Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vinniefish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I plan on getting MobileMe, I am going to wait until Monday though because I have a plan that apple may announce free mobile me in order to better compete with google. I'm glad that apple has a somewhat worthy competitor in google since that will drive innovation.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Great news Viinie! Glad to see you got a replacement! It does suck however, that that person posted here that they found yours! And one actually found humor in that? Just amazing how fast peoples morals are declining! Anyways very glad that your back in business. ;)

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
Vinnie, I'm really glad things worked out... I'd send a Tweet to @UnitedAirlines and @Continental, combined to be the new United Airlines, expressing your disappointment. Perhaps, @AAirwaves (American Airlines) is the better airline to fly, based on Leigh McMullan's experience when he forgot his iPad: http://www.cultofmac.com/thank-you-bo-hume-of-american-airlines/40835. The customer service agent immediately called him and told him to return curbside, so that he could hand him his iPad. It was an incredible story...

As an aside, what is your deductible on your insurance, and who is your provider? I haven't inquired with my insurance company yet, but I'm also looking into SafeWare coverage.

tracymac

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Ok, I have an update, the insurance company and police sided with me on the iPad being stolen because I made many efforts such as calling the baggage resolution line religiously and sending many emails to the device, the insurance company cut me a check and I now have a new iPad.

Does that mean I can keep the one I found and not feel guilty about it?:)

Vinniefish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Hi, I wanted to give an update, I started researching information on how to recover stolen devices after the lose of my iPad. I came across this really awesome program for both Macs and iProducts called Undercover, it does the same thing for your iproducts as mobileme's findmyiphone feature plus it lets you send push notifications to the device in order to get it recovered. For the Mac side it takes screenshots of the screen, uses wifi triangulation to locate the device and takes pictures of the thief via the iSight camera, it is so awesome and I have since installed it on all of my macs. Really nifty program I wanted to share with you guys!

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Hi, I wanted to give an update, I started researching information on how to recover stolen devices after the lose of my iPad. I came across this really awesome program for both Macs and iProducts called Undercover, it does the same thing for your iproducts as mobileme's findmyiphone feature plus it lets you send push notifications to the device in order to get it recovered. For the Mac side it takes screenshots of the screen, uses wifi triangulation to locate the device and takes pictures of the thief via the iSight camera, it is so awesome and I have since installed it on all of my macs. Really nifty program I wanted to share with you guys!

wow, if I was a sceptic I'd almost think you were the developer and this was an elaborate scheme to drive traffic to your program... But this looks awesome!

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
wow, if I was a sceptic I'd almost think you were the developer and this was an elaborate scheme to drive traffic to your program... But this looks awesome!

Unfortunately, if you password protect your iPad it's useless.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006

From the itunes review:

"Limited usefulness

by skyfein
I've tested the app several times. The only way to track your phone is for the thief (or the finder of the phone) to launch the app. That's right, folks. The thief would need to launch the app for the phone to be tracked. "

Vinniefish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Once you set it up you can send a push notification to the iPad and when the thief unlocks the iPhone it will launch the app and open whatever URL you specify in the notification. So you basically trick the thief into launching the app.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Dude seriously like you've never made a mistake?

I made a mistake once. That was the one time I thought that I was wrong.

Seriously, a mistake is spelling read, reed. Being irresponsible and making an egregious error is leaving your $600 slab of metal and glass behind as you leave a jet plane and don't even have the minimal amount of common sense to turn on the "Find Me" function of MobileMe when you are paying $99 a year for it!

That isn't a mistake. It's MISTAKES. His life has systemic errors.

Vinniefish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I made a mistake once. That was the one time I thought that I was wrong.

Seriously, a mistake is spelling read, reed. Being irresponsible and making an egregious error is leaving your $600 slab of metal and glass behind as you leave a jet plane and don't even have the minimal amount of common sense to turn on the "Find Me" function of MobileMe when you are paying $99 a year for it!

That isn't a mistake. It's MISTAKES. His life has systemic errors.

First of all I don't have MobileMe because I find it a rip off since I can duplicate most of the functions with google services and the $99 dollars a year is better spent on renters insurance which did cover my iPad, I was able to buy another one with the money from the claim. Also if you have ever traveled you know how out of your element you are, it is easy to misplace things while under the duress of traveling.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Once you set it up you can send a push notification to the iPad and when the thief unlocks the iPhone it will launch the app and open whatever URL you specify in the notification. So you basically trick the thief into launching the app.

