Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barcafan89

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
England
hi everyone!
I'm the proud owner of an iPhone 6s Plus 64 and an Apple Watch and a Mac book pro.
I often find myself getting annoyed because my iPhone is dirt or my Apple Watch has a mark on it my mac book has a scuff on it from where I dropped a hdmi lead on it. These things really upset me inside and constantly upset me till I sell the device. I see people walking around town with iPhones not in cases and I'm like wow how do you do that???
How can I stop being so protective over my apple products and accept that they wear and tear after a while the other day a drop of rain landed on my phone and I wiped it off and It really annoyed me. How do I not care so much?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
hi everyone!
I'm the proud owner of an iPhone 6s Plus 64 and an Apple Watch and a Mac book pro.
I often find myself getting annoyed because my iPhone is dirt or my Apple Watch has a mark on it my mac book has a scuff on it from where I dropped a hdmi lead on it. These things really upset me inside and constantly upset me till I sell the device. I see people walking around town with iPhones not in cases and I'm like wow how do you do that???
How can I stop being so protective over my apple products and accept that they wear and tear after a while the other day a drop of rain landed on my phone and I wiped it off and It really annoyed me. How do I not care so much?
Realize that Apple devices are not as special as you believe others think they are.

It's a tool. A beautiful tool in many cases, but still a tool. And when a lot of people own the same kind of tool it's not as special as those who own it want to think it is.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You've already learn to accept it. You just don't like it and unlike some people you let it bother you more than you feel is normal.

Just keep in mind the only way to keep it perfect is to not use the device at all.

Consider buying used too. If there is already a nick or minor scratch cause by someone else then new ones won't bother you.

I've always had very nice cars and I kept them in showroom quality. My last vehicle I bought used, couple little dings and scratches, hardly noticeable. However driving it is a breath of fresh air, I can park up front next to a handicap spot and not care vs parking so far away I might as well have just walked from home.

Reactions: 5105973

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I put a thin TPU case and screen protector on my iPhone and don't worry about it. Has worked for 3+ years.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I use to be exactly like you OP. Now, I'm the complete opposite. ALL my devices are rocked naked. I use them, enjoy them, and then buy new ones. They're just material items that aren't rare/valuable etc. Stop spending so much time stressing the little stuff and enjoy the experience they provide you.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Same story.bought a new iPhone 5s and within couple of hours after the purchase i accidentally dropped it on the floor and it got big dent on the headphone jack corner and some dings on the edges.it really bothered me.after that i don't use my phone without a case and screen protector it's perfectly fine after a lot of abuse.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's hard to give actual advice because different people are effected by different things, well, differently.

I'm not sure if the therapist advice was sincere, but if you are truly stressing over this to the point that it is effecting every day life, perhaps that is something to look into.

As for me, I tend to worry about something until it gets a ding and then I virtually don't care anymore. That's not to say I treat it differently, but I don't stress about getting that first scratch. My iphone screen now has numerous incredibly small scratches that come from every day use that you only see in bright sunlight at an angle, but I stopped counting after I noticed the first one.

Consider that it sounds like you use these products, as you were meant to. They're not museum prices and they're dropping in value virtually by the day whether you use them or not (there may be some exceptions to sealed items many years down the road but we aren't talking about that).

There are also case options for various devices out there if that's your thing. Many years ago I used to apply the invisible shield to all of my electronics but I slowly just get away from that. My MacBook is naked and my phone has an otterbox (the thin one, forgot what it's called) since it does get handled by my two year old and occasionally dropped). Aside from that I live life full throttle. :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
hi everyone!

You just need something more important in your life than your Apple devices. One day you will find a girl and have kids and your iPhone will be used as a pacifier while you try to get some peace and quiet.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
hi everyone!
Well I used to baby my devices and would get annoyed if they got scratched and then I had baby and now I don't care about my gadgets anymore.

Reactions: Arran

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So there you have it OP.

The answer to your problems, you need to go out and seek professional help from a therapist. Than once you are cured you need to go and find a woman. Than have children.

Only then will you be ok with letting your 3000-3500 dollars worth of Apple devices get beat up and scratched.

Fact is its your nature, especially stemming from your upbringing. For example if you started with nothing and came from nothing you will be more protective of what you have vs someone that was given everything. Thats just because you know what its like to be without, and/or how hard you had to work to get what you have. Appreciate the value of the dollar, or over appreciate in your case.

Having a family like some suggest (lol) can be a distraction from your material devices but you'll put that same value on other things. Maybe an over protective husband or father, or something.

Or we all might be over thinking all this and you just don't like scratches your iPhone, who does? I'm surprised anyone wouldn't care at all.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
hi everyone!

Getting off of forums such as these would be a start.

Too often folks try to make something (E.g. a phone, alcohol, an ex, etc.) less significant in their lives. This often proves fruitless, as the first thing one thinks about when try not to think about a polka-dotted elephant is a polka-dotted elephant.

