Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ping Guo

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sorry for the slight thread Necromancy, but I just realised the OP is talking about the 13" MacBook Pro.

In this case, I would definitely recommend the MacBook Pro. The unibody construction makes it much more durable than the black plastic of the Lenovos. Additionally, you can protect against dusty and muggy environments with port protectors for the MacBook Pro, available from a variety of vendors. The frequent changes to the Lenovo port layout and relative popularity mean there are fewer of these protection options available to Lenovos.

Combine this superior durability with the better warranty options I mentioned before and I believe the choice is easy.

Do you have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, to support this? Say what you will about about Lenovo's drab looks and dull screens, but they are VERY solid, with magnesium alloy casing, a magnesium "roll cage" frame, steel hinges, matte finish, etc.

In contrast, aluminum is a soft metal that scratches easily. A dropped MBP is much more likely to dent or get bent out of shape than a Lenovo. Surviving an impact depends on a structure's ability to absorb shock, either through an impact zone like a car "crumple zone" or by flexing and "bouncing" back (polycarbonates, carbon fibers, titanium/magnesium).

So while a crumpled car may be great for passenger safety, a smashed up, dented MBP isn't great for the looks or value of your laptop.

For the user's needs, go with the Lenovo X200. Tougher, lighter, better heat management.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i use a macbook pro in bangladesh, often outdoors, high humidity, high dust. it has served me well, though it does get filthy.

while i have always respected the durability of the thinkpads, my anecdotal experience is that you can put a macbook pro through a hell of a lot including knocks and drops.

it depends how rough you want to go. i don't use a case either by the way, though admittedly i never check in luggage when i fly.

the only situation i wouldn't take my macbookpro is high altitude, unless i picked up an ssd.

bear in mind however that servicing is near impossible. at one point apple australia was going to send me a new laptop because of the faulty gpu issue, but the issue turned out to be software based. take this into consideration, check if ibm/lenovo services your destination, this could be a clincher.

healeydave

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Wow, I bet the OP never expected to get so much response :)

I'm sure the decision was made a while ago but, playing devils advocate, I would have recommended a MacBook Air. These can be picked up from the refurb store or ebay etc for less than $1000. By nature of the design, they are pretty closed up and I would imagine fair very will in dusty environments.

The Mac aluminum designs are nicely suited in my opinion and seem to have better tighter seals than the conventional plastic laptops.

If they were lucky enough to find one with a solid state drive in budget, another plus!

Not having a built in dvd drive would also be a plus, this is the worse source for contamination in any laptop.

I've had an MBAir since they first came out (pre-order) and I've never yet found the need for an external dvd drive, but if the OP needed one, of-course that could be bought with the advantage of being able to keep it covered and protected when not in use!

ruku

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
people who say the mbp pro is more sturdy are kidding themselves. i dropped my mpb late 2008 model and its fubared now. what a horrible feeling. get the toughbook or a netbook because they are what a portable computer should be. either super durable and near waterproof or cheap and easily replaced. big money should only be spent on computers that you will keep well protected or insured. with any luck you might be able to find a toughbook that can have osx installed on and lets not tell lies, if it were possible to buy a pc version of the osx operating system the toughbook would win this question hands down... i believe.

feflower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
A vote for netbook

Hello,

I guess it depends what you need to do. I would seriously consider a netbook (maybe even two; one as a backup) if you are doing light tasks such as notetaking, simple internet (if there is internet service there!). You really have to think of servicing where ever you are going.

I am planning about 16 months of fieldwork in Korea for my dissertation. Probably in the countryside. Although Korea is not an underdeveloped country, I know that Macs are not very popular there and I wonder about servicing. That is why I'm seriously considering a netbook because all I plan to do is keep a journal, and write notes and observations. (In fact, I have even considered going old school--pen and paper journal). I don't want to have to worry about extra technology on top of my work, my audio field recorder, video camera and still camera (as well as my wallet, phone and keys).

