Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
If you can wait, then maybe you are lucky enough to get the LG 34" 4K Ultra Wide for your new MacPro...But who knows when this will release, it was in CES

Too many pixels, hard to drive IMO. I'd like ultra widescreen in 60 fps with all effects turned on.

----------

B&H because when I called, they are not sure when they are getting the stock..I read somewhere that someone contacted LG and it was mention Mid-August and still it is limited supply, so if you think your order will go through, think again, there could be more people in front of you..

Well, that just means more time to iron out the bugs, and more time for other companies like Dell to come out with a solution. Plus 4k is still being developed and who knows? Anyhow glad you're happy but I'd rather save some 40% and wait.

reyh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
I downloaded steam and tested counter strike GO at max settings and I got 150fps avg.if I turn anisthropic filtering from 16x to 8x, fps went up to 280-300fps..The weird this is that the video stress test the is built in on CS no matter what setting your video is its constant to 60fps....this is done on 3444x1440 native which is available in CS..

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I downloaded steam and tested counter strike GO at max settings and I got 150fps avg.if I turn anisthropic filtering from 16x to 8x, fps went up to 280-300fps..The weird this is that the video stress test the is built in on CS no matter what setting your video is its constant to 60fps....this is done on 3444x1440 native which is available in CS..

It's absolutely brilliant for gaming, and I've have little issue with games so far not supporting the resolution, and performing well in OSX

I still need to pick up a nice colorimeter.

reyh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
where can I find a colorimeter? I also like to know what color profile you guys use for your setup, I see "Apple RGB" seems like the best fit for this monitor..

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 117

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
where can I find a colorimeter? I also like to know what color profile you guys use for your setup, I see "Apple RGB" seems like the best fit for this monitor..

Amazon sells them, also the display has a hardware LUT so you use the LG software to calibrate it to the hardware, no need to software profiles.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0055MBQ...=UTF8&colid=DH7ASC2LZ41Y&coliid=ICEL6V80PXQQJ

Install the LG software from the disc you got with the display, DO NOT install the colorimeter software, and then just run the LG software, follow instructions and calibrate.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
My B&H order has been sent to the warehouse. I had a order in Feb or something but canceled it. Then I waited and caught a $100 only about a month ago, now it's being processed. We'll see but I'm looking forward to this monitor.

dpavid

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
Mililani, Hawaii
I wouldn't count on getting your LG34UM95 's by that date. Mine has been on order from B&H since May 13th & was suppose to be shipped June 6. Now they say the back orders will be in on June 30th. IF you are lucky they may have enough to fill the back orders & the new orders.

Woot Woot! BH just emailed and my two are in transit! Delivery next week Monday UPS Ground. So Stoked.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I received a Rev2 June manufactured unit today and the backlight bleeding sucks, and no it's not IPS glow. It's bad from 6+ feet and doesn't change with position.

I'd be cautious until they work this out.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Any of you guys who have one of these, did you previously own any of the Apple Cinema / LED / Thunderbolt displays? If so, how is this LG in comparison to those in terms of picture quality, colour reproduction, brightness and contrast etc. I don't need technical readouts, just anecdotal for now.

I have been super happy with my 2 x 24" Apple LED displays. And I certainly don't want to take a step backwards in any metric if/when I get one of these LG's (once they fix the backlight bleed issue).

Scott

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Any of you guys who have one of these, did you previously own any of the Apple Cinema / LED / Thunderbolt displays? If so, how is this LG in comparison to those in terms of picture quality, colour reproduction, brightness and contrast etc. I don't need technical readouts, just anecdotal for now.

I have been super happy with my 2 x 24" Apple LED displays. And I certainly don't want to take a step backwards in any metric if/when I get one of these LG's (once they fix the backlight bleed issue).

Scott

Here's a comparison between the two.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19277665/

I don't own an ACD, but but from what I've seen on the ACD's they're not as good as the LG. The LG also has a hardware LUT, so any colour calibration is straight to the monitor, instead of just a software profile. A big plus for me.