But they can still decline to open the app, right? Doesn't sound like a guaranteed solution.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
First of all I don't have MobileMe because I find it a rip off since I can duplicate most of the functions with google services and the $99 dollars a year is better spent on renters insurance which did cover my iPad, I was able to buy another one with the money from the claim. Also if you have ever traveled you know how out of your element you are, it is easy to misplace things while under the duress of traveling.

It wasn't stolen from your apartment, how did renters insurance cover it unless you filed a fraudulent claim?

And an airplane constitutes duress?!! What a weenie.

Vinniefish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
It wasn't stolen from your apartment, how did renters insurance cover it unless you filed a fraudulent claim?

And an airplane constitutes duress?!! What a weenie.

My renters insurance covers my personal property no matter where it is at, for instance, if someone steals my collection of CDs out of my car the insurance will cover it. In this case, if someone finds an item and doesn't turn it into the police or something like lost and found and keep it for their own then they have effectively stolen it, which seems to be what happened in the case of my ipad, with both the police and insurance company agreeing on that.

And flying sucks, it is totally uncomfortable, it is by far the worst part of traveling so duress seems to be an accurate word to describe it.

imissmyipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
left my ipad on a flight as well :(

I came back home last night and realized I left my ipad on my Virgin America flight. I called and left a VM at the Seattle Virgin America baggage claim counter and went back to the airport, but the check-in counter and the baggage claim counter were already closed. I finally got a call back saying they just heard my VM, and the flight had already left for LA. So I called the LA counter and was told they'd check when the flight landed. They didn't call back, so I called again and was told they didn't find it. They said they do a thorough clean up in the morning so to call then. Well I did, and they didn't find it in the morning either :(

I doubt my renter's insurance will cover it. I bought it with my Amex card less than 90 days ago that has "purchase protection" but it doesn't look like that covers items lost or misplaced. I'll have to see if the corporate Amex card that I used to purchase the ticket with will cover the loss.

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama
I came back home last night and realized I left my ipad on my Virgin America flight. I called and left a VM at the Seattle Virgin America baggage claim counter and went back to the airport, but the check-in counter and the baggage claim counter were already closed. I finally got a call back saying they just heard my VM, and the flight had already left for LA. So I called the LA counter and was told they'd check when the flight landed. They didn't call back, so I called again and was told they didn't find it. They said they do a thorough clean up in the morning so to call then. Well I did, and they didn't find it in the morning either :(

I doubt my renter's insurance will cover it. I bought it with my Amex card less than 90 days ago that has "purchase protection" but it doesn't look like that covers items lost or misplaced. I'll have to see if the corporate Amex card that I used to purchase the ticket with will cover the loss.

Will it not cover it if it is stolen. Just go a police report that it was stolen. Then file a claim with the CC Company. Right?

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuu-
Damn, when I fly, my iPad is the first thing back in my bag, it seems too big to forget about, but maybe thats just me.
Sorry about your nightmare:( hopefully your insurance will do something.

imissmyipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the response guys..I thought since I left it on the flight, I cannot claim it was stolen. I guess I'll try filing a police report that it was stolen..I've never done that before, hope it all works out. I will keep you guys updated.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
I am creating this post in case anyone found my ipad.

I left it in the seatback pocket on Continental flight 337 from Charlotte to Newark. The serial number is GB012AUUZ39. I know this is a shot in the dark but Continental's lost and found baggage resolution is a joke.

damn, that's rough.

well, it is just a thing...and things are replaceable. Try not to beat yourself up over it too much.

imissmyipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Got my ipad back!

I was at the police station about to file a report, when I got a call from the baggage claim counter in Seattle telling me they had the iPad! They said the person who was there last night had not communicated with the people at the gate. Anyway, I was just glad I got it back, so didn't ask her for more details.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
New York
I left $100 wireless earphones on the plane, and realized it once settled on my connecting flight. But I RAN back to get them in time *whew*

It's easy on a plane, in a taxi, etc. where you get a bit comfortable, and then you're at your destination feeling kind of rushed to get up/out. I can imagine the OP's iPad being in the front seat pocket and getting left that way.

Now, I make sure to take my time and put everything away, especially in taxis. The only rush to get up and go is in our heads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.