Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Just got this in an email. I don't know where or how someone got my email address. Possibly someone off this site?

LEGAL NOTICE
If you purchased a replacement power adapter for certain Apple PowerBook or iBook computers, you could be entitled to benefits from a class action settlement.
A settlement of a class action lawsuit affects you if you purchased an Apple PowerBook or iBook computer listed on Exhibit 1 hereto ("Subject Computer") and subsequently purchased a Replacement Adapter for the Subject Computer due to failure of the Adapter included with or sold for the Subject Computer. The settlement will provide a cash payment to United States residents who purchased a Subject Computer and paid for a Replacement Adapter covered by the settlement within the first three years following the initial retail purchase of the Subject Computer. If you qualify, you may send in a Claim Form to ask for payment, or you can exclude yourself from the settlement, or object. The United States District Court for the Northern District of California authorized this Notice. The Court will have a hearing to consider whether to approve the settlement, so that the benefits may be paid.
Who's Affected?
Purchasers of an Apple PowerBook or iBook computer listed on Exhibit 1 hereto. You're a "Class Member" if you are a United States resident who purchased in the United States an Apple PowerBook or iBook computer listed on Exhibit 1 for your own use and not for resale.
What's this About?
The lawsuit claimed that the Adapter included with or sold for the Subject Computers is defective in that it allegedly "dangerously frays, sparks and prematurely fails to work." Apple denies all allegations and has asserted many defenses. Apple is entering into this settlement to avoid burdensome and costly litigation. The settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing.
What can you Get from the Settlement?
Apple has agreed to provide a cash payment to Class Members who purchased a Replacement Adapter due to the failure of the Adapter included with or sold for a Subject Computer covered by the settlement and who send in a valid Claim Form. For failures within the first year following the initial retail purchase of the Subject Computer, the settlement requires that you attempted to have the failed Adapter replaced or repaired under warranty by Apple and such request was denied by Apple for a reason other than user abuse.
The settlement provides for different cash payments depending on when the Adapter included with or sold for your Subject Computer failed.
The settlement only applies to a Replacement Adapter purchased during the first three years following the initial retail purchase of the Subject Computer, and before May 31, 2009. Cash payment amounts are as follows:
YEAR OF FAILURE OF ADAPTERCASH PAYMENT AMOUNT
YEAR 1 THE ACTUAL AMOUNT PAID FOR THE REPLACEMENT ADAPTER (EXCLUDING TAX & SHIPPING) UP TO $79
YEAR 2$40
YEAR 3 $25
There is a limit of one cash payment per Subject Computer.
How do you Get a Payment?
A detailed Notice and Claim Form package contains everything you need. Just call 1-888-539-5706 or go to www.rosenthalco.com/gordonvapple to get one.
Important Deadlines
If you purchased a Replacement Adapter as described herein on or before June 10, 2008, you must mail the Claim Form postmarked on or before October 8, 2008. If you purchased a Replacement Adapter as described herein after June 10, 2008, you must mail the Claim Form postmarked on or before the earlier of 120 days after the date the Adapter failure occurred, or by May 31, 2009.
What are your Options?
If you don't want a payment and you don't want to be legally bound by the settlement, you must postmark your request to exclude yourself by July 25, 2008, or you won't be able to sue, or continue to sue, Apple about the legal claims in this case. If you exclude yourself, you can't get a payment from this settlement. If you stay in the Class, you may object to the settlement. Objections must be received by July 25, 2008. The detailed Notice describes how to exclude yourself or object. The Court will hold a hearing in this case (Gordon v. Apple Computer, Inc., Case No. 5:06-cv-05358-JW) on September 8, 2008, at 9:00 a.m. to consider whether to approve (1) the settlement and (2) attorneys' fees and expenses of $849,500 and a service award to Plaintiff of $500. You may appear at the hearing, but you don't have to. To obtain a full Notice and Claim Form, go to www.rosenthalco.com/gordonvapple or call toll free 1-888-539-5706. For more details, go to www.rosenthalco.com/gordonvapple or write to Helen Zeldes, Esq., Law Offices of Helen Zeldes, 249 S. Highway 101, #370, Solana Beach, CA 92075.
Exhibit 1
Configuration Codes of iBook and PowerBook Computers Covered by Settlement
iBook and PowerBook computers with serial numbers that include the following configuration codes are covered by the Settlement. To determine the configuration code, please look at the serial number for your computer. The configuration code is the last three characters of the serial number.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Could be if you ordered it from Apple, as part of the settlement Apple handed over contact information of customers.

I bought a spare unit from CompUSA (and then took it back as I ended up not needing it) and I have never been contacted about this suit.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Got the same email to the email address I setup to use only with my purchases of apple products and itunes.

That email address has never gotten any spam, nor has it ever gotten any email other than emails from Apple.

I vaguely remember this suit, but I am not part of it, so I never followed up on it.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I got it too.

I was under the impression they got my email address when I returned my PB battery during the whole return-your-battery-or-it-will-explode fiasco. Unless they sent it out to everyone with an email on iTunes.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
My mom got this too. I actually found this thread via a google search for the subject line of the email she got. I guess as long as they aren't asking for any personal info or bank info, I'll tell her to go ahead.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'd be wary, check the headers to confirm where it came from and be very suspicious about giving out any details.

This sounds like something apple could confirm to you if you phoned them up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.