Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RKnight

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2007
I am using version 0.8 and I get that error when I try to boot windows from my external hard drive on a 15" MacBook Pro core 2 duo

Firmware Version:
MBP22.00A5.B01 1.12f5

I'm having the same problem on the same version of the MBP C2D. I've come so far with this and rEfit is an incredible little app, shame we are all stuck at the Legacy Boot problem... I would assume that its a matter of updating rEFit to be able to handle the MBP C2D newer firmware.... Lets cross our collective fingers and maybe one will appear ;)

sotl

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
Is this the official rEFIt forum? I cant find a link on their site.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work on the new macbook pros? :(

RKnight

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2007
Is this the official rEFIt forum? I cant find a link on their site.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work on the new macbook pros? :(

No, they do not have a forum. And as I had said in my own recent post what I think is that is has to do with rEFIt not being up to date to handle the MBP C2D firmware.... until its updated, I think we are stuck.... :(

sotl

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
refit works great on my MBP C2D and bootcamp.

just re-read your post and rEFIt works fine with bootcamp in my case as well. It's booting windows off an external hard drive where rEFIt prompts me to check the firmware. It was a problem with older MBP's until 0.8 came out which probably doesn't account for my firmware according to what the website suggests upgrading to. They're older than what I have.

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
Oh ok. I haven't tried booting an OS from an external HD. I have however booted Edrive from a USB HD and that showed up in rEFIt ok.

just re-read your post and rEFIt works fine with bootcamp in my case as well. It's booting windows off an external hard drive where rEFIt prompts me to check the firmware. It was a problem with older MBP's until 0.8 came out which probably doesn't account for my firmware according to what the website suggests upgrading to. They're older than what I have.

sotl

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
I split my HD in half and am running WinXP through bootcamp. I'm running low on diskspace on both sides and am going to install WinXP on my external HD again.

I noticed rEFIt 0.9 is out now so I'm wondering if they added support for newer MBP C2Ds yet. Have you retried since then RKnight?

RKnight

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2007
I split my HD in half and am running WinXP through bootcamp. I'm running low on diskspace on both sides and am going to install WinXP on my external HD again.

I noticed rEFIt 0.9 is out now so I'm wondering if they added support for newer MBP C2Ds yet. Have you retried since then RKnight?

Yeah, I gave it a shot. No go. Similar promblem as before, but the error message is a little more specific. I don't remember what it says now, but at anyrate still doesn't work. Obviously there is something with the way MBP C2D handles its USB. I corresponded with crisp (rEFIt's creator) and unforntunetly there is nothing that he can do. Its with the firmware itself. It was cool of him to look into it though, I know I appreciated it.

Oh well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.