Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soundsystem00

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
Hey! I have an early 2014 Macbook Air, the cheapest one at the store, which was the 10 ( or 11 ) inch model. I love it. It's the best laptop I have ever had. The only complaint is that the hinges are floppy! I am sure there is a better way to describe this problem, but that is all I got.

I will describe what happens. When I open the Macbook Air and the lid ( screen portion ) is fully upright, the slightest movement ( picking it up, scooting back in my chair, subtle desktop drum beats on the keyboard ) will cause it to fly all the way back! It has been this way from day one, so I know it has nothing to do with the way I have treated the computer, which is extremely nicely and carefully.

I was hoping there is some 3rd party company, or perhaps even a service Apple has, that can tighten the hinges or whatever is wrong so that the screen portion of the laptop is tighter and more stable. This is the only issue I have ever had with this computer.

Well the battery life definitely isn't 8 hours but I will save that for another thread. I have read alot on this and have found a couple diagnosis's and fixes that could help, but anything on THAT would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you so much for reading and I look forward to seeing what people come up with. Thanks a bunch!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hey! I have an early 2014 Macbook Air, the cheapest one at the store, which was the 10 ( or 11 ) inch model. I love it. It's the best laptop I have ever had. The only complaint is that the hinges are floppy! I am sure there is a better way to describe this problem, but that is all I got.

I will describe what happens. When I open the Macbook Air and the lid ( screen portion ) is fully upright, the slightest movement ( picking it up, scooting back in my chair, subtle desktop drum beats on the keyboard ) will cause it to fly all the way back! It has been this way from day one, so I know it has nothing to do with the way I have treated the computer, which is extremely nicely and carefully.

I was hoping there is some 3rd party company, or perhaps even a service Apple has, that can tighten the hinges or whatever is wrong so that the screen portion of the laptop is tighter and more stable. This is the only issue I have ever had with this computer.

Well the battery life definitely isn't 8 hours but I will save that for another thread. I have read alot on this and have found a couple diagnosis's and fixes that could help, but anything on THAT would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you so much for reading and I look forward to seeing what people come up with. Thanks a bunch!
The Apple Store can adjust them it's a five minute job :)

Reactions: soundsystem00

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
hi I believe its meant to be all the way back from sitting down with it . Thats excepting any stand that you can have bought for Macbook Air .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.