Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Can we dock iPad mini without back support? Is it gonna work on iPad Mini with folio case?

I ordered one last weekend. I hope that I will get it before mid December!

You could dock the iPad Mini without back supports if you want to, but I wouldn't recommend it just in case. I use back supports on both for the iPhone and iPad Mini just as a precaution, but the iPhone sits without a problem--nice and steady--without the back support as well.

And I have no idea about it working with the folio case since I just have a red smart cover. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to just take it out and leave it naked on the dock.

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
You could dock the iPad Mini without back supports if you want to, but I wouldn't recommend it just in case. I use back supports on both for the iPhone and iPad Mini just as a precaution, but the iPhone sits without a problem--nice and steady--without the back support as well.

And I have no idea about it working with the folio case since I just have a red smart cover. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to just take it out and leave it naked on the dock.

Thank you for your replay.

My joy factory smart suit mini have snap on the back design even if it is folio case. It will be annoy if I have to take it off everyday.

One more favor to ask, Can you take photo of iPad Mini in the back with back support? if it is too tight, I might have no choice to go without back support. If it have some space left, I might ask lightning dock to adjust my order to include back support.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
Why not?! :(

The trend is towards larger heavier docks so that the iPhone can be lifted out one handed without the dock moving, and to allow case-compatibility and compatibility with iPods/iPads/future iPhones. Very few people have any interest in a small, portable dock as docks are generally placed on a desk or bench and remain in that location. People travelling to a temporary location just use the cable.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Thank you for your replay.

My joy factory smart suit mini have snap on the back design even if it is folio case. It will be annoy if I have to take it off everyday.

One more favor to ask, Can you take photo of iPad Mini in the back with back support? if it is too tight, I might have no choice to go without back support. If it have some space left, I might ask lightning dock to adjust my order to include back support.

I won't be home from work for a few hours as I have a board meeting, but I'll be sure to post one when I get back.

It is very secure with a backrest, I'd suggest that option.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Here's a picture of the side of the Mini so you can see how it sits using the back support. It's not flush, and it is highly recommended to use the little silicone/gel stoppers that they provide you with. It sits perfectly with them.

As for my iPhone five on the dock? I keep my Spigen Ultra Thin Air Soft Clear case on at all times so I don't use the stopper on it. It rests nice firm against the suppose. If I were to use it sans case I would then use the stopper so there are no scrapes (just in case, since the supports are very fine).

Hope this helped.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
If you have a notch or damage on the Lightning dock, what would be the best way to fix it?

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Sure. Here it is. I'm to try a little sanding to even it out. Then apply some Scratch X and see if that fixes the problem.

It seem like it is chip on Metal and I don't think Scratch X will help that. :(

Hope that my Lightning dock, which sent out yesterday, won't have any problem. :cool:

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
It seem like it is chip on Metal and I don't think Scratch X will help that. :(

Hope that my Lightning dock, which sent out yesterday, won't have any problem. :cool:

Yes it's a small chip that's why I plan to sand it before applying the Scratch X. Also, they refunded me 100% for the item. I contacted them 3 times about returning the item. No response at all.

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Here's a picture of the side of the Mini so you can see how it sits using the back support. It's not flush, and it is highly recommended to use the little silicone/gel stoppers that they provide you with. It sits perfectly with them.

As for my iPhone five on the dock? I keep my Spigen Ultra Thin Air Soft Clear case on at all times so I don't use the stopper on it. It rests nice firm against the suppose. If I were to use it sans case I would then use the stopper so there are no scrapes (just in case, since the supports are very fine).

Hope this helped.

I just have one question, how long did it take since confirmation shipping e-mail from Lightning Dock til it arrived? They just sent me e-mail about shipping. I have to be out of country next saturday, I want to make sure that it should be here in Arizona before I leave.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
I just have one question, how long did it take since confirmation shipping e-mail from Lightning Dock til it arrived? They just sent me e-mail about shipping. I have to be out of country next saturday, I want to make sure that it should be here in Arizona before I leave.

From initial order until delivery it took a total of 12 days.

LosLoco

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
I ordered one on monday for delivery in Denmark. Got a shipment-confirmation within a couple of hours, so I'm looking forward to seeing how long it takes to get it over here :D

AdrianT

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2009
Here's the post I made over on the iPad accessories side:

Got the dock today...the mini works without the back support, however, you can't really use it on the dock as its kinda flimsy without the back support, I have a back clear case on the iPad mini.

Photo%2012-03-2012-19.45.24.jpg

Photo%2012-03-2012-19.48.38.jpg

The iPhone works without the backsupport pretty well, but if u have a thicker case it might not fit with the backsupport on. I have a SPG Neo Hybrid and it fits with the backsupport but its tight.

Photo%2012-03-2012-19.52.11.jpg

Photo%2012-03-2012-19.52.58.jpg

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Finally got mine yesterday, which is surprisingly fast!!

I ordered dock without back support. At first, I am afraid that it can't hold up. Thank to solid lightning cable from Apple, It can stand without any movement and without any problem!! Although, It is necessary to use two-hand to take it out the dock since Lightning connection is tight