Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

startwithz

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
me too

SOOOoooo....

i have the bytecc expresscard with a lacie d2 sata II drive, and i'm having a lot of the same issues you guys are having, plus my card only shows up half the time (the lights also dont turn on). I've tried both SI drivers, and even tried some other card manufacturer's drivers which use the same chipset, but they're all pretty much the same. When i initially booted with the card, it didnt show up, and when i spun up my hard drive, the lacie showed up for about 30 seconds, and my computer asked if i wanted to use the lacie for time machine, after which the "hardware disconnect" message popped up and both the drive and card disappeared from ASP

after reading posts about compatibility with 10.5.1 and 10.5.2, i decided to try it...and the result is :confused:

The card wreaked ultimate havoc with 10.5.1 showing up in ASP something like 30 times before causing a kernel panic.

In 10.5.2, the drive did the same thing as it did in my normal 10.5.3...it showed up for 30 seconds (and the light on the card turned on for 30 seconds) and hasnt show up since...though now, the card stays in ASP, until i try to spin up the hard drive, after which then a kernel panic results (10.5.3 didnt even recognize the card)....

For now, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with FCP until my sata drive will work with my laptop...its like a refugee....waiting for a nice HDD to install in.

I just ordered a CalDigit expresscard out of desperation...itll probably yield similar results, but i figure its worth a try...i'll keep you guys posted

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have the Bytecc card; no issues whatsoever; I can plug and unplug all I want; no KPs--everything just works. Just be sure to disconnect it in the menu bar!

startwithz

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
I have the Bytecc card; no issues whatsoever; I can plug and unplug all I want; no KPs--everything just works. Just be sure to disconnect it in the menu bar!

What build of OS X are you running? Maybe the problem is also hardware related, as my MBP is older (i have the 2.16 and you have the 2.6) and having problems. Anyone have any other ideas?

startwithz

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
Success!

I finally received my CalDigit Fasta/1ex card and it fixed ALL of my problems.

I installed the driver, plugged it in, and my LaCie is working fantastically fast. I'll be benchmarking it this weekend. The Card is working in 10.5.3, where the BYTECC card i had was causing kernel panics. If any of you are looking for an eSATA solution for your MBP, i'd seriously suggest paying the extra money (The card was $80 on newegg, with free shipping) to get this one, because it works...

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003

Same here. I've been using the Bytecc card since Tiger, and I haven't had a single problem even after upgrading to Leopard. I'm using the Silicon Image 1.1.9 drivers.

lancehornback

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2005
Apiotek express card + sil3132 + 10.5.4

I'm having the "Device Removed" error under 10.5.4. The card in the menu bar replicates it self. One strange thing is that after these errors I used the USB portion of the drive and got the same errors! Works fine under Bootcamp.

Anyone have a working solution? I would be so grateful to hear it!

I'm a little concerned about the previous entry stating a previous Silicon Image chipset resulted in data coruption :(

Is there any safe, working way people are using eSata drives on their Macbook Pros?

Thanks for any input!

startwithz

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
Hey,

I'm running a caldigit expresscard on 10.5.3, and its been working great. I also had problems with the silicon image card saying my drive was disconnected after a few seconds, so i switched the card. I'll probably try it under 10.5.4 soon, so i'll let you know what happens

11miles

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Slovenia (for now)
Apiotek expresscard/34 esataII

Hello maclovers...
first post.

i am reading this forum for quite a while now. when switching to mac it was my stronghold of information, and last week my mbp finally arrived.

been a mac user form work for 4 years but now i own one. very cool. very happy so far.

am doing music so i paired the mbp with audifire4 interface and an external HD. running logic pro.

took all the advice on setting up the express card and esata protocol and i got my first problem like many of you here.

the vendor is Apiotek though it doesnt say so on the card itself. I had to open a .jpg that was enclouse with driver installation cd. it was the small cd, and that is another funny story, but to make it short the enclosed cd had only pc drivers. though it says mac compatible.

had a bit of investigation going on and eventually got the drivers from silicon image site.
the 1.1.6 nor 1.1.9. did nto work for me. when the card was inserted the menu bar showed it, but it said unknown vendor...
so i installe the other driver (siliconimage3132r5)
and got it working.
in the menu bar it clearly states silicon image as a vendor and now i have a raid support .

the thing is that th whole protocol acts very strange...
i tried copying 1 folder (1,5 gb) form internal to external Seagate Freeagent Pro 500gb through esata connection...
it starts very fast (subjective observing, didnt measure it really) but when it hits 100mb it haults. for 10-15 seconds then goes on very slowly...

i tried the same HD with usb, it went smooth. FW also, but a lot faster.

am running 10.5.4. without bootcamp...

any thoughts what could be the problem?
the guy at the store assured me the express card is the only one he sells at the moment and that it is supposed to work flawlessly...

11miles

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Slovenia (for now)
went to investigate a bit further....

seems that the problem is with the Seagate FreeAgent Pro disc, and its esata connection.

with the same setup but with another disc with esata support i manage to copy 26 GB of files in about 12 minutes...

i would advise not to buy the described item for esata connection. usb and fw works ok.

best,
matt

lancehornback

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2005
Thanks for the post Matt!

