Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following in the footsteps of its parent company Chamberlain, LiftMaster today announced that all of its residential garage door openers can be upgraded to work with HomeKit using the new MyQ Home Bridge starting in April.

LiftMaster.jpg

HomeKit compatibility will enable users to open, close, or check the status of their garage door, and turn MyQ-connected lights on or off, using the MyQ Connected Home app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. Siri voice commands and HomeKit scenes will also be supported on compatible devices.

The MyQ Home Bridge will have an introductory price of $49.99, and cost $69.99 afterwards.

Article Link: LiftMaster's Garage Door Openers Will Support HomeKit in April

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Ok. Cool. But does it simultaneously support a hub like Wink or SmartThings? I'm such a newbie in this, it seems like the beauty of it all is creating triggers across connectivity standards so that different behaviors happen... like all the doors unlock if the fire alarms go off, maybe even add the garage door to that.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I already have an existing bridge I bought from LiftMaster... can I exchange it for the new one at a discounted price or something?

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Ok. Cool. But does it simultaneously support a hub like Wink or SmartThings? I'm such a newbie in this, it seems like the beauty of it all is creating triggers across connectivity standards so that different behaviors happen... like all the doors unlock if the fire alarms go off, maybe even add the garage door to that.
MyQ already works with Wink so I don't think they would take that functionality away. I imagine that this just adds HomeKit. It'll probably be similar to Ecobee, where the Wink Hub doesn't control the device directly, but communicates through the API, and that way other devices can also control it simultaneously.

consumerDan

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Georgia
Give Apple credit.

At least they are supporting it, but I bought replacement garage doors and openers back in November. Before purchasing I asked Liftmaster if model 8550W openers would support HomeKit. They said yes, in a free update because the hardware supports the encryption level that HomeKit requires.

Now there is another piece of hardware involved and additional cost. I probably would not have purchased if I was told what would have happened. Oh well...

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I already have an existing bridge I bought from LiftMaster... can I exchange it for the new one at a discounted price or something?
You'll need both bridges. The new one you can get at a discounted price for a little while, and it will allow for homekit.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind

HomeKit compatibility will enable users to open, close, or check the status of their garage door, and turn MyQ-connected lights on or off, using the MyQ Connected Home app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. Siri voice commands and HomeKit scenes will also be supported on compatible devices.

I already have their current bridge - it does all this already (except for the Siri and Homekit stuff). Since I don't have any other Homekit items yet I see no reason to jump on this for a $20 savings over the future price.

emck

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
You'll need both bridges. The new one you can get at a discounted price for a little while, and it will allow for homekit.

ok can someone let me know what the part number is to to get the HomeKit bridge I have the old one and I am not sure it is compatible with HomeKit.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
ok can someone let me know what the part number is to to get the HomeKit bridge I have the old one and I am not sure it is compatible with HomeKit.

Your current one is definitely not compatible with HomeKit since this is the announcement for its release in April. The new HomeKit bridge is model number 819LMB.

emck

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
Your current one is definitely not compatible with HomeKit since this is the announcement for its release in April. The new HomeKit bridge is model number 819LMB.

Thanks for the info, I guess I will have to wait until April to get the new bridge.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
or check the status of their garage door, and turn MyQ-connected lights on or off

Just LOL! Grasping at straws here...
As a house owner with a garage door opener for many many years such requirement has never cross my mind and not about to.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Considering they killed SmartThings "support" (that was figured out by the community) after they complained their servers were being used too much, I cannot see this being a great version 1.0 offering for HomeKit. Those with MyQ already probably should wait to see how this works long term. Until companies offer support for both SmartThings and HomeKit in the same product(s), I cannot see these being extremely popular choices for consumers.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'll have to check, but I think I have a LiftMaster at home. For $49 I'll add that to HomeKit no problem! It's not something I'd consider essential to my smart home setup, but for the price? Sure!

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Kind of disappointing that new hardware is required. I have their old gateway and am fine with the ios app. A friend bought their deluxe opener with built-in wifi but will need a separate box for Homekit.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I already have my Chamberlain garage door working within my Wink setup but, I'm hoping they'll offer Alexa integration soon.

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
First, I can do all this already from their app, so that part isn't new. The article implies it is, which is incorrect.

Second, woo hoo! Kudos to Apple for not just laying the framework for consolidating the disparate home automation field, but for doing so with good security.

You can bet I'll be replacing my bridge as soon as this comes out. The more companies that see there is money in it for them for adding Homekit support, the better off we will all be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.