Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Last week Macworld.com.au reported a new Apple product number on a large shipment to Australia and the speculation was that it was for an updated MBA.

A day or so later, a leak emerged from Vietnam showing a physical, updated white Macbook (rumored for this Tuesday) however there was mention of a different product number to the rumored MBA one.

Today, it seems that the white Macbook's product number DOES correlate with the Australian one, as report macworld.com.au citing the Vietnamese website. link

I personally find this good news as the longer the MBA update is delayed the more hopeful I am of a more major revision (hopefully WWDC).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Last week Macworld.com.au reported a new Apple product number on a large shipment to Australia and the speculation was that it was for an updated MBA.

A day or so later, a leak emerged from Vietnam showing a physical, updated white Macbook (rumored for this Tuesday) however there was mention of a different product number to the rumored MBA one.

Today, it seems that the white Macbook's product number DOES correlate with the Australian one, as report macworld.com.au citing the Vietnamese website. link

I personally find this good news as the longer the MBA update is delayed the more hopeful I am of a more major revision (hopefully WWDC).

I don't think it means we would get an MBA update at WWDC if this isn't the MBA's part number. Meaning, it could be the MBA's part number and still wait until WWDC, or it could not be the MBA's part number and the MBA could still be updated this Tuesday.

I honestly don't believe in the bigger updated happening at WWDC. I see that as being much further away in time... maybe four plus months. I cannot see Apple using a C2D and Nvidia 320m in an MBP five weeks before an MBA update with Ci7 and discrete GPU. Also, Jobs came out and said the C2D and Nvidia GPU combo offered the best experience to the users, so that would lead me to believe a discrete offering is later. SJ also said that the GMA HD graphics weren't good enough.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/18/macbook-refresh-gets-official/

Turns out it was indeed the White Macbook not the MBA

Guys, we're getting closer and closer to WWDC.... I'm personally really hoping for no MBA refresh before then...Also hoping for no EOL lol!

Did the leaked part number supposedly for the MBA last Monday turn out to be the actual part number of the new MacBook today?

It was really odd that they didn't pull down the Apple.com website. It seems they just changed some not all of the information about the MB while site was live. In addition, they did it at about 1am Pacific time. Usually the site goes down around 4am their time and it takes an hour or so to update. I am confused as to why it was changed without pulling down site? There are a lot of site discrepencies right now as they really haven't fully put all of the update information on Apple.com. Still see 7-hour battery info on MB in some areas and see 10-hour battery in other areas. Some of the text and images don't line up either, so I am confused as to why this was different than every other update I have seen?

Oh well, always hope for an update later? It is odd, and I would say anything no updated today will wait until WWDC for an update... that's if the MBA gets an update even at WWDC?

I really don't understand why the Mac mini wasn't updated today also? It just is weird. I mean the Mac mini is rumored to get the same component makeup as the 13" MBP and MB now released. I cannot imagine Apple updating anything else to the Mac mini? So there's no reason not to just update the Mac mini? This strikes me as being more odd than MBA not getting an update. Maybe Apple is just trying to spread the updates out to ensure continual cycles of new Macs to boost sales. The MB and 13" MBP are Apple's most popular and highest selling Macs, so it did make sense for the MB update today...

Oh yes, I am planning to buy a Mac mini OS X Server as soon as it's updated. I hoped it would be today too. I want the Nvidia 320m GPU for it now. I don't want to stick with the 9400m when the 320m is going to be 80% faster. Plus $999 is a complete bargain for a OS X Server Mac mini. I plan to put 8 GB of RAM in it and install an SSD as the main drive. I even ordered a new external BluRay to use with it. I would certainly like to put a new 33" ACD with it too! I have a grand vision for a new entertainment setup with it, so I sure hope we get a bunch of updates at WWDC.

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Something strange is going on. Since the Mac5 lineup is staying with the c2d/320m, I don't see why everything didn't get refreshed at the same time. This staggered approach must be to maintain buzz until WWDC...I wonder what the implications are??

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Jobs mentioned in relation to the lack to Mac design awards at WWDC, that the primary focus will be on the iPhone OS. So as of today, the wish list for WWDC naturally includes a 10.7 preview, new MBAs and new Mac Pros (even if the MBA was to get a silent update, its reasonable to assume that they would have done so at the same time as the macbook.)

since the "primary focus" is the iPhone and iPhone OS, its fair to assume that only one of that list will make the cut this June. 10.7 aint happening, so MBAs or Mac Pros?

One could argue that a brand new re-invented MBA could hold up an event on its own, and the Pro fits better with the "DC" part of this iPhone orgy. (I mean who wants to develop iPhone games on an MBA?) So perhaps the long wait for the MBA appreciation society will go on a few months longer?

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
I don't mind waiting as long as it's worth it. The not knowing what's going to happen is killing me though.

Duncanreally

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
I would certainly like to put a new 33" ACD with it too! I have a grand vision for a new entertainment setup with it, so I sure hope we get a bunch of updates at WWDC.

yes, yes, yes!

I have a 3.5 year old 30" ACD with a heavy old 15" MBP of the same vintage. I'm desperate to replace them (the old ACD would be relegated to home use, with the new 33" one for work). I'd love a new MBA and 33"ACD combo. Should do me for another 3 years.

Duncan

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Something strange is going on. Since the Mac5 lineup is staying with the c2d/320m, I don't see why everything didn't get refreshed at the same time. This staggered approach must be to maintain buzz until WWDC...I wonder what the implications are??

I don't think it's strange. The 13" MBP is Apple's number one selling Mac. Apple's number two selling Mac is the MacBook. Apple is running through production lines with MBPs first, then MBs, then maybe MBA or Mac mini. We also have a 21.5" iMac update potential.

This could just be Apple wanting to update a Mac notebook at WWDC and the MBA might see the biggest improvements even with C2D and Nvidia GPU. Or the MBA might be getting a complete redesign. Or the MBA might be completely overhauled under the hood so to speak. It could get Core i7 ULV or LV CPUs... although probably with Intel GMA HD for graphics.

I think it's just about keeping the most customers happy. Others noted that Apple has a history of updating in May for the students that are leaving school to get a new one for discount price. In addition, students start buying them now that will go to college in the Fall. Students get them as graduation presents... and etc. The WhiteBook is really big at universities and on the student's wish lists.

Don't worry as I believe the MBA will be updated as soon as Apple gets the MBPs and MBs out of the way and enough stockpile to focus on the MBA for awhile. I still wouldn't put it past Jobs one more thing if it's completely redesigned. Apple will probably start right up with the Mac Pro at WWDC. Then it will probably focus on iPhone OS 4. Then it will focus majority of time on iPhone HD. Then one more thing might be the MBA or even just ACDs. The MBA if fully redesigned could come much later in the year. In truth, if we're getting stuck with Intel's GMA HD we want to wait until Sandy Bridge when we get double the graphics capabilities to get us to approximately the October 2008 Nvidia 9400m graphics.

I really am sick of waiting though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.