Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
To get a carrier specific iPhone, don't you have to agree to their contract?

For unlocked you can get either option below without contract.

What I'm saying is. From my chat with someone on the Apple website.

The only difference between Sim-Free and T-Mobile is that the T-Mobile unlocked version comes with a nano sim you can use to activate the phone.

So you can just get that version for 9/20 delivery unless I was given wrong info.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.34.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 1.34.37 PM.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 79

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
That's a silly thing to say, and it makes me a bit frustrated because I know that will be the joke of the technology-afraid American people this fall. Until everybody forgets. Which always seems to happen.

Let's not make the "**** on Apple because it's fun" game escalate any more than it has to. Fingerprints are stored in a special section of the phone. Practically nothing gets access to them, and they certainly are never sent to any servers.

Plus, as Klae17 mentioned, the government already has your fingerprints. They have much more on you than your silly fingerprints.

NSA does not represent the US government! Effectively NSA is way high above the general US government, with the extreme power it has and the extremely weak restriction other entities could possibly place on it.

Last edited:

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
The fact that all of the T-Mobile models are still available indicates they under produced the sim-less units, rather than demand being high. A deal with the carriers maybe?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
This one is special because it is new, and because it is unlike any recent iPhone.

The 4S was not new when the 5 was introduced, and it was very similar to the aged i4.

Nothing new about it except the colored shell. Correct me if am wrong but 5C IS iPhone 5 (which is replacing) in a new colored body.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
The fact that all of the T-Mobile models are still available indicates they under produced the sim-less units, rather than demand being high. A deal with the carriers maybe?

I'm sure Apple preferred to err on the side of having too many phones with a SIM card that people might not use, rather than too many with no SIM card that people might need. It's the same phone....just throw away the SIM card if you're not going to use T-mobile.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I'm sure Apple preferred to err on the side of having too many phones with a SIM card that people might not use, rather than too many with no SIM card that people might need. It's the same phone....just throw away the SIM card if you're not going to use T-mobile.

Or they know which side their bread is buttered on.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I find it funny that the media is hyping it as if Apple is releasing two brand new phones, or they really don't know that it is the 5 in a polycarbonate shell. People want new.

I think it can safely be said that every 5C sold through out the world between now and the 20th will be a new iPhone.

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
Almost every child is fingerprinted in Elementary school and has been since the 80's. If you think they need this phone to get your fingerprint you're already a lost cause.

I dont believe this statement is true for everybody - in many countries fingerprints are NOT taken.

impossible, since the device only stores hashed templates locally in the A7, not prints on a server. hackers will quickly verify via a control room that they arent being transmitted.

Never say impossible, Apple (and others) have enough backdoors to allow others into your "encrypted" information - despite all the promises and so called technical hoopla that your data is safe. Don't be naive

Hell, even if you dont use the touch-id it can still scan your fingerprint - you will never know.

The finger-print is the one password you cant change - think about that.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Again, we are told they are selling out but not getting numbers of units sold. So these reports are nearly useless other than to create the (maybe false) need to order now.

The goal of every manufacturer is to create as lean an inventory as possible but at the same time provide sufficient supply. Creating a such a tight supply that you risk under-supply is a high-stakes game that could easily backfire. Apple has never struck me a company taking that kind of risk. Recall that last year, iMacs were in low supply as well - in fact the release date got pushed back. iMac sales were hurt along with Apple's earnings.

I'd say the pre-orders is a way for Apple to gauge the demand. If it's higher than they expected (and it almost always is), then Apple can probably increase the orders/hire more workers to meet the the demand. Keeping the inventory lean reduces their costs (ie increases their earnings).

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Apple is brilliant in targeting two demographics here. The young and, well, "girly" will go for the colorful 5c (I think that it will outsell the 5s by a lot).

Older folks (and men) that want more "class" will go for the 5s.

However, I think that if Apple allowed toning down the OS colors, it might mitigate the loss of those of us who just don't want to look like they're pulling out a bag of tropical fruit Jelly Belly from their dark power suit to make a call.

Aesthetics matter. Unfortunately, this is the first time that I actually consider jailbreaking a necessity.

