Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danzsupreme

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Is it really worth buying any non-intel mac at this point. Already its slower booting up with the new updates. and its only going to get slower and slower and slower

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Just what we need. Yet another PPC vs. Intel thread...

There are some people around here still ordering Quads; these will continue to be fast machines.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Danzsupreme said:
Is it really worth buying any non-intel mac at this point. Already its slower booting up with the new updates. and its only going to get slower and slower and slower

Only relatively ;). Any particular machine is no slower now that when it was first released. The questions you should be asking yourself are:

* Is the responsiveness (of the PowerPC machine) acceptable for what I am going to use it for?
* Am I likely to need additional CPU resource (perhaps to run more processor-intensive software than I would initially) within the planned lifetime of the machine?
* Does Apple offer an Intel-based machine right now that is suitable for my needs?
* If not, can I afford to wait until such a machine is available?
* Can I put the PowerPC machine to an alternative use or sell it for a price that is acceptable to me once I am no longer using it in the way I initially intend?

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Danzsupreme said:

hate to break it to you but the current powermacs kill the intel iMacs. albeit by a smaller margin then before. the intel core duo (yonah) simply can't provide enough power to overtake the powermacs in performance, thats why the powermacs are waiting until conroe and woodcrest, and they're over half a year away. add that to the fact that you can't run pro apps natively for 3 more months, i would say for someone who actually buys a computer to do work on, it is more then worth it. especially the quad, intel is really going to have to work hard to get something to beat that beast.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
the question is - when will the PowerMacs start to really drop in price? i'm guessing only when new PowerMacs with Intel procs arrive. how much do people think the Quads will drop then? any good deals to be had on a Quad when the Intel PM's get here?

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Blue Velvet said:
Just what we need. Yet another PPC vs. Intel thread...

There are some people around here still ordering Quads; these will continue to be fast machines.

you're wrong... quads will get slower now that a new imac has been released.

they are now official know as 'crappyquads'

whaley

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Minnesota
How do your software choices work in this question?

Would it be better to wait for a little bit for the intel desktop and the native software or buy right now?

I understand that applications will need to be rewritten for the intel machines, how long will the G5 be supported by the authors?

I would think that apps that run native on intel would have a longer useful life should something happen to your hardware.

It seems the hardware is just the start.

Roger

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Unless you are a professional, buying a G5 PowerMac is a waste of time right now. That's how I feel. If you are a money conscious consumer, then the Intel iMac is the ONLY way to go.

You save at leasy $200 by getting the iMac and you also save a few hundred in selling your current monitor or not having one, since the iMac comes all in one.

That's around $500 for most people who have nice LCD displays like the iMac does.

Now, is the iMac really $500 lesser of a computer than the PowerMac? From what we are all seeing, I highly doubt it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
cb911 said:
the question is - when will the PowerMacs start to really drop in price? i'm guessing only when new PowerMacs with Intel procs arrive. how much do people think the Quads will drop then? any good deals to be had on a Quad when the Intel PM's get here?

i agree. i love you have a quad G5, but right now they are too expensive. but maybe if the price comes down quite a bit ....

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Yeah, let's get real here. MOST people don't nearly need the speed that any one of these "pro" mac's offer. I guarantee you, the average Joe who splurges on an iMac, PowerBook, PM Dualie, plays the occasional game, checks email, types a memo in MS word, and maybe uses iLife. Other than that, it's all souped up techno-envy. It's like the homies dropping dimes on air jordans to think they can ball, when all they really wanted was a fashion accessory.

Macs -- the new accessory for the bedroom. Drop $2000 at your own risk.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
djkny said:
Macs -- the new accessory for the bedroom. Drop $2000 at your own risk.

most people buy Mac based on their NEEDS and WANTS, fast computer make thing easier and faster. The iMac is not that much of an over kill for a home user, its speedy and worth the cash

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.