Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Hi all

is anyone using a LED desk lamp? I am after one with a small footprint for my desk, anything under £20 would be ideal?

Cheers

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Little expensive but the gets desk lamp I have:
TaoTronics® Elune TT-DL02 (Piano White) Versatile Natural Light LED Desk Lamp (4 Lighting Modes: Reading Studying Relaxation & Bedtime, 5 dimmable Level / Touch Sensitive Control Panel / 1 Hour Off Timer / 5V/1A USB Charging Port)
http://amzn.com/B00APAQT4Q

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Little expensive but the gets desk lamp I have:
TaoTronics® Elune TT-DL02 (Piano White) Versatile Natural Light LED Desk Lamp (4 Lighting Modes: Reading Studying Relaxation & Bedtime, 5 dimmable Level / Touch Sensitive Control Panel / 1 Hour Off Timer / 5V/1A USB Charging Port)
http://amzn.com/B00APAQT4Q

Thanks mate, I was reading about this one also when I posted that I was after a lamp. Is this one any good? I have ordered another one, well won it off ebay which is similar to the Newertech one so will see how I get on and report back if anyone else is interested other wise I think I will go for the Newertech as I love the polished finish.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
LED desk lamp?

Thanks mate, I was reading about this one also when I posted that I was after a lamp. Is this one any good? I have ordered another one, well won it off ebay which is similar to the Newertech one so will see how I get on and report back if anyone else is interested other wise I think I will go for the Newertech as I love the polished finish.

I have it and love it. 2 color tones and brightness settings. Also has 4 settings of lighting.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Don't bother if you can't spend the money on a good one. LED's are great, but are really hard on your eyes for long times as a desk lamp. The multi-tone ones are far better on your eyes but are not cheap.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I don't wish to hijack your thread, but since a new one might be considered too redundant… could anyone suggest a good LED wall light? The fixture in my bathroom is broken and needs to be replaced.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good lamps are works of art, and, - as with other such products - you can have a wonderful fusion of form and function, in that it is possible to have a desk lamp that both looks good and casts an appropriate - and adjustable - light.

I have always been partial to those old style 'library' lamps as desk lamps, as I think they look stylish, tend to be beautifully made, but are yet capable of directing light where it is required.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
LED- one of those milestone technological break throughs, especially for super yachts! (Where I found this link, but still good info.) I still have a CFL bulb for my desk lamp. Also see this link: Green America: LED The Future Of Lighting.

What makes LEDs better than bulbs?
Lifespan

One of the biggest differences between LEDs and halogen light bulbs is their lifespan. LEDs can last up to 80,000 hours. Halogen light bulbs only last between 2,000 and 6,000 hours. Halogen bulbs also suffer what is termed as ‘catastrophic; failure, which essentially means they work until they don’t! And when the die they pop! LEDs on the other hand very slowly loose their light output, so even at 80,000 hours there will still be another 80,000 hours of light but just at a lower level. LED life spans are usually referenced as the L70% life. As the human eye can only detect light loss above 30%, LEDs are rated to this level; there is still plenty of light left but at ever diminishing level.

How they work and their efficiency
Electricity is used to heat up tungsten filaments in halogen light bulbs. When these tungsten filaments are heated up, light is produced. LED lights produce light by running an arc of electrical current between two electrodes. The method of generating light from an LED fitting is much more efficient than a Halogen bulb, only around 10% of the energy that goes in to a Halogen bulb is actually converted to light, the rest is given off as heat, the efficiencies with LED light fittings can be as high as 80%.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
We've replaced almost all the lighting in our house with LED bulbs, save a few decorative lights that aren't turned on very often in the first place. I love LED lights :)

I have an LED desk-lamp that is capable of switching between different "temperatures" of light. This is nice because I can have it on a "cold" setting that will keep me alert while reading, but I can switch it to "warm" before bed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.