Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
You make it sound like a good clone of the Leather Loop is a unicorn. It's not. There are good ones and bad ones out there. The problem is, ordering online, you can't tell which ones are good without someone else (preferably many people) having tried first. (And, of course, you can't ask the seller, "is this one good", because they'll all say yes.) And there's no guarantee that the seller who had good ones this week will have ones from the same production run (or factory) next week.

I have two real Apple Leather Loops, one black and one blue. The black I ordered from Apple when I preordered my watch. The blue I purchased in an Apple Store (just before all the new colors came out). I also have a red leather loop that I bought from freedomoclock09 on eBay, in mid-July, for $48. I've compared them extensively. This knockoff is about 90% as good as the genuine Apple ones, at one-third the price (I got it partly out of curiosity - others were reporting good luck with freedomoclock then - and partly because I wanted red and Apple doesn't make one yet). The grain of the leather is a bit more pronounced, but the two Apple ones actually vary considerably (black from very early on, has rather faint grain, while the blue has more pronounced grain). Curiously, on the red one, the "buckle end" is almost exactly 10mm longer. The leather feels very nice, the flexibility and magnets are indistinguishable from Apple's. I've worn all three extensively, and there is no difference in feel, nor any apparent difference in durability.

Given this, and the reports I was reading from others at the time, I'd say that there are more good knockoff Leather Loops than you might think, it's just very hard to tell good from bad without holding one (or reading reports from someone who has). Actually, I have an odd feeling that Leather Loops are a bit played out in the Chinese factories - last I looked, there were a lot more posts for knockoff Milanese Loops than for Leather Loops (kind of like the factories have moved on). And I got a quite nice black Milanese Loop from Amazon a few weeks ago, for $28. (If Apple ever makes one, I'll definitely buy it - the knockoff black ML is perhaps 75-80% of what Apple would do, quality-wise, but for day to day wear, it's good - I'd prefer Apple quality, but silver mesh on a black watch doesn't do it for me).

View attachment 606873

this makes me excited for my black milanese 38mm arriving today from same reseller, freedomoclock

my battery_sky leather loop isnt perfect, but I like that the loop isn't that long for my skinny wrist, and for $25 or so, I think it's something I'll keep.

But I dunno.

Also not seeing the leather loop on freedomoclock's eBay store anymore

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
so after reading a lot of these posts - it sounds like there aren't any amazing knockoffs out there yet.

I have 1 'kockoff' stainless steel band I got on amazon from "iVapo" and it is pretty crappy. It looks nice but isn't very comfortable and the metal rubs off on any surface I use.

I want another band, either the leather loop or milanese, but can't decide if I should just saddle up the cash for the apple one.

I don't think I want the milanese loop anyway, as I have a metal band PLUS I heard the milanese really gets stuck in your arm hair (I'm a pretty hairy dude).

The leather loop seems perfect, but I am a little OCD and things like the band not connecting 100% will drive me crazy. My fake SS metal band doesn't fit all the way and I can continuously "click" it in from the top connector.

Reactions: myrtlebee

jess222

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
CA
image.jpeg
Just got my black loop from Amazon, so far so good :)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
I had a third party bright blue leather loop. It looked good at first, but the color wore off after two months. Ended up paying the "Apple Tax" for an OEM. Much better quality.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

jess222

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
CA
I admit I am very much a perfectionist. Wish I could just not care.
I understand, we all have certain things that drive us crazy :)
The gaps are kinda off putting but I paid $14 for it so I guess that keeps me from nit picking it lol

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I admit i'd given up on the 3rd party leather loops for my SG sport 42 and went back to the sport band and my knock off black milanese for smarter occasions (that one has lasted really well and a good buy!) I've had 3 leather loops, the first was way too thin and the magnets were not strong at all, so bye bye went the strap. It's replacement a black leatherloop knock off lasted 2 weeks before delaminating at the end and exposing the magnets - see ya, then my next replacement lasted a month until it started to peel around the lug end. So i resigned myself to my sport band, until yesterday - in the initial hype some stores who sell second hand electrical items were paying over the odds prices for apple watch items including straps, and trying to sell them at a bigger markup, well tha\t demand has now dwindled and for the handsome sum of £35 i am a proud owner of a mint condition (still sealed in the box) genuine apple blue leather loop. So maybe worth looking around. I'm going to get myself some more different colours now :D

Reactions: AlliFlowers

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I admit i'd given up on the 3rd party leather loops for my SG sport 42 and went back to the sport band and my knock off black milanese for smarter occasions (that one has lasted really well and a good buy!) I've had 3 leather loops, the first was way too thin and the magnets were not strong at all, so bye bye went the strap. It's replacement a black leatherloop knock off lasted 2 weeks before delaminating at the end and exposing the magnets - see ya, then my next replacement lasted a month until it started to peel around the lug end. So i resigned myself to my sport band, until yesterday - in the initial hype some stores who sell second hand electrical items were paying over the odds prices for apple watch items including straps, and trying to sell them at a bigger markup, well tha\t demand has now dwindled and for the handsome sum of £35 i am a proud owner of a mint condition (still sealed in the box) genuine apple blue leather loop. So maybe worth looking around. I'm going to get myself some more different colours now :D

I gave up also on my 3rd party search for the leather loop.

