Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMajestic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Hello all and happy new year,

Recently I bought a 4k monitor (LG 27UD69P) for my MacBook Pro 13" 2016 (with thunderbolt 3 ports). I am using the original usb-c Digital AV Multiport Adapter in order to connect the external display through HDMI cable to may MBP.

The issue is that:

1. The external display running only on 4k @30Hz even though it supports 4k @60Hz through HDMI 2.0. Also, apple documentantion says that you can see 4k @60Hz through the original adapter, a certified premium HDMI 2.0 cable and a display with HDMI 2.0 support. From all the above I am not sure if my cable is certified premium HDMI 2.0, probably it is not. Is it possible the HDMI cable to be the reason of this problem?

2. Also, the scaled options are not available, I can run the external display on 1080p scaled (4k @30Hz original resolution) and 4k @30Hz (low resolution) which means native.

The fact that the MBP is not recognize the external display as "retina" in order to provide me more scaled options is due to the adapter which I use ? Should I change to type c -> HDMI cable or type c -> DisplayPort?

Thank you all.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
DisplayPort is always the better choice for 4K resolution. That said you already have the necessary adapters and cables and it should work with HDMI 2.0 as well.

I don't know your particular display but the LG 27UD68 has a so-called "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" setting in its menu under Picture - Picture Adjust that needs to be enabled in order to support HDMI 2.0. There's also a SUPER RESOLUTION+ setting but I don't know what that does.

daveak

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Durham, UK
I use a usb-c to DisplayPort cable and the scaled option appears. I use looks like 2560x1440 so it matches the appearance of my other 5K screen. I do have some problems with the screen displaying sometimes. MacOS shows the monitor under displays, but the screen says no signal, this may be because I am also using a usb-c extension cable though.

I've not tried via HDMI. I do have an Apple TV 4K plugged into the HDMI port which is outputting at 4K 60hz. As mj_ states I have turned on "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color". You don't need an HDMI 2 certified cable, the cable itself is no different to a 1.4 cable, however it will depend very much on the quality of the cable as to whether it can support HDMI 2 or not.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Apple usb-c Digital AV Multiport Adapter is limited to 4K 30Hz, cable isn't a problem

RMajestic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018

daveak

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Durham, UK

RMajestic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Once again thank you for your fast replays. Anyone through this thread is able to understand how the whole think is working. I will put my comments once I receive the cable!

Happy new year to all!

RMajestic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Hello all,

Just received the cable and I can confirm that its working properly. 4k @60Hz with all scaled options available.

Once again thank you very much for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.