Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifarlow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Georgia
I've been keeping an eye on stock levels at nearby Apple Stores for the UltraFine 5K monitor, and yesterday morning one popped up as available at the store closest to me (which is unfortunately still an hour away). So I purchased online and picked up in store. The monitor has a sticker and barcode on the box with a December 2021 date on it.

I got it home, hooked it up to my M1 Mac mini, and fired it up. I'm coming from an ASUS ProArt PA279CV which has been an amazing display running at a scaled setting (1440), and right off the bat I could tell that the resolution on the 5K is noticeably better. However, I am seeing a pink cast on the screen, especially on the left side.

Attached are two pictures, one of the ProArt and one of the 5K. Am I being too picky here? Is this normal? For $1,200 I feel like I should get more consistent quality, but perhaps I'm wrong. To make matters worse, I feel like the longer I look at these two images, the more I can't tell if there is an issue with the 5K or with both.

Any input is appreciated.

ASUS ProArt.jpeg

ASUS ProArt PA279CV

LG 5K.jpeg

LG UltraFine 5K​

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Pink edges is a known problem with this underlying panel (LG 270QQ...) and also shows up in other products that use it (iMac 5K, external 5K monitors from other brands). It often gets worse over time, so if you're already unhappy with it on day 1 then unfortunately I think the best thing to do is return it.

There's a thread on here regarding the iMac with plenty of photos: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2015-27-imac-has-pink-edges-anyone-else.2178372/page-6

Last edited:

ifarlow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Georgia
...so if you're already unhappy with it on day 1 then unfortunately I think the best thing to do is return it.

I know you are likely right, but the image otherwise is so good it's a tough call. *sigh*

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I know you are likely right, but the image otherwise is so good it's a tough call. *sigh*
Yep I actually have several of the iiyama monitors that use this 5K panel, and they all have some degree of pink edges, but regardless are a joy to use because of the ultra pixel density. They were much much less than $1200 a piece though!

ifarlow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Georgia
…but regardless are a joy to use because of the ultra pixel density.
That’s the dilemma. I’m trying to work out if I should be this sensitive to the pink cast. In most viewing situations it’s not even noticeable, but if I drag a PDF to the left side of the screen, it becomes obvious.

Thanks for the link, by the way. Off to read of other’s woes.

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
I have owned the 21,5 inch model for years now, and the pink tint is now all around the edges. Extremely annoying for such a so called high quality monitor.

marcatrainbow

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
I just sent my partners 4k Ultrafine monitor for repair to LG, for this exact reason, sudden pink cast around edge of screen, got a call from the repairers today and am told the part cannot be sourced and therefore it cannot be repaired, just the same as my LG washing machine 1 week out of warranty, LG seem to have a policy go not repairing anything over 5 years old, so buyer beware.

CubeApril

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2022
Yeah, the 21.5" screen hasn't had LCD panels for parts for a while now:

Which really sucks, because it's by far the best secondary vertical panel ever made. I will be extremely sad when mine dies.

• Love
Reactions: scsskid

scsskid

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2016
very sad 🥲, but its still usable, love it in vertical, its not as bad when screen is not all white obviously

IMG_3279.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.