I just don't like the OS color scheme!!!. I don't think "The Most Iinteresting Man in the World" would like it either...:p

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Or they know which side their bread is buttered on.

True...I'm sure a number of people who buy this phone will think that they have to use T-mobile or will use them simply because the SIM is there. And I'm sure T-mobile "encouraged" Apple to have plenty of unlocked phones with T-mobile SIMs at the ready.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
That has nothing to do with one another. The 4S may have sold well because it was the best iPhone available with a 3.5 inch display that Apple was selling people as perfect for years. I know people who wanted to stay with that screen size. Also it still used the old dock connector which was a positive thing for people who had spent a lot on accessories. So new (5C) vs. not new (4S) does not mean new will sell better.

I am sorry, but the kind of logic you are applying here is exactly why so many business decisions prove a failure in retrospect. You have to look at the whole picture when making a decision. Almost nobody ever mentions that the 4S sold better than other previous generation phones because it had factors going for it that others did not have…

I may be wrong as well. But I just hope Apple checked why the 4S was selling so good, cause all I ever heard was "price" and I really doubt that this is the only reason.

4 sold equally well when 4s was new. 3GS sold well when 4 was new. 3G sold well when 3GS was new. Same screen sizes, same dock connectors, etc. The 4s was just the most recent example, not the only.

The point is that even a year-old model sells well - consistently, across generations - with a $100 discount. There is every reason to believe the 5c - a "new" model - will sell equally well or better at the same discount.

run1976

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Germany
4 sold equally well when 4s was new. 3GS sold well when 4 was new. 3G sold well when 3GS was new. Same screen sizes, same dock connectors, etc. The 4s was just the most recent example, not the only.

The point is that even a year-old model sells well - consistently, across generations - with a $100 discount. There is every reason to believe the 5c - a "new" model - will sell equally well or better at the same discount.

That is not true. The 4S sold better in comparison to the iPhone 5 when compared to previous generations:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...of-apples-smartphone-sales-iphone-4s-takes-30

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
guys i wonder if the yellow version sells well because apple had a deal with yellow-inclined people

omg TIME FOR CONSPIRACY

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Again, we are told they are selling out but not getting numbers of units sold. So these reports are nearly useless other than to create the (maybe false) need to order now.

Apple isn't commenting on sales yet, only Macrumors is. Until/if apple or the carriers do, we might be left in the dark.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Probably most people who spend any time on macrumors wouldn't spring for a 5c over a 5s.
I spend lots of time on Macrumors. I bought a 5c in yellow. I like the shape much better and just don't need a fingerprint sensor or the speed of the A7. The only thing I feel like I'm giving up is the camera, but I can live without it - I've been content with the 4 and 4S camera for ages, and rely on my Sony Nex-7 for really good pictures.

----------

Apple is brilliant in targeting two demographics here. The young and, well, "girly" will go for the colorful 5c (I think that it will outsell the 5s by a lot).

Older folks (and men) that want more "class" will go for the 5s.
I see an awful lot of ridiculous generalizations being made here on Macrumors about who is buying the 5c. I'm 41, very male (and straight, just for the record) and I have a yellow 5c on the way because I preferred its shape (and color, honestly). Macrumors forum members really need to get over themselves. Your masculinity is not determined by an electronic communications device.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I spend lots of time on Macrumors. I bought a 5c in yellow. I like the shape much better and just don't need a fingerprint sensor or the speed of the A7. The only thing I feel like I'm giving up is the camera, but I can live without it - I've been content with the 4 and 4S camera for ages, and rely on my Sony Nex-7 for really good pictures.

----------

I see an awful lot of ridiculous generalizations being made here on Macrumors about who is buying the 5c. I'm 41, very male (and straight, just for the record) and I have a yellow 5c on the way because I preferred its shape (and color, honestly). Macrumors forum members really need to get over themselves. Your masculinity is not determined by an electronic communications device.

Sounds well reasoned to me, enjoy your phone.

I think if Apple had released the 5s in color as well (they should have) - the color versions would have sold better (and made them more profit)...makes me think of those old iMac color commercials...

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010

----------

Thank you, very well said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.