I just can't fault my LG at the moment on anything, bar some light IPS Glow in the bottom corners if I look at a certain angle.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
She's here!!! I had to move it into the kitchen to do a side by side with the TB display. It was just too big for my office desk. Here's a quick size comparison photo. I set both to Adobe RGB (1998) and these are the default settings on the LG. Unfortunately I have to take off to run an errand right now, but when I get back I'll play with it some more.

This is running off my late 2013 15" rMBP and daisy chained off the TB display for now. I'll also have to make a new wider wallpaper for it.

You can see how the Matte screen helped with the reflections in the room. The TB display looks horrible next to it.

Compared to your Apple display, how are the whites/blacks/colours/contrast/brightness? If I were to replace my two Apple displays with this LG, would I be happy with the colour etc? I do design work and web development etc :)

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
This display is brilliant, even compared to the ACD's. The anti-glare coating is simply perfect. It's completely unobtrusive yet lacks any sort of reflection.

It's got a hardware LUT so calibration is going to be excellent on this. After using it for a half-day of work and a couple hours of play, I don't think there's any going back.

Now what to do about the backlight bleed? I'm going to talk with Costco and make sure I can swap it down the road if and when this gets resolved.

ticotoo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
LG34UM95 DOA see my post inMac Peripherals

I would not order a LG34UM95 again
LG34UM95 DOA see my post inMac Peripherals :eek::(

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I've had no issues since I got my LG 34UM95, here's a photo from 1am last night on a black background to show my bleed and IPS glow.

hX2nLGgl.jpg

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
That's good to hear and see. May I ask how bright you had your screen set?

I typically run my monitors at 100%.

100% is blindingly bright. I find that in the day a brightness of 35 is perfect for me as I have a large window to the right behind me.

At night however it's verybright and causes some eye strain so I knock it down to 20 if I don't have the day/white light on.

The monitor shipped with a brightness of 70 which was far to high for me to be usable.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
About the backlight bleed, you know I have five Cinema monitors. Two old 24", one Cinema and 2xThunderbolt. All of them have horrible backlight bleed. It's mostly in a large U shape, brighter towards the bottom two corners (the bottom of the U), but it goes across the entire monitor.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the Bleed anyhow. Sure I'd ideally like to not have any, but in use I don't see any affect.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
100% is blindingly bright. I find that in the day a brightness of 35 is perfect for me as I have a large window to the right behind me.

At night however it's verybright and causes some eye strain so I knock it down to 20 if I don't have the day/white light on.

The monitor shipped with a brightness of 70 which was far to high for me to be usable.

I guess I like my whites to really shine white. I guess I have always just worked like that. On my MacBook Air I DO turn it down from time to time but only when I'm trying to save battery etc.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Their review says "the LG display lacks an internal LUT".
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8057/lg-34um95-monitor-review/4

Their review is wrong in that regard, there are so many reports of it with a hardware LUT and simply opening the OSD and looking at the CD supplied proves it.

Install LG calibration software, plug in colorimeter and let it do its magic.

The monitor manual even runs you through it, although states you must use a supported colorimeter.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1213797-lg-34um95-p-ultra-wide-monitor-review/
http://www.overclock.net/t/1479950/...trawide-qhd-34-inch-monitor/810#post_22518961

http://www.overclock.net/t/1479950/...trawide-qhd-34-inch-monitor/790#post_22515264

jhnKu0Kl.jpg

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You bought it as Costco?

Yes, Costco online..

If you knew about Costco's return policies you would never have asked that question.

Regardless of the manufacturer's policies - if it has a bad pixel or other issue long after purchase Costco will refund/replace.

Not too long ago I bought the top Samsung 60" TV - and I first went to find it at Costco. They didn't carry the model that I wanted - so I paid more and got less support at a discount video store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.