Ended up getting the genuine one from our Apple store instead. I'm very happy with it's fit and look (but not the price).

I'm lucky that I have this option with having a 42mm watch, wish that Apple would offer the 38mm owners the same option.

i-pDmq82s-M.jpg

Braddrum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
UK

Do you mind sharing which one?

sean3

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2015
de_dust2
I can indeed confirm this is true. Which is why the Milanese loop was not an option for me.
I want another band, either the leather loop or milanese, but can't decide if I should just saddle up the cash for the apple one.

I don't think I want the milanese loop anyway, as I have a metal band PLUS I heard the milanese really gets stuck in your arm hair (I'm a pretty hairy dude).

The leather loop seems perfect, but I am a little OCD and things like the band not connecting 100% will drive me crazy. My fake SS metal band doesn't fit all the way and I can continuously "click" it in from the top connector.

I too am a "pretty hairy dude." I also own both the Leather Loop, and Milanese band. Both from Apple. The Leather Loop is my favorite, by far. I'll warn you now, you won't find a good knockoff. You can see all the pics people post on here, all you want. At the end of the day, half of those pics are vastly different a month later. The color becomes washed/faded, the trim becomes undone exposing the metal, and doesn't hold a tight enough lock on the magnets, etc. If you want the Leather Loop, open your wallet to Apple. I'm not too sure about the Milanese, but I do have Apple's own. And as I said, I also sport hair in the wrist watch region. However, it does not tug as much as you'd think. It definitely does! However, if you aren't crazy active, moving a crazy amount, you will probably never have an issue. Say I go to a meeting, interview, dress up event, I'll wear the Milanese. Otherwise I'm always wearing the Leather Loop(unless I'm at the gym, then I'm using a sport band). The Leather Loop fits snug enough for most activities outside the gym.

Reactions: geekon2wheels

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
I too am a "pretty hairy dude." I also own both the Leather Loop, and Milanese band. Both from Apple. The Leather Loop is my favorite, by far. I'll warn you now, you won't find a good knockoff. You can see all the pics people post on here, all you want. At the end of the day, half of those pics are vastly different a month later. The color becomes washed/faded, the trim becomes undone exposing the metal, and doesn't hold a tight enough lock on the magnets, etc. If you want the Leather Loop, open your wallet to Apple. I'm not too sure about the Milanese, but I do have Apple's own. And as I said, I also sport hair in the wrist watch region. However, it does not tug as much as you'd think. It definitely does! However, if you aren't crazy active, moving a crazy amount, you will probably never have an issue. Say I go to a meeting, interview, dress up event, I'll wear the Milanese. Otherwise I'm always wearing the Leather Loop(unless I'm at the gym, then I'm using a sport band). The Leather Loop fits snug enough for most activities outside the gym.

Thanks man. I was searching around on craigslist, etc. and almost had a used one for $75 but the sale never went down because he refused to meet me in public (yeah right, last time I met outside of someones apartment, they stole my iPhone 5 from me and I had to chase the ************ down through downtown and tackle his ass -- still the most badass thing I've done in my whole life)

So... time to saddle up the ca$h. blah!

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
Trying to decide on where to grab one from. I was initially looking at lnkoo, but he seems like a gamble. Saw some comments about Freedomclock09, but he isn't selling them in his storefront right now.

Any suggestions?

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
I ended up getting 2 from lnkoo. Black and midnight blue - The black looks good with no metal showing and strong magnet and the blue shows the metal and has a weaker magnet but still holds well. But for $27 for both of them I'm not complaining.

bmwellsokstate

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Oklahoma
yeah, I was the original person to recommend lnkoo on this thread last summer. I admittedly don't wear it THAT much because i purchased a genuine link bracelet, but I still do love the band. I bought the blue as well. It took a little bit to get, but worth the price!

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
Ordered the lnkoo blue loop. I think it's finally getting delivered tomorrow. Only saying finally because he's apparently lying about his location (I'm about 20 miles from where he says he is), and the delivery date on the tracking has changed 3 times. Has been about a week, so it's not too bad, just dishonest.

jess222

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
CA
Is the quality on this sellers band still seeming to hold up?
I've read their Amazon reviews, someone said about this time it started to fall apart, another said they felt like it has weak magnets.

Just wondering your take on it after owning it for a little while.
Thanks
Brad
Honestly I haven't put it in the rotation much, I like the Milanese loops much better and I just got a rose gold one that I've been wearing most of the time. I've used the leather loop a couple times and it's held but definitely not enough to test it durability, sorry. As far as the magnets go they are not weak at all and hold the band in place well :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.