Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
If you're in possession of a PROTOTYPE thats isn't released to the public, then duh its probably stolen. And paying for it just makes them more guilty. This is just bad and desperate journalism.

john7jr

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
How on earth does this article state that the iPhone was stolen? I thought it was lost, the finder asked around in the bar, and then sold it to Gizmodo.
Lost doesn't necessarily equate to stealing. But yes, when Gizmodo pays $5000 for something that they don't know is authentic? And a seller contacts them to sell it, I think the finder AND Gizmodo were pretty sure of what it was. And was the Video made explaining it was the new iPhone BEFORE it was disassembled?

Read the article. The bar says the guy never said a word to them.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Another thing about that iPhone being 'authentic' that bugs me is this?
How did it make it out of the Apple Lab? Supposedly they keep the new stuff locked down and under very tight security. Just a little suspicious.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Gizmodo paid 5k for a device that "may" have been an apple device? They knew it was all along I assure you!

It's reasonable to believe that they weren't 100% sure it was actually an Apple device until they took it apart and saw all the Apple labels on the parts. Otherwise, anyone could think a Chinese knockoff is an Apple prototype and be "obligated" to give it to them.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
I hope Apple sues Gawker to death. I never really liked Gizmodo or Gawker's other blogs, this just further cements my dislike.

Who the hell pays $5000 for what could be a Chinese knock-off, anyway?

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Wait'll they find out that Gizmodo drugged him on purpose.

(at the meeting the next day...)
Steve Jobs: There's something different about you today, Mr. Powell.
Gray Powell: Yeah, I *was* having a good day.
Steve Jobs: [gets up] No, it's something else...
Gray Powell: [gasps] What are you doing?
[Jobs lifts his hand, and Powell lifts into the air]
Steve Jobs: You lost your iPhone, now lose your iLife!
[He clenches his fist and Powell collapses to the floor, unmoving]
Steve Jobs: You failed me for the last time.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I lost a jacket at a bar once. When they checked the lost and found the next day, it wasn't there. They offered any of the other lost and found items as a replacement though.... didn't give me much confidence to say the least...

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
If you're in possession of a PROTOTYPE thats isn't released to the public, then duh its probably stolen. And paying for it just makes them more guilty. This is just bad and desperate journalism.

You can't tell a prototype from a knockoff without taking it apart. And as soon as they took it apart, they released what they found, requested a formal letter from Apple and returned it.

And please don't equate blogs with journalism. That's just a silly notion right there.

bmish

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
Excuses, excuses

It's disheartening that the finder of lost property would spend a couple of minutes asking around a bar (and make a few phone calls), but then turnaround and sell it for $5000. What a despicable person.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
The person who found it acted pretty dumb and is the one most likely to catch it.

The sensible thing to do when they realised it was a prototype would have been to contact Apple and keep pushing them until they realised what he had. Then prior to handing it over, commenting that you really wanted a new Mac Pro but couldn't afford it and asking if there was anything they could do to help.

Or taking loads of pictures of it prior to returning it, then selling them instead.

As it is, making a half hearted attempt to return it and then selling it as a prototype to someone for $5k is pretty stupid and opens them up for big problems.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Read the article. The bar says the guy never said a word to them.

Whose article? There are hundreds out there, and not all of them agree. The one that I read was on the Gizmodo site, not a DailyFinance article. The one I read said that he asked around. The bartender mentioned above said that he didn't ask anyone that worked at the bar. I don't know if I would ask anyone that worked there if they were sitting on a bar stool drinking and lost the phone.
I may ask if anyone had told them that they had lost a phone.

Bottom line, everyone can be taken to court, and they still won't agree. You have to take it with a grain of salt.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Let's not forget Engadget

... they published the photos first... violating trade secret laws.... remember Think Secret?

