Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I just got my leather loop in the mail yesterday, and after 1 day of using it I want to return it. My BSB had a good feel to it, but I was hoping for something a little more dressy.

Before I do return, does anyone else find their band creaking everytime you move your wrist - it almost feels like a phantom haptic feedback? Just want to make sure I don't have a bad band or if everyone's does this. Thanks!

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I just got my leather loop in the mail yesterday, and after 1 day of using it I want to return it. My BSB had a good feel to it, but I was hoping for something a little more dressy.

Before I do return, does anyone else find their band creaking everytime you move your wrist - it almost feels like a phantom haptic feedback? Just want to make sure I don't have a bad band or if everyone's does this. Thanks!

Lots of people have complained about this, and clicking noises. Many have said that if you reverse the order in which the pieces are attached to the watch it improves.

bulbousnub

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014

Pretty sure it's normal. If you're looking to return it, though, maybe you'd consider selling it if it's a Blue loop in medium? :p ;)

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007

I sold mine on eBay for these very reasons...and I made a nice profit as well.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Just got my 42mm SS Black LL today and I can hear what you're talking about but I really have to listen for it. And, it doesn't make a creaking sound every time I move my wrist. I guess we'll see as I continue to wear it but it's been pretty solid on day 1.

n8huckins

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
My SS w/ Link 42mm AW is sitting inside my house, hundreds of miles away from me.

During some free time in Chicago today, I did an impromptu try on at the Michigan Ave store. I tried on the brown leather loop among others things, and I thought the quality of the materials and the feel were both very good. It was soft, felt great, and was comfortable. As far as the creaking etc goes, I can't comment, but I felt that the quality was very nice.

Excited to get home this weekend and try out my Link watch.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
I have to agree. I think mine is going back. I find it surprising that Apple is not aware of the issue. The bands creates what we used to refer to a BBB's. Bogus Blackberry Buzzes. Back when you would feel the buzz and its not really there.

My other complaint is I expected a high end feel. Honestly if could be a great faux leather as it lacks the resilience of real leather... IMHO

n8huckins

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
I have to agree. I think mine is going back. I find it surprising that Apple is not aware of the issue. The bands creates what we used to refer to a BBB's. Bogus Blackberry Buzzes. Back when you would feel the buzz and its not really there.

My other complaint is I expected a high end feel. Honestly if could be a great faux leather as it lacks the resilience of real leather... IMHO

What color and size? Maybe I'm a buyer!

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
i'll buy a black leather loop large if you're selling one. bonus if you're in vancouver.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
Update for those of you who are thinking of swapping.

I sold my LL for a hefty profit on eBay and got a 42mm classic leather buckle. I couldn't be happier - the leather breaks in after a day or two of use and looks really superb with the lug and buckle on the bottom side of your wrist. Highly recommend it for those of you on the fence!

RobertNYC

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
NYC

I have it in brown and blue and I really like them. They are comfortable and look great. I am thinking of ordering them in black and stone, that way no matter what I wear I will be covered. They are both casual but dressy enough for business casual.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I noticed that the Leather Loop band did not feel soft when it first came out and almost had a plastic feel to it. That is what I noticed during my try-on appt back in mid-April. However, yesterday, I went back to the Apple Store to make sure that a medium Leather Loop was the right size for me and I noticed that the Leather Loop was softer and had a much better feel to it. That is what I suspected might happen -- it softens up after being handled and used for awhile.

Just thought I would point this out in case it helps others with their decision.

Glene

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ft Lauderdale
I have three of the leather loops, the tan, the blue, and the black, and find them all to be high-quality. None of them make any noise once I learned to slightly loosen the band by one notch and not tighten so much. I agree that once you wear them for a couple days they soften up a bit. They are my favorite bands. For now I'll forgo the link.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Just got my stone leather loop a few hours ago. I have already found it to be very comfortable, but it has to be the right tightness. If it is too snug, it can become a tad uncomfortable. I feel that given it's design and with the right tightness, it is a very comfortable band and feels fantastic. This will easily become my go to band. I have been eyeballing the link bracelet, but I think I will stick with my LL for a while now. Haven't really noticed any creakiness either. We'll see in a few days...

Adapsys

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Just received my black leather loop today. Feels very plastic and the clicking is driving me crazy. I keep thinking its a haptic alert. Can't believe Apple didn't notice this.

For £130 it's going back. I am tempted to give it the benefit of the doubt and try it for a week but I'm worried Apple won't accept it back if its worn too much.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Got my leather loop and returned it the next day. Quality/feel is ok but the clicking was driving me crazy as well. Went back to my sport band :)

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
You must be putting it on too tight if you are feeling the clicking. I have mine snug but not tight and I don't even notice it...

I also rubbed on 2 light coatings of vaseline, let sit 10 mins and wiped off. To condition the leather.

Reactions: CarlJ

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
Purchased the black LL in my local Apple store on Tuesday. Found it to be quite stiff for the first couple of days but it's easing up now. Don't understand it being referred to as "quilted" as there doesn't seem to be any padding in the links.

Found a post on here earlier with a good tip but can't find it again, so sorry for not giving credit where it's due. If you're prepared to try it you can rub a coating of vaseline into the band and leave for 10 minutes to absorb a little then clean off. This worked for me the clicking has reduced dramatically and the band feels much more supple. Hoping this will also avoid cracking in the leather as it's moisturising the leather.

One thing to note is that it's an expensive band and I highly doubt Apple would endorse doing this, so you may be doing this at your own risk.

Another thing I noticed was the careful wording used by Apple in the description of the band. Although the leather is hand made in Italy it is shipped to China for assembly. If you look at the packaging it shows assembled in China on the barcode able and shows the same on the long end of the loop.

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
I have the medium brown, bright blue and black loop and the only one that clinks in the black one. Odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.