Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GooberMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Ever since upgrading to Yosemite the Launchpad keeps rearranging my apps. It's nothing big, but I use the launchpad pretty frequently and arranged them to my liking, and they keep getting shuffled around to different places.

Anyone by chance know of a way to fix this?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
system preferences/mission control

the top option. Un tick it. You'll know it when you see it :)

GooberMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
system preferences/mission control

the top option. Un tick it. You'll know it when you see it :)

This is the launchpad, not mission control, and it's only rearranging a few of them: the dictionary app, the system settings app, the app store app, and maybe a few more. So it's not rearranging them by use.

Tried you're suggestion anyways, just for the heck of it. :p Didn't work. :(

One other thing to note, when I first installed Yosemite I was moving apps around in the launchpad, putting them in folders, etc. And in a few instances it created duplicate app icons. I deleted the without a problem, or so it seemed at the time. Not sure if that's related or not.

This is such a strange little glitch, but it's driving me nuts because like I say I do use the launchpad frequently.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
oh sorry I thought that was it. Up early. Didn't sleep. blah blah I have all the excuses but simply boils down to I misunderstood :D

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Is the complete arrangement gone or are only your changes not saved? The latter case could point to a permissions error. I suggest running a disk permissions repair of your OS X partition in Disk Utility. Alternatively, you could destroy your LaunchPad library and start from scratch (which might the best solution if your LaunchPad database is corrupted).

Last edited:

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
This is the launchpad, not mission control, and it's only rearranging a few of them: the dictionary app, the system settings app, the app store app, and maybe a few more. So it's not rearranging them by use.

Tried you're suggestion anyways, just for the heck of it. :p Didn't work. :(

One other thing to note, when I first installed Yosemite I was moving apps around in the launchpad, putting them in folders, etc. And in a few instances it created duplicate app icons. I deleted the without a problem, or so it seemed at the time. Not sure if that's related or not.

This is such a strange little glitch, but it's driving me nuts because like I say I do use the launchpad frequently.

I had exactly the same on my 2011 i7 Air when upgrading from 10.7. to 10.10. The system rearranged the Apps each time after a strat-up, very annoying.
I moved all files to an external drive and whiped my Air SSD completely and did a clean install from USB stick. It got fixed then, no more problems - except slow OS booting and dropping WIFI now......

GooberMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Tried the disk repair, didn't work. Not too keen on deleting anything or reinstalling. Searched around a bit more and found this, which seems to have worked:

http://ranasandeepsingh.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/activate-the-default-settings-for-os-x-launchpad/

It's just some terminal commands. I did them in this order:

defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true

killall Dock

defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool false

killall Dock

It reset everything even the folder names. I then rearranged things to my liking and after two restarts their positions are staying in place.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Launchpad is an absolute abortion of a feature. I can't believe Apple hasn't either done something to fix/improve it, or just kill it. Either way, there are far better ways to launch apps on the Mac. I would suggest trying them—because this problem isn't likely to be fixed by Apple anytime soon.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Launchpad is an absolute abortion of a feature. I can't believe Apple hasn't either done something to fix/improve it, or just kill it. Either way, there are far better ways to launch apps on the Mac. I would suggest trying them—because this problem isn't likely to be fixed by Apple anytime soon.

That's suggesting without being specific!

I started using Launchpad some when I saw how El Capitan's Spotlight behaves. The sorting of apps doesn't really concern me as I type the app name to find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.