Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Leaf Trombone: World Stage [App Store, $0.99], the latest application from Smule, has been released and is now available in the App Store at an introductory price of $0.99. Originally demoed at Apple's iPhone OS 3.0 media event last month, Leaf Trombone: World Stage is a musical instrument application in the vein of Smule's popular Ocarina application.

Leaf Trombone: World Stage allows iPhone users to combine breath and multi-touch input to create melodies with the sound of a trombone. A "touch-only" mode is also available for iPod touch users.
Play:
Leaf Trombone World Stage is a trombone, and, while inspired by traditional Chinese leaf blowers, it sounds like the real brass instrument.

Learning to play the Leaf Trombone is easy. If you have ever had music lessons, you will pick it up instantly. If not, our easy to follow lighted pegs will teach you to play any song from our enormous library of user-created melodies.

Perform:
Here’s where the World Stage part comes in. Anyone can perform before a global audience. A panel of judges (i.e. other Leaf Trombonists) will send you love or, encouragement to try again, through short messages and emoticons.

Judge:
Once you've played around with the Trombone, you're ready to be a judge, too! You can help other Leaf Trombonists by listening to their performances and giving them your honest opinion of their artistry. Or, if you happen to be in a bad mood…

Be the audience:
Too shy? Trombone finger tired? Just kick back and listen to aspiring artists as well as accomplished maestros perform. Be entertained by your favorite performers, songs and judges.

Compose:
Feeling truly creative? Go to our easy-to-use online composition tool to post your own score or musical accompaniment to store for your own use or to share with the world community of Smuleans.
Gizmodo points to an amusing demo of the application by Rhett & Link, who tackle "Movin' on Up", the theme song from the '70s and '80s television show The Jeffersons.

Article Link: 'Leaf Trombone: World Stage' Arrives in App Store

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Is it just me or is the menu flow totally non-existent in this app? Once I choose an option on the main screen, there's no way to get back to the main menu on most screens. Once I choose whether I want to have it play via touch or by blowing into the mic, there's no way to change that setting later. I can barely get any sound out of it using the mic (and I'm unable to change the input method away from this).. it's not just that I suck at blowing, because I immediately loaded up Ocarina and I can play it just fine blowing in the same direction/speed/etc.

I'm using the 3.0 beta firmware... is anyone else on the beta experiencing this? It makes the app mostly useless for the time being

Jeff321

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Blowing doesn't work for me either (normal OS).

The menus and navigation work just fine though.

veeco3110

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
brick nj
they have rusty trombone apps...little gross hahaha. i romanced my girlfriend with the you are my sunshine song on this app. really easy to use. alot easier than ocarina

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I see a lot of water sensors turning red, and the warranty department at Apple breaking into broad smiles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.