Instead of making a thing less significant, may I suggest trying to make your life more significant? Visit the elderly, volunteer at a soup kitchen, tutor underprivileged children, travel about on a volunteer vacation, etc.

I think you'll find that when you choose to focus your time and energy on something worthy, an "issue" of being too concerned about a phone will take care of itself.

< /.02 >

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
hi everyone!
I'm the proud owner of an iPhone 6s Plus 64 and an Apple Watch and a Mac book pro...
In the end, everything we use is going to lose its brand-new shine. If we use something, it's going to show signs of that use. Sure, we can take steps to prevent it - some may be simple (a bit of mindfulness goes a long way), others may be more trouble than they're worth (washing ones' hands or donning a clean pair of gloves before touching the touch screen or keyboard).

Most likely, we take that wear-and-tear for granted for most objects in our lives, but take greater care with those things we treasure most. I don't think there's anything wrong with treasuring your Apple gear. Sure, people can take these things to extremes, but I'll trust that the care you take in your gear is not messing up the rest of your life in a major way (if it is... well, others have already suggested a course of action).

I treat my gear with a fair amount of care, but I don't go out of my way, either. I expect some wear-and-tear - in the end, these are tools, and the use I get from the tool is more important than the superficial condition of the tool. I'll risk a bit of damage to my camera gear in an attempt to get a great photo. It's more important that the functioning of the tool is maintained in good working order.

The posts about relationships and child-rearing make a good point, but it's still possible to treasure a human relationship and treasure physical objects at the same time. The problems come when those physical objects are placed above the human relationships (and sometimes, when the human relationships are placed far above the physical objects - if you care for the children you raise, shouldn't you take reasonable care of the home in which you raise them?). It's a question of balance, as in all things.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Realize that Apple devices are not as special as you believe others think they are.

It's a tool. A beautiful tool in many cases, but still a tool. And when a lot of people own the same kind of tool it's not as special as those who own it want to think it is.

It's not Apple that's special, it's the money spent that is ;)

You just need something more important in your life than your Apple devices. One day you will find a girl and have kids and your iPhone will be used as a pacifier while you try to get some peace and quiet.

Indeed :)

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure what to tell you, try to stop caring that much I guess.
I don't use cases at all, my 6 Plus has dents and scratches and I could care less.
It has fallen like 20 times at least.

Only my iPad has a smart cover (not case) and that's more so I can have it stand then protection.

Reactions: M. Gustave

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Op:

Once there was a young buy who saved all his money to buy a pair of running shoes. Not just any running shoes, but 'the' running shoes. And when he got them he was extremely happy! However, before he put them on, he thought to himself "If I put on my new shoes, then they will get dirty. Maybe scuffed. Who knows what will happen!" He decided to keep wearing his older scuffed up, stretched out sneakers. They were a size too large, but at least if he wore them his new sneakers would be safe.

So he decided to keep his shoes in his room. He didn't put them on either because then the laces might knot, or they still might just get marked up from walking around in his house or room.

He loved these shoes. Every day at least once he would take them out, look at them and see how beautiful they are. He would imagine putting them on and going to school to show his friends. They would be impressed! After all, these shoes were very expensive, and he saved up the money all by himself from his paper route. He thought of joining a track club and could just see himself sprinting to the finish in his new shoes.

His love for these shoes never wavered. One month, two months, three months and more. They were in 'mint' shape. He was so proud! What great care he was taking of them! One day. One day he decided he was going to wear his new shoes. It was an agonizing decision. It would be worth it he said. Wait until everyone sees me in these!

He pulled them out from under his bed, and they still had that new smell! He pulled them out of the box. He made sure he had his cleanest socks on, wouldn't want to stink these up! He bent over and slid on the left shoe.... But.... It didn't fit! The shoe was too small! Panicked he tried the other shoe, and it too would almost go all the way on his feet but it wouldn't go all the way! He panicked! Had he bought the wrong size? Were the sicks too thick?

No. The fact was that instead of using these shoes that he loved, he didn't - and his feet had grown a couple inches during his growth spurt. He didn't care now that they looked perfect, he couldn't use them!

He always regretted not using those shoes. Just enjoying them for what they were and

Ahhh I'm late for a meeting - anyways you get the point. It's ok to want to keep anything you own mint. A phone, a car, your jeans. But use them....

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I have a small scar on my left hand. I got it back in High School. The details aren't particularly interesting; suffice it to say that I was horsing around with a friend, and got a fairly deep cut. Nothing serious, but enough to leave a permanent scar.

My friend died a year later, hit by a drunk driver. Every time I look at that scar, I am reminded of my friend.

The little dents and dings your phone has accumulated may not bring up any specific memories for you, but they're the equivalent of scars. They're history. They're evidence your phone has been used, just like scars are evidence you've lived. Those little blemishes are how you know that phone is your phone.

You'll be a lot happier if you learn to love the little bits of character your phone has accumulated over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.