Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage4.png
Developer David Barnard tweeted today that Apple is requiring that he remove direct links from his app Launch Center Pro because the app uses "undocumented APIs" to launch built-in Apple apps.

According to Barnard's tweets:
Apple called to let me know that we are using "undocumented APIs" in @launchcenterpro and that we need to remove certain Apple app URLs. [1]

The URLs will still work, but we have to remove Calendar, FaceTime, FaceTime Audio, GameCenter, Music, Passbook, Videos, Reminders, and iTMS. [2]

To be clear, these URLs will work just fine unless Apple actually removes them from their respective apps. [3]

All of those URLs have one thing in common, they are apps that ship with iOS. Apple apps in the App Store seem to still be fair game. [4]

And to be fair, those URLs *are* technically undocumented. I'm not even sure how they were discovered by people who shared them with us. [5]
Launch Center Pro is a speed dial-esque alternative launcher that uses hidden URLs to quickly open apps. Because the URLs to Apple's built-in apps are undocumented (with the exception of FaceTime), app developers are forbidden from using them on the App Store.

Launch Center Pro received a significant update to version 2.0 last week. It's available for $4.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Launch Center Pro' Developer Must Remove 'Undocumented APIs' to Apple Apps

Quercus Alba

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
But you can just add the URLs back in manually once the app has been updated to remove them, yeah?

Rules are rules, but this is just being finicky!

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
I wish Apple would just allow custom apps to be selected in the Control Centre. Perhaps in iOS7.1 (or 8)?

I'm still waiting for weekend settings to DND settings, so I won't hold my breath...

GadgetDon

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2002
It's the same reasoning it's always been for Undocumented APIs. Say for iOS 7.1 they change the URLs for some reason. Suddenly, on installing an update, the App no longer works. Unhappy customers, who installed an iOS update and it broke things, "Lousy QA"

In this case, it's perhaps unlikely to change, and maybe they should document it. But until they chose to do so, undocumented APIs remain undocumented and thus subject to change and app developers can't use them.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
I wish Apple would just allow custom apps to be selected in the Control Centre. Perhaps in iOS7.1 (or 8)?

I'm still waiting for weekend settings to DND settings, so I won't hold my breath...

Aah I miss the weekend settings from my BB and Android. But there are DND settings. Not robust at all but curious - what would make them better for you? Maybe I dont know I am missing something! :)

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Aah I miss the weekend settings from my BB and Android. But there are DND settings. Not robust at all but curious - what would make them better for you? Maybe I dont know I am missing something! :)

Well of course there are DND settings, but it only allows the setting of a global DND time window.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007

What would make them better is for their to be some variability in them. For instance, if you work 5 days a week and you want DND enabled at 10pm on those days, but then on the weekends you don't want DND to be enabled at all, or at a later date, there is no viable way to do that except to manually turn on and off DND.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
And yet it's still listed on the App Store under the Best New App list on the main page. (why app updates are listed under a "new" apps section is another question) It should be removed from the store until the developer can pull this stuff. Developers should not be rewarded for using private APIs.

It's curious though because Apple is widely believed to have and use an app scanner to check for private API usage. Either this is false, it's out-of-date, they stopped using it, or this developer went to great lengths to hide this usage.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It's the same reasoning it's always been for Undocumented APIs. Say for iOS 7.1 they change the URLs for some reason. Suddenly, on installing an update, the App no longer works. Unhappy customers, who installed an iOS update and it broke things, "Lousy QA"

In this case, it's perhaps unlikely to change, and maybe they should document it. But until they chose to do so, undocumented APIs remain undocumented and thus subject to change and app developers can't use them.

As a developer wouldn't the designer of Launch Center Pro either be privy to changes in URL schemes? (I guess not, if they are undocumented) At the very least he could put out a fix quickly?

But as you say, Apple should document these API's. They make iOS better.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
As a developer wouldn't the designer of Launch Center Pro either be privy to changes in URL schemes? (I guess not, if they are undocumented) At the very least he could put out a fix quickly?

But as you say, Apple should document these API's. They make iOS better.

He'd have access to the betas as well to get the fixes out before release.

drbarnard

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
And yet it's still listed on the App Store under the Best New App list on the main page. (why app updates are listed under a "new" apps section is another question) It should be removed from the store until the developer can pull this stuff. Developers should not be rewarded for using private APIs.

It's curious though because Apple is widely believed to have and use an app scanner to check for private API usage. Either this is false, it's out-of-date, they stopped using it, or this developer went to great lengths to hide this usage.

For the record, we didn’t try in any way to hide our use of those URLs from Apple. They have been clearly documented in the app for over a year. Also, the API used to open a URL is clearly public, we use it to open every other 3rd party URL used in Launch Center Pro. The only thing that was not publicly documented was the specific URLs used to launch certain Apple apps. People sent them to us over the years and we included them the Action Composer to make adding them more convenient. Items in the Action Composer can be added and removed remotely and we plan to remove these URLs today per Apple's request.

david
Contrast

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
For the record, we didn’t try in any way to hide our use of those URLs from Apple. They have been clearly documented in the app for over a year. Also, the API used to open a URL is clearly public, we use it to open every other 3rd party URL used in Launch Center Pro. The only thing that was not publicly documented was the specific URLs used to launch certain Apple apps. People sent them to us over the years and we included them the Action Composer to make adding them more convenient. Items in the Action Composer can be added and removed remotely and we plan to remove these URLs today per Apple's request.

david
Contrast

Fair enough, and in your defense I'm not sure how Apple can consider URLs, documented or not, as an "API". But it's their playground, and you were playing with fire. But I'm sure you already knew that. ;)

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I'm surprised that Apple didn't pull the app from the App Store. It's sole purpose is to use a loophole to "customize" the OS. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but I thought Apple would remove it.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
If Apple could buy "Chomp" for it's functionality and then incorporate it, then they definitely should consider buying the development of this app.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
With this logic, Apple should remove every app that has a Review link. AFAIK, there's no documented URL for taking users directly to the review composer for an app in the App Store, yet many apps include them and Apple never rejects them on that basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.