Let me throw out this question for other people. I know people have complained about cramped keys on the netbook; has anyone tried using Dragon Naturally Speaking on a netbook? You see the iPhone would almost be perfect for me if it can dictate into text my ideas, parts of my paper, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...Let me throw out this question for other people. I know people have complained about cramped keys on the netbook; has anyone tried using Dragon Naturally Speaking on a netbook? You see the iPhone would almost be perfect for me if it can dictate into text my ideas, parts of my paper, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

...you could also try something like the zPen or similar device...

http://www.danedigital.com/6-Zpen/

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h1663.htm

...also if you get a 10" netbook most of the keyboards are 90+% of full size...

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I am planning about 16 months of fieldwork in Korea for my dissertation. Probably in the countryside. Although Korea is not an underdeveloped country, I know that Macs are not very popular there and I wonder about servicing. That is why I'm seriously considering a netbook because all I plan to do is keep a journal, and write notes and observations. (In fact, I have even considered going old school--pen and paper journal). I don't want to have to worry about extra technology on top of my work, my audio field recorder, video camera and still camera (as well as my wallet, phone and keys).

I was planning on buying a Netbook for my motorcycle trip down to Argentina. Didn't pan out, but I'll probably go with this solution for when I do.

Korea has long since leapfrogged the US in penetration of net tech. You will not want for tech support in Korea. That said, Korea is also the most Mac unfriendly of all the technologically advanced nations. There are VERY few people who will deal with Macs in Korea so unless you're pretty knowledgeable, you're better off with Windows.

As for the Toughbook suggestions, that is not the question the TS was asking. TS wanted to know which to choose, Lenovo or Apple. The rugged line is nice, but is waaaay overkill for most and is really expensive. The semi rugged line is a good balance.

As I mentioned in a previous post, in truly rough environments, if your case is good enough, then your computer will be fine.

I've had my MBP with me through wars in the Congo, dust storms in the Sahara, and rainy season on the Irrawaddy delta. I don't need a shock/crushproof, dustproof, waterproof computer. I need a crushproof, dustproof, waterproof computer case. IOW, Otterbox or Pelican.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I am planning about 16 months of fieldwork in Korea for my dissertation. Thanks

There are several Apple Stores in Seoul. I was happy with customer servies of Apple Korea. I did not have my computer repaired over there though...
When I was in Korea, I only saw people who had lived in the West used the Mac. The rest used PC.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Hello,

I guess it depends what you need to do. I would seriously consider a netbook (maybe even two; one as a backup) if you are doing light tasks such as notetaking, simple internet (if there is internet service there!). You really have to think of servicing where ever you are going.

Let me throw out this question for other people. I know people have complained about cramped keys on the netbook; has anyone tried using Dragon Naturally Speaking on a netbook? You see the iPhone would almost be perfect for me if it can dictate into text my ideas, parts of my paper, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

There's no "official" Apple Stores in Korea, and Apple repair shops are very rare here. (I'm a second generation Korean living in Canada originally who is in Korea at the moment) Apple authorized resellers are quite common, but the repair shops aren't. It really depends on what city you're visiting.

If you're in Seoul or any of the major cities, it's okay. But if you're out of the major cities... Then your only bet is the shipping service where you have to send it in by courier and receive it by courier. Otherwise, you'd have to make a visit to the nearest major city.

Since Korea is very small, courier service thingy isn't all that bad actually, depending on your location, your macbook will be back to you within 3-4 business days.

Anyways, living in Korea with a mac is really hard. You'll NEED to install Windows to use internet banking and some important korean websites.
Koreans are slaves of microsoft and their ActiveX..... :(

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
I'd get a $200-$300 netbook and hook it up to a $75-$100 19" monitor.

Buy a $10 keyboard well you're at it.

So for ~$400 max, you're looking at a fairly solid set up and if something were to happen to the netbook, toss it.

Harsh conditions will kill any piece of electronic equipment. Lets be honest, in a sandstorm/humidity/heat/rain, it'll be all up to luck if your computer survives.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I'd get a $200-$300 netbook and hook it up to a $75-$100 19" monitor.

Buy a $10 keyboard well you're at it.

So for ~$400 max, you're looking at a fairly solid set up and if something were to happen to the netbook, toss it.

Harsh conditions will kill any piece of electronic equipment. Lets be honest, in a sandstorm/humidity/heat/rain, it'll be all up to luck if your computer survives.

It's not luck. It's how well you take care of your equipment.

An external monitor isn't ideal for TS, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.