Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Re adapters, like thunderbolt to displayport / hdmi / vga / network, take your pick of soon to be redundant and need to replaced or plug adapter into adapter if Apple go fully usb-c.
Re lightening cable, why add a new lightening socket to a.laptop when it takes up the same space as a usb-c socket which is superior. Apple will just give a usb-c to lightening cable in newer phones and expect older iPhone 6 / iPad users to get a new cable if the need one.
Lightening cable would take far too long to charge a laptop anyway.

Apples and oranges. Apple owns Lightning, and has committed to it, and if the rumor is true, a lot is riding on it with the removal of the headphone jack -- I say again, they are not going to force new iPhone users to use an adapter on their new Macs just to listen to music.

Apple is no doubt going full USB-C, as will many PC makers competing in the ultra-portable space. It is hands down the best technology ever for such a device, and I go all the way back to the PowerBook Duo days, when my laptop had one native serial port and needed a dock for everything else.

Apple loses nothing by dropping HDMI, VGA, Display Port, or Ethernet. They don't make any products that otherwise use those connections, and those who presently use Thunderbolt pale by comparison to the number of iPhone users who use headphones between their phones and Macs.

So Lightning would be added primarily as a convenience for Apple's own audio products. With the rumored MBP, it leaves all four USB-C ports free for peripherals, since it can be used to charge the MBP using the same Lightning cable that iPhone users are already going to be traveling with. USB-C cables won't be easy to come by for a couple of years if you forget yours at home. The rMB already has a dedicated 3.5mm jack that does nothing but pass analogue audio signals, so what difference does it make if Apple replaces it with a Lightning port, since that is going to be the new Apple audio connector for its most widely sold product? Not only does Lightning leave the USB-C port free when used as a charging port, but allows it to optionally be used as a data port should an rMB need to attach two peripherals. Add to that anyone who has a substantial investment in Lightning peripherals will be able to use them with the Lightning equipped MacBooks now -- something that also saves Apple money for low bandwidth adapters for which they only need manufacture one. It's win win for everyone.

devasan

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2016
Any office that doesn't have one USB A to USB-C cable within a years time will truly be outdated. It that particular case, and in most typical use cases I can imagine, the one single most common problem will be the shape of the connector needed to attach a USB cable from a device to your MacBook.

Every office I know (dozens) is 'outdated'. Not one of them has a usb-c device and within a year I doubt that will have changed. I just recommended a new printer for one office I volunteer in. There was not even a usb-c option available for the line of business printers we chose from.

It's consumers and tech-fetishists who want such 'progress'. In every office I work in, they don't care about this stuff at all. What they have works and they will keep using it (and paying no attention to it) for years to come.
[doublepost=1466105582][/doublepost]
The point still stands though, regardless - the design language direction here points to MagSafe being a solution to a problem that Apple hopes to virtually eliminate through having "All day battery life."

My 2015 15" MBP never comes close to all day battery life. I charge it three times a day. I always have dozens of safari tabs open, photo editor, design software, lightroom, ftp client, pages and audio editing software. I never ever go out without the charger. I constantly use the charger at cafes, offices, etc.

Magsafe is one of the best things ever made. The cord frequently gets tugged on when out. I would feel a constant stress if it didn't just pop out without harm. I'd say an average of 3 times per week someone steps on it, kicks it, or I do myself. Magsafe has saved so many repairs for me.

I consider it an essential safeguard

RHD 42

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
I have nothing that will connect to that.
Not my back up drives, my mouse, my camera, nothing.
Also don't understand the point of the OLED function keys.
Think I might end the year long wait and buy a current one while it's still got USB ports and magsafe.

Reactions: entropi

Euphemia

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2016
If it's 25-30% lighter and has Skylake processor / better graphics then sign me up!

Sure the disappearance of USB-A and MagSafe is a bit inconvenient for now, but they would eventually have to take that step if they wanted a thinner, lighter MacBook. Plus if they don't do it now, their competitors will do it and take the crown.

We complained about non-replaceable batteries a long time ago but they were introduced to improve portability and the topic is now a distant memory.

Reactions: MareLuce

RHD 42

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
If it's 25-30% lighter and has Skylake processor / better graphics then sign me up!

Sure the disappearance of USB-A and MagSafe is a bit inconvenient for now, but they would eventually have to take that step if they wanted a thinner, lighter MacBook. Plus if they don't do it now, their competitors will do it and take the crown.

We complained about non-replaceable batteries a long time ago but they were introduced to improve portability and the topic is now a distant memory.

Not to me it isn't.
It was bad enough being told by Apple that my macbook pro is now a "vintage Product" and they don't make batteries for it anymore and I should look for some third party one, without the additional expense of paying someone to take the case apart to fit it.

I now have a non portable portable that's only done 120 battery cycles but still can't use its battery.