I'm still watching this forum for a fix...

So are you saying that your eSata express card works with another non-Seagate HD? What exactly is "Seagate FreeAgent Pro disc"?

Has anyone got this working in Leopard?

11miles

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Slovenia (for now)
hey

this is what i am talking about
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent_pro_data_movers/

do not buy this for use wit esata protocol.
users around complained about its leg when transferring data through esata connection.
i tried it with fw and usb and works swell.
with esata the problem looks like this...
i tried to copy 1 folder of about 25Gb form my internal to esata connected HD, seagate.
it transferred first 100mb very fast... but then at about 100mb or so completely stopped. for about 10 seconds and then continued, with similar haults.
fw worked smooth, usb also but a lot slower.

so i initially thought it was the express cards fault. since i had trouble finding the right driver. The small cd encloused with it came only with windows drivers.:mad:
and the fact that it was a small cd, try putting it in a macbook pro and making it work?????

i underwent to downloading. and found out that the card itslef had no vendor named anywhere on the card. so i opened the manual for PC, and luckily there was a .jpg stating characteristic.
the vendor was Apiotek.

had no luck finding the right driver.
1.1.6 nor 1.1.9 does not work with leopard!!!!!!!! at least not with my config.

so i got to the last resort
Silicon image official download page.
and tried the less obvious driver (the one that supports raid, yadayada...)
installed it, restart the mbp and works!

i then got some other external hd with esata connection and trie the transfer.
25gb less than 10 minutes.
so i went back to the store, kindly returned the item, saying that i advise against using it for esata purposes.
bought me a 500gb cheetah seagate and a canyon house for it. esata and usb.
hooked it up, screwed the baby in and now have all the logic loops, and a spare partition only for recording on it.

hope that helps.

best,
m

lancehornback

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2005
Thanks for posting back!

Hmm, so it was that particular enclosure that was conflicting with the eSata card? You're using the same card and drivers now with the new Canyon enclosure and it's working fine? I'm using a Vantex Nexstar 3. I wonder if that's the problem...

Thanks for your post!

shredd

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Highpoint Rocket Raid 2314 with Leopard has problems too

Well, I'm happy it isn't just "me" and I can use these posts as evidence that I've been sold betaware. I bought the highly touted RR 2314 controller and it gives me the exact problems stated at the beginning of this thread. I'm attaching to a SansDigital PM 4 bay Tower Raid, running 10.5.2 and it just ain't working.

Otherwise, I'd be much happier if these computer companies would at least get some one "on it?!?"

jehlers

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
Another upset leopard user

Just bought a new MBP 2 weeks ago and am totally in love with it.

I've been reading much of this forum and have had most of the issues you all are talking about. Mainly, I get kernel panics every time I use the eSata Expresscard. I've installed the latest 3231 driver you all speak of and it's just kernel panic after kernel panic.

I'm using mostly WD MyBook drives (both 500GB and 1TB) as well as a G-Tech 500 GB drive. All have eSata as well as USB connection, so I haven't tested my machine with a HD lacking a USB connector.

I've never had a mac kernel panic on my 5 times within an hour before, so imagine how thankful I was when I read all this and realized and it's not my brand new machine!

Hope somebody fixes this soon. Who's gonna do it??? Silicon Image?? Apple??! Griffin?? Dynex?? Belkin??? COME ON GUYS!!

----------
15" MacBook Pro (Late '08)
2.53 GHz • 4 GB RAM • 320GB HD
OS X 10.5.5 Leopard

lincolnstudios

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
Hey,

I'm running a caldigit expresscard on 10.5.3, and its been working great. I also had problems with the silicon image card saying my drive was disconnected after a few seconds, so i switched the card. I'll probably try it under 10.5.4 soon, so i'll let you know what happens

How is your caldigit card working? How about with a port multiplier? Does it have a different chipset? Why do you think it works and the others do not? I have Sonnet and am about to give up. Bought a few cards, all failed and thinking to buy the caldigit card which is expensive here in Japan. Is it really worth it? Do you have hang ups when copying files. Any troubles?

Sorry for all the questions... Just going nuts and been up all night trying to fix the mess these other cards gave me.

Thank you,
Maty

thephotographer

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
New updated SI Driver for Leopard

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while now trying to resolve the eSATA card issue with Leopard. Apparently Silicon Image has released a 5th version of the driver now version 1.5.16 . This is what they now have in the description> This looks like they have addressed the issue. It's worth giving it a try.

This download includes the initial SiI3132 SATARAID5 driver and SATARAID5 Management Utility release for use with Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.9, 10.4.10, & 10.5.1. The SATARAID5 components support RAID levels 0, 1, 5, and 10 for RAID sets with up to 5 members. Please contact the external enclosure or hard disk drive manufacturer for problems specific to the device that may have surfaced under Mac OS X Leopard but, not previously present under Tiger.

