Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Does anyone know the expected release date for Leopard, and if it is likely that iMac's will start shipping with Leopard once it is released. I want to buy an iMac, but it will probably be a few months before I can do so. Most likely right after Christmas. Wondering if it is wise to hold off until Leopard is released in hopes that the new iMac would come with it installed.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
KevKaos said:
Does anyone know the expected release date for Leopard, and if it is likely that iMac's will start shipping with Leopard once it is released. I want to buy an iMac, but it will probably be a few months before I can do so. Most likely right after Christmas. Wondering if it is wise to hold off until Leopard is released in hopes that the new iMac would come with it installed.
i think it will be out in spring, so u might just wait a little bit

macboy62

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Tokyo
KevKaos said:

I'm doing the same thing. I just hope we get a little hardware upgrade too :)

What are you getting? I want a 24" with all the upgrades:D

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
From Apple.com's OS X page:

Get ready, get set, get Leopard
All these features and more are delivered to you in one universal, fully accessible, 64-bit operating system. Coming spring 2007.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
macboy62 said:
I'm doing the same thing. I just hope we get a little hardware upgrade too :)

What are you getting? I want a 24" with all the upgrades:D

Oh my, no 24" for me. I'll be lucky to get a 17" or a 20". Leaning toward the 20" since it looks like I will be saving for a bit longer.

macboy62

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Tokyo
KevKaos said:
Oh my, no 24" for me. I'll be lucky to get a 17" or a 20". Leaning toward the 20" since it looks like I will be saving for a bit longer.

Just hope I don't do what I did last time...
I bought a 19" G4 2 weeks before the 20" G4 came out at the same price! :eek:

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
macboy62 said:
Just hope I don't do what I did last time...
I bought a 19" G4 2 weeks before the 20" G4 came out at the same price! :eek:

Well, I guess another related question could be; What has Apple's track record been like in the past? Have they had more than one major hardware or software release within a calendar year? Those of us in the PC world are used to new operating systems coming out something like one every 3 or 4 years. :rolleyes: It looks like Apple is rolling out a new OS about every 2 years. Does that sound about right? I just have to get myself hooked into the good Apple gossip sites so I know when these things are coming down the pike.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
crazzyeddie said:
Its more like every 1.5 years. Earlier versions of OS X were about 1 year on the dot.

Still better than Microsoft if you ask me.

With me not having a Mac yet, I don't know about these things, but do you get weekly updates to software like we do in the PC (MS) world?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
KevKaos said:
Still better than Microsoft if you ask me.

With me not having a Mac yet, I don't know about these things, but do you get weekly updates to software like we do in the PC (MS) world?

Not weekly and most software updates are adding features/increasing stability and performance rather than plugging holes in a sieve.

All Apple software, including OSX is updated using the built-in Software Update. Software updates to Apple software is released when it's ready, not to a pre-determined time table.

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
um those are called Virus Patches or (band aids)
no we dont get those we get firmware and java upgrades

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Old Smuggler said:
um those are called Virus Patches or (band aids)
no we dont get those we get firmware and java upgrades
Ha ha. Good point, but in all fairness, one of the releases in the the past year was an update to Widows Media Player.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
KevKaos said:
Ha ha. Good point, but in all fairness, one of the releases in the the past year was an update to Widows Media Player.

In the past year we got three new versions of iTunes, 5, 6 and 7... :p

All Apple software is updated through Software Update, including iLife, Aperture, iWork etc.

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
oh i hate windows with a passion ive used it all my life until last year i bought a 400$ mac and i wont turn back
now i dont bash people for what they use im just sayin with windows they make it so much harder to do the exact same task
and the GUI is ugly (not that i am into fashion either)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
scott523 said:
It should be released before January 2007 to beat out Microsoft's Vista.

It's coming out in Autumn 2007. I reckon late March/early April.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.