Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I agree.

Honestly though, I didn't buy the LG G5 because of the friends, or even a removable battery. I bought it because it's the closest I'm going to get to stock Android on T-Mobile..

You think LG's UX is close to stock android ? To me they are a bazillion miles apart.

If you wanted stock android on T-Mobile couldn't you buy a Nexus or a Motorola device ?

Reactions: Fernandez21

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The last time a flagship was this disappointing was the HTC One M9 last year. And HTC is still trying to recover. Let's hope it doesn't take LG as long.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Well now that there is basically only the camera module, HTC must love this. This is their chance to bounce back. No one is going to choose the G5 over the M10 unless it comes out a complete bust as well.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
You think LG's UX is close to stock android ? To me they are a bazillion miles apart.

If you wanted stock android on T-Mobile couldn't you buy a Nexus or a Motorola device ?
Actually, it doesn't look like T-Mobile offers those, so if they're using jump on demand or another monthly payment plan they couldn't get those.

The closest to stock that I see that they offer would be the Blackberry PRIV, that runs a pretty stock version of android. Outside of that, I guess touch wiz would be closer to stock IMO than LG.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Visually, it looks pretty different (like the menu buttons and such) but in functionality wise I feel like I'm using stock.

Motorola isn't stock (though it is closer than LG of course)

And T-Mobile doesn't have any Nexus or Motorola devices on Jump, so it's not a choice.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Finally had a play around with it just now...

Wow, it is nice! Much better than how it comes across in videos/reviews etc.

Feels great in hand, camera is excellent, screen was fantastic, it DOES actually "feel" quite close to stock (granted I didn't go in that deep).

If LG had released THIS instead of the G4 a year ago, they would have absolutely smashed it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Finally had a play around with it just now...

Wow, it is nice! Much better than how it comes across in videos/reviews etc.

Feels great in hand, camera is excellent, screen was fantastic, it DOES actually "feel" quite close to stock (granted I didn't go in that deep).

If LG had released THIS instead of the G4 a year ago, they would have absolutely smashed it.

Well, your sentiments seem to be quite the opposite to just about everything I've read or heard. Most describe the build quality as lackluster and inconsistent, the software experience still a bit of a disjointed mess, and the entire 'friends' accessories generally as gimmicks not worth the money. Go listen to the Android Central podcast from a week ago that was predominantly dedicated to the G5 and there aren't too many kinds words---same for All About Android. Seem to hear an awful lot of 'rushed' or 'half baked' comments. Due to the timing of its release, it's obviously being compared directly to the S7 models and when put head to head, there are very few, if any, areas where the G5 outshines the S7--all for roughly the same price. The announcement of the HTC 10 and largely very favorable first impressions are certainly not going to help.

I'm not trying to discount your impressions regarding the G5 as obviously, preferences are largely subjective. But LG needs a lot more word of mouth like yours because unfortunately, your feelings about it appear to be in the minority.

Reactions: jamezr

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Well, your sentiments seem to be quite the opposite to just about everything I've read or heard. Most describe the build quality as lackluster and inconsistent, the software experience still a bit of a disjointed mess, and the entire 'friends' accessories generally as gimmicks not worth the money. Go listen to the Android Central podcast from a week ago that was predominantly dedicated to the G5 and there aren't too many kinds words---same for All About Android. Seem to hear an awful lot of 'rushed' or 'half baked' comments. Due to the timing of its release, it's obviously being compared directly to the S7 models and when put head to head, there are very few, if any, areas where the G5 outshines the S7--all for roughly the same price. The announcement of the HTC 10 and largely very favorable first impressions are certainly not going to help.

I'm not trying to discount your impressions regarding the G5 as obviously, preferences are largely subjective. But LG needs a lot more word of mouth like yours because unfortunately, your feelings about it appear to be in the minority.

Oh I agree. It doesn't compare to the S7, but then in my opinion no phone on the planet does.

My expectations were incredibly low thanks to Android Central and co. However, when picking up the phone in real life and playing with it for 10 minutes, it's clearly an impressive phone. It's an artificial environment (a shop, demo mode etc) but it was a massive step up from the G3/G4 (which I owned).

Basically if you gave a G5 to your average Android user - not us, but the lay people :D - then they would be extremely happy with it, and that's ultimately what counts.

Sure, I wouldn't buy one but if the normals out there bought a G5, or the new HTC, they would be just fine.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm, I like the G5 over the M10 so far, but I'm not in love with either. The G5 fascinates me though with the modules, I'll be very curious what modules they release. I give them credit for thinking outside the box, as opposed to just rehashing the M9 with larger chamfers.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Hmm, I like the G5 over the M10 so far, but I'm not in love with either. The G5 fascinates me though with the modules, I'll be very curious what modules they release. I give them credit for thinking outside the box, as opposed to just rehashing the M9 with larger chamfers.

I wish they had the rolling ball robot friend ready from launch - that'd be something to play with

I can't decide which G5 I'd get if I plumped for it.... Of the three I've seen in stores, they've all had different levels of build quality. Or, to be exact, either no gap, a bit of a gap, or a visible gap. And all had a rough edge where the friend didn't line up exactly.