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/siliconimage3132r5_15160.zip

itsasony

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2003
Sonnett Tempo esata express 34 and SansDigital TRM4

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while now trying to resolve the eSATA card issue with Leopard. Apparently Silicon Image has released a 5th version of the driver now version 1.5.16 . This is what they now have in the description> This looks like they have addressed the issue. It's worth giving it a try.

This download includes the initial SiI3132 SATARAID5 driver and SATARAID5 Management Utility release for use with Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.9, 10.4.10, & 10.5.1. The SATARAID5 components support RAID levels 0, 1, 5, and 10 for RAID sets with up to 5 members. Please contact the external enclosure or hard disk drive manufacturer for problems specific to the device that may have surfaced under Mac OS X Leopard but, not previously present under Tiger.

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/siliconimage3132r5_15160.zip

I have this 3132r5 driver and tested it with a sata port multiplier Sonnett Tempo Esata Express 34 and a SansDigital TRM4 loaded with 4 of 1.5TB Seagate sata drives with the CC1H firmware. Tests done with a 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro host on 10.5.5 osx. This scenario is not a hardware raid - it is a software raid that relies on the host computer for the raid 5 parity processing.

• Raid 5 (max GB 4 drive formatted=4TB) write speed 12M per second and cpu peaked at 99% both cores averaged 80% :source internal 500GB sata drive
• RAID 5 (only 20 GB 4 drive formatted) write speed 7M per second and cpu idle at 45% :source internal 500GB sata drive - perhaps drop in performance is affected by less cpu being used for parity in this one test.
• Raid 0+1 (mirrored striped=2.7TB) write speed 49M per second :source internal 500GB sata drive
• JBOD (contiguous) write 66M per second :source internal 500GB sata drive
• RAID 1 (Disk Utility soft raid 1 set) write 99M per second or 49M ea drive : source internal 500GB sata drive
• RAID 1 (SI raid manager raid 1 set) write 49.5M per second :source internal 500GB sata drive

During the initial Raid 5 formatting your Mac has about 45% of the CPU idle. It required 5 minutes to stripe for a 20GB volume. During a data transfer from internal drive to Raid5 the cpu is again not more than 45% idle. On this 20GB volume the data write speed was not higher than 7MB per second. Yes, that's seven megs per second - very disappointing!

Based on these results I will likely choose to just use this as a JBOD for best performance. I imagine that the port multiplier feature imposes a hit on the performance when the host is writing to multiple drives simultaneously.

palexandridis

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Portland, OR
A bump in regards to Snow Leopard. I read in one of the blogs that SL once again kills the 3132's latest drivers. Now, I was never able to get my 3132 to work after Leopard, but some were. What are people seeing now with SL? Are there any drivers not made by SI that work or anything like that. I've been sorta waiting these last 2 years for my eSATA ports back.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
I, too, am curious about this. Checked Silicon Image's website to see if there were more recent drivers as  says existing ones won't work in SL. My card is working now, but unless they release new drivers, I suspect I'll have to remove it.

sfinnerty

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2006
I just installed Snow Leopard and lost the use of my eSata Express Card. After nosing around for a bit it seems some people have had luck reinstalling the 1.1.9 drivers (or whatever the latest SI drivers are). So I gave it a go and everything seems to be working nicely. Drive even wakes up after going asleep which was a problem for me for a long time under Leopard. So far so good.

Fin

TheEasel

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
I just installed Snow Leopard and lost the use of my eSata Express Card. After nosing around for a bit it seems some people have had luck reinstalling the 1.1.9 drivers (or whatever the latest SI drivers are). So I gave it a go and everything seems to be working nicely. Drive even wakes up after going asleep which was a problem for me for a long time under Leopard. So far so good.

Fin

Can confirm Fin's finding: downloaded SiI3132_1.1.9u_Sil_Pkg from Silicon Image website at http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3 which got my (Cablemax) SATA2 ExpressCard Ex/34 going again after installing SL at the weekend.

GetBentOnIt

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
Los Angeles
Is it RAID compatible?

Can confirm Fin's finding: downloaded SiI3132_1.1.9u_Sil_Pkg from Silicon Image website at http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3 which got my (Cablemax) SATA2 ExpressCard Ex/34 going again after installing SL at the weekend.

Glad to know that the BASIC driver is still working after a SL install but does anyone know if the Silicon Image SATARAID Driver (1.5.16 as of 10/2/09) is compatible with Snow Leopard?

wjanoch

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Montana
Lion unSupported but works

Vantec 2 port eSATA card (UGT-ST450CB) works finally in 10.7 (Lion) using the driver for 10.6 (Snow Leopard) {was so bad in 10.5 I hadn't even tried it in 10.6}.

The driver is up to version: 1.2.5 as of Nov 30, 2011 (today)

Get the driver directly from the Chip maker's site: siliconimage (dot) com
SiI3132_1.2.5.0_Sil_Pkg.mpkg
http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3
SiI3132 - PCI Express (1x) to 2 Port SATA300

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.