD R9 M370X and Yosemite before that. I still run Yosemite on my wife's 27" iMac and it is buggy as hell compare to my rMBP.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
I find no lag on DB8 what so ever.

The only UI "lag" I can find is by opening Notification Center for the first timer after booting up. Other than that, El Capitan is running buttery smooth for me :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.