Maybe it happens due to being handled all day but they've only been out a week or so.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
This phone is gorgeous - BUT the major deal breaker is the extremely cheap thin glass screen - when you press on it with just normal force you'd use on any smartphone you get the TFT rainbow effect. You don't have to use too much force to see the pixel discolor around. This was the major deal break and it's not a specific model at the store - i've tried it at 3 stores and all the models exhibit this problem. It must be the extremely thin glass screen. BUT the damn LCD is awesome - somehow the display is so close to the screen it's as if it's painted directly on the glass!

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Not sure how hard you are pressing but I don't see any of that on my G5 if you press hard on any LCD screen you'll get that effect. I see it on the G5 and yes my iPad PRO only when I press hard. Normal use it's fine. I've had this phone for over a week now and I have not experienced most of the negative shortcomings/defects that are claimed. I get that people don't like this phone but the amount of vitoral against it is staggering. it's a shame that LG slipped up on the QC on the first batch of phones. I'm not saying the phone is perfect but for my needs it's been a joy to use. I truly love the always on display and cameras.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Yeah I think the G5 will be about those friends. I see they opened it to developers so we'll see how creative they can get.

I thought the m10 looked impressive. Can you elaborate why you prefer the G5?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Oh I agree. It doesn't compare to the S7, but then in my opinion no phone on the planet does.

My expectations were incredibly low thanks to Android Central and co. However, when picking up the phone in real life and playing with it for 10 minutes, it's clearly an impressive phone. It's an artificial environment (a shop, demo mode etc) but it was a massive step up from the G3/G4 (which I owned).

Basically if you gave a G5 to your average Android user - not us, but the lay people :D - then they would be extremely happy with it, and that's ultimately what counts.

Sure, I wouldn't buy one but if the normals out there bought a G5, or the new HTC, they would be just fine.

One play with the S7 Edge at Best Buy had me knowing I was getting one, several plays with the G5 just kept coming back as a no go for me buying one.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah I think the G5 will be about those friends. I see they opened it to developers so we'll see how creative they can get.

I thought the m10 looked impressive. Can you elaborate why you prefer the G5?

The M10 doesn't impress me much. It's still got large side bezels and it's very chunky. Reviews are noting so so battery life, which surprises me seeing how chunky it is. I do think it's a nicely specced phone and has a lot of pluses including being carrier unlocked/unbloated. But stylistically it isn't my cup of tea. The G5 isn't either, I'm just fascinated by the modules.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
On second thoughts, the no app drawer idea is pretty neat. That way it's only one launchpad rather than 2. If you don't use widgets, the main home screen just gets in your way. Personally, I had three home screens on my S6 Edge+, and most of the widgets that I had put up, I just didn't use. So, I just put Nova on, and had one home screen, with my most used apps, the widgets that I do use, and the rest of the apps in folders. I'm finding it way more efficient.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 108

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
On second thoughts, the no app drawer idea is pretty neat. That way it's only one launchpad rather than 2. If you don't use widgets, the main home screen just gets in your way. Personally, I had three home screens on my S6 Edge+, and most of the widgets that I had put up, I just didn't use. So, I just put Nova on, and had one home screen, with my most used apps, the widgets that I do use, and the rest of the apps in folders. I'm finding it way more efficient.
What has your battery life been?what SOT are you getting?

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
What has your battery life been?what SOT are you getting?

I don't really use my phone as my main device, so most of the drain is from standby, and thus battery life is kind of irregular. It's not really much different to when I started using Nova if that's what you're asking. It's worth mentioning that I've had Nova installed for a while now, but I haven't used it until a few days ago.

These are my current usage stats:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 77

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't really use my phone as my main device, so most of the drain is from standby, and thus battery life is kind of irregular. It's not really much different to when I started using Nova if that's what you're asking. It's worth mentioning that I've had Nova installed for a while now, but I haven't used it until a few days ago.

These are my current usage stats:
You have never used the G5 as your daily driver for a few days to see what it's like? What phone is your daily driver?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Well now that there is basically only the camera module, HTC must love this. This is their chance to bounce back. No one is going to choose the G5 over the M10 unless it comes out a complete bust as well.
I live in orlando area. Went to two att Corp stores and local Best Buy. Just picked up a s7 (don't like the edge, has the edge plus briefly last fall).

Anhways. I chit chat and ask how many G5 they have sold. Answer from all 3 stores was Zero.

Obviously it's a very small sample. But zero and very little interest from customers.

Pretty sad. And I loved my lg G3 when it came out. G4 fixed many issues with the G3. G5 was supposed to take it to the next level.

Guess LG has lost a lot of momentum with a flagship launch.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
You have never used the G5 as your daily driver for a few days to see what it's like? What phone is your daily driver?

Nah, never used the G5. Currently using an S6 Edge+, which isn't the best performer in terms of battery. But as I say, I'm not a heavy phone user, so battery life isn't that important to me.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Does anyone know anything a out the g4 boohoo issue? Seems like LG really messed up, wonder if this will hurt g5 sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.