Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
My old, heavily added to, Beige G3 is playing up and my Dual G5 hasn't arrived yet. When I turn it on from cold I get the 'dong' noise but then the machine just sits there unless I bang and crash it down onto my desk hard quite a lot!! Once it's running it seems OK. I thought it was the hard drive, which isn't old, sticking somehow but when I held down option to start in OS9 instead of OSX ( OS( is on a different drive) I got the same thing briefly so I suppose something might be making a bad contact somewhere on the board. I really don't want to go inside until my G5 arrives in case I make things worse. My question is - is it perfectly OK to leave my machine on all the time - just set it to sleep overnight?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
It won't hurt it to let it stay on all the time. It's better for it than slamming it on a desk. A lot of people don't turn their computers off or reboot unless they crash or install software that requires it.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Thanks guys. I put it to sleep last night and this morning it had locked up during the night. Didn't bang it (much) and I think I might have tracked the fault down to the Sonnet G4 upgrade card. I'll see if my dealer can test it for me. I've put the old G3 300 back and things seem OK.

God OSX is Sooooo Sloooooowwwwww

Where's my G5 ??

Originally posted by colinet
Thanks guys. I put it to sleep last night and this morning it had locked up during the night. Didn't bang it (much) and I think I might have tracked the fault down to the Sonnet G4 upgrade card. I'll see if my dealer can test it for me. I've put the old G3 300 back and things seem OK.

God OSX is Sooooo Sloooooowwwwww

Where's my G5 ??

I've had sleep/lockup problems before and have had people say that it's related to my USB PCI card. I stopped them by no longer putting the machine to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.