WalterNeff

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
The guy who left it in the bar

I wonder if Apple not firing him is part of a legal strategy in a possible civil case against Gizmodo/stealer. The Apple engineer misplaced it, he called the bar several times to try and get it back, but it's been stolen; so, Apple can ask, "why would we fire a valued engineer whose device has been stolen from him after he misplaced/mislaid it and immediately attempted to retrieve it?"

I bet Gizmodo gets sued and I suspect the seller gets prosecuted.

john7jr

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
No the bar owner said he never said a word to him, realize what ur saying.

Also, when the guy realized it was missing why didnt he try to call it? That is the first thing anyone does who looses their phone....

No, again: read the article. Hell, I'll quote the line for you:

What he never did, however, was notify anyone who worked at the bar, according to its owner, Volcker Staudt.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Yea yea, stop acting like you would have returned it. 99% off yall would have done the same.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Anyone who pays $5000 for a cell phone obviously believes there's something special about it. They knew it was the real deal, or heavily suspected it, and they knowingly took steps to acquire it.

Yea yea, stop acting like you would have returned it. 99% off yall would have done the same.

I would hate to think that's true. When I lost my cell phone, years ago, the person who found it went through the contacts and left a message with one of my friends. I never did arrange to meet up with them to pick it up, but at least they tried. I would certainly do the same if I ever found someone's phone or wallet.

I have found gift cards on the floor at shopping malls, and turned them in to store employees.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
why does the owner of the bar have any right to the phone?

if i'm in a Walmart parking lot and find 20 bucks sitting on the ground, am I supposed to give it to someone at Walmart to "give back to the owner"?

I thought Apple's primary concern security and secrecy...why let your NEXT BIG THING out of the building at all?

If you leave your phone somewhere, and you don't come back to get it, and someone finds it, then if you are lucky, they look through your phone book and call "mom" or whomever looks like the most important/most called person on the phone, and then you arrange to meet the person somewhere and get your phone back.

If you are unlucky, someone finds your phone, pulls out the sim card and sells it on ebay.

The guy who found the phone probably didn't even get a chance to call "mom" because Apple remote-bombed the phone. Can't they push a message to the phone instead? wasn't that one of the new MobileMe features they were touting a couple years ago? Send the guy a message like "Hey, you seem to have found something that isn't yours. Please drive to 1 Infinite Loop to trade the thing you found for a $200 reward. Do not pass Go, or you will not collect $200."

But no, Apple went with remote-wipe.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole event was planned.

timstl

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008
Here's the thing, though: Why would Apple sue someone over all this free publicity? I mean, really, all they are getting out of this is positive media coverage. Not only is everyone talking about it, but they are also in Apple's corner. They should just let it go, and be thankful for the free advertising.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
How does a phone fall out of your pocket on to a bar stool anyway? Maybe Apple will incorporate a belt chain in the new prototype cases!

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
How on earth does this article state that the iPhone was stolen? I thought it was lost, the finder asked around in the bar, and then sold it to Gizmodo.
Lost doesn't necessarily equate to stealing.

The guy removed it from the bar, that's where the theft comes in. A normal person would have left it with the bartender...

Obviously the guy would return to the bar! That would be like you finding a Macbook at Starbucks, then asking around for an hour. Nobody knows who lost it, so you keep it! Then, sell it on Ebay? Haha

When the first step should have been to take it to the counter! :rolleyes:

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
I also hope that this ends up in court.

I would like to know that should I ever drop my wallet in a bar that if some douchebag found it my credit card information wouldn't be posted throughout the internet and if it were that there would be some form of legal recourse.

But aside from the interesting legal issues that this situation has raised I was really dismayed by Gizmodo's followup posts. It seemed like they were returning to the scene of the crime and lamely making excuses, excuses that were obviously full of holes, in order to cover what they probably realized was their wrongdoing.

It seemed childish, amateurish, and had no class whatsoever. As much as I enjoy viewing Gizmodo I'm sufficiently disgusted with their BS that I may avoid the site altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.