Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrviga

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Hey all,

I am going to be purchasing either a PB or PM with the next batch of updates and I noticed how expensive Apple displays are. Are there any alternatives that are cheaper, but still look as amazing (cosmetically/quality of picture). I dont want to buy a black one...it just seems wrong, but a nice silver one or white one(not dirty beige) would be great. I cant really find any on the web, but maybe im just not looking hard enough.

Thanks

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
not an easy task

I have the same trouble.

Now there are a few samsung choices but there is only one or two that are widescreen and they are HD tv also, so the prices are high,
I think that there is one Wodescreen smasung for computers but i have found it anywhere yet.

Viewsonic is NOT an option anymore.

Formac has too many bad reviews!

I am going to check out SONY.
I think that they have widescreen but the specs on SONY arent not usually the best.

The contrast ratio has to be at least 600:1
And with so many HD tvs with higher cd/m around 400....

I would think that this is the lowest common denominator.
I think that there is a cycle of new lcd screens coming,
that will be widescreen!

This means about a 3 months wait , i think.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I have a Hitachi CML-174 and love it. It has both a VGA input, and DVI input... it's a 17" LCD monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024. It's not widescreen, but is fine for my uses.

Also, it's available in either black or white, and sells for about $440:

http://compare.monitorsdirect.com/hitachidisplays/products.jsp?cat=lcd&size=17

The CML-175 is the exact same thing, but has built-in speakers (which probably aren't very good).

EDIT: actually, now that I look at it again... it's available in beige not white. bah :( (I bought the black one to go with my Pismo PowerBook)

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
only widescreen for me

After using a Ti for so many years there is NO way that I can use any other
proportional system on a LCD.

I want a LCD with widescreen and the proper contrast ratio so I can use it for proper graphics work, I think that because of DVD's and where TV is going that soon all monitors, or most of them will be Widescreen!

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
mrviga said:
Hey all,

I am going to be purchasing either a PB or PM with the next batch of updates and I noticed how expensive Apple displays are. Are there any alternatives that are cheaper, but still look as amazing (cosmetically/quality of picture). I dont want to buy a black one...it just seems wrong, but a nice silver one or white one(not dirty beige) would be great. I cant really find any on the web, but maybe im just not looking hard enough.

Thanks

I had the same problem as you when I wanted to purchase an LCD for a new powermac. I wanted the LCD to be of high quality and look very good. The monitor I wanted to buy had to be silver or silver and black. I finally came down to two choices: the KDS Rad7c ($430) or the AOC LM729 ($450). Both were very highly rated and looked great to be matched up with a powermac.

In the end I went with the KDS monitor and the first thing my friends said when they say it was "That thing looks sweet." :D

Two great monitors, one hard choice. But you can't lose with either of those... :)

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
What's so good about widescreen? Are you kidding?

First, it is closest to the proper aspect ratio that is used in FILM.
So, it is better for viewing and making film in.

Second, it is an aspect that is set according to the Golden Ratio of art.

This creates a sense of balance and well being.
A square is static and uninspiring. So PC!

There are others but I will stop there.

Its widescreen or BUST!

Notice that all of APPLE's computers have widescreen...
Except the 17" which is about to be discontinued.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Grokgod said:
What's so good about widescreen? Are you kidding?

First, it is closest to the proper aspect ratio that is used in FILM.
So, it is better for viewing and making film in.

Second, it is an aspect that is set according to the Golden Ratio of art.

This creates a sense of balance and well being.
A square is static and uninspiring. So PC!

There are others but I will stop there.

Its widescreen or BUST!

Notice that all of APPLE's computers have widescreen...
Except the 17" which is about to be discontinued.

When you are making film you don't need to use the entire screen. Why not have a wide aspect window and not take up all of the monitor?

Golden ration of..... yea w/e.

Apple's 15 inch iMac doesn't have widescreen...

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
ok there is a low end iMac with a 15 inch screen that doesnt have a widescreen, are you in a hurry to buy that? :D

The iMac's are up to a 20 inch widescreen. I think that there is a natural progression here, and its obvious.
From computer screens to TV's, Plasma's and Tv LCD's

Its all Widescreen!

i am not sure what W/E means

But the Golden Ratio is a proportional system developed that reflects the balance system in nature. It is an aspect that creates movement and unifying balance.

Ohhh, you mean "Whatever!" LOL

Ok well to professional artists that system means quite a bit more than a sophomoric whatever. Perhaps a bit of study into the history of art and its value to culture and all of society will help diminish the Whatevers. ;)

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Back on topic... Apple LCDs are actually not more expensive than other quality LCDs, so you'll have a hard time finding a cheaper option. The exception is the 17" LCD which is overpriced (and not even ws), you could get a very nice Samsung (172x or 173p) for less. If you take 2 and have them side by side with their very thin bezels, it'll be "widescreen" as well...
There are some 20" LCDs that are nice and *slightly* cheaper than the Cinema Display (HP L2035 has the best price/performance ratio IMO, it goes for under a grand), but none of them are ws.
In the > 20" market there are a few ws options (Sony, Samsung, HP), but again, they aren't really cheaper than the Cinema HD.
If I were you (which I kinda am, 'cause I'm going to buy a PM + LCD(s) as well), I would wait until next tuesday/NAB/WWDC/ad infinitum for the new Apple Alu LCDs that will be introduced alongside the PM G5 Rev. B and decide after you see their looks/price/specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.