Non upgradability totally sucks.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
With my setup, 1 port will be used up for power, a second to connect to hdmi dongle for a monitor. minimal net zero for most of my usage. Plus the need to buy more dongles to plug anything I own into it?

I don't know about this one. For the first time ever, I'm not planning on upgrading to iPhone 7, and I may see if my 2012 rMBP can last longer now...
or get the 2015 rMBP before they take it down and replace it with this thing. ;) USB-C is, indeed, too new.

Reactions: entropi

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I don't follow rumors like I used to. Have we seen a shell for 15 inch variant? Might Apple be combining the Air and Pro lines? Kind of off topic from the great port debate...

Gaura Mohana

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Gainesville, FL
Hate this. USB C is useless to me and I will NOT buy a computer without Magsafe.

This is coming from me - a person who loves the fact that the iPhone 7 doesn't have a headphone jack.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Hate this... I will NOT buy a computer without Magsafe.
Have fun with that abacus.

maxresdefault.jpg

jhudgins

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2016
Hate this. USB C is useless to me and I will NOT buy a computer without Magsafe.

This is coming from me - a person who loves the fact that the iPhone 7 doesn't have a headphone jack.
I can live without Mag Safe. I've been using an iPad Pro for a few months now (docked with the Smart Keyboard) and I haven't missed it at all. Why? Because the battery life is so good it gets me through an entire day. I think that's the direction Apple is going with the MacBook Pro; expect longer battery life. Also, the MacBooks are becoming so light that Mag Safe might actually not even be effective anymore. Apple should retain the headphone jack on the MPB, at least for now. Bluetooth isn't there yet and true professionals (audio/ video) still need that port. Personally I could live with Lightning.
[doublepost=1475325323][/doublepost]
Apples and oranges. Apple owns Lightning, and has committed to it, and if the rumor is true, a lot is riding on it with the removal of the headphone jack -- I say again, they are not going to force new iPhone users to use an adapter on their new Macs just to listen to music.

Apple is no doubt going full USB-C, as will many PC makers competing in the ultra-portable space. It is hands down the best technology ever for such a device, and I go all the way back to the PowerBook Duo days, when my laptop had one native serial port and needed a dock for everything else.

Apple loses nothing by dropping HDMI, VGA, Display Port, or Ethernet. They don't make any products that otherwise use those connections, and those who presently use Thunderbolt pale by comparison to the number of iPhone users who use headphones between their phones and Macs.

So Lightning would be added primarily as a convenience for Apple's own audio products. With the rumored MBP, it leaves all four USB-C ports free for peripherals, since it can be used to charge the MBP using the same Lightning cable that iPhone users are already going to be traveling with. USB-C cables won't be easy to come by for a couple of years if you forget yours at home. The rMB already has a dedicated 3.5mm jack that does nothing but pass analogue audio signals, so what difference does it make if Apple replaces it with a Lightning port, since that is going to be the new Apple audio connector for its most widely sold product? Not only does Lightning leave the USB-C port free when used as a charging port, but allows it to optionally be used as a data port should an rMB need to attach two peripherals. Add to that anyone who has a substantial investment in Lightning peripherals will be able to use them with the Lightning equipped MacBooks now -- something that also saves Apple money for low bandwidth adapters for which they only need manufacture one. It's win win for everyone.
I was on the fence about Apple adding Lightning to the MPB but you make some good points. I always assumed it would be charged via USB-C but Lightning would make more sense. Not only could it be used for audio and charging as you point out, but also the Apple Pencil if Apple makes it compatible with the trackpad.
[doublepost=1475325571][/doublepost]
Every office I know (dozens) is 'outdated'. Not one of them has a usb-c device and within a year I doubt that will have changed. I just recommended a new printer for one office I volunteer in. There was not even a usb-c option available for the line of business printers we chose from.

It's consumers and tech-fetishists who want such 'progress'. In every office I work in, they don't care about this stuff at all. What they have works and they will keep using it (and paying no attention to it) for years to come.
[doublepost=1466105582][/doublepost]

My 2015 15" MBP never comes close to all day battery life. I charge it three times a day. I always have dozens of safari tabs open, photo editor, design software, lightroom, ftp client, pages and audio editing software. I never ever go out without the charger. I constantly use the charger at cafes, offices, etc.

Magsafe is one of the best things ever made. The cord frequently gets tugged on when out. I would feel a constant stress if it didn't just pop out without harm. I'd say an average of 3 times per week someone steps on it, kicks it, or I do myself. Magsafe has saved so many repairs for me.

I consider it an essential safeguard
MacBooks are becoming so light though that Magsafe might not be effective anymore for the new MBP. Something to think about. And if Apple uses the same battery tech found in the new MacBook, we could see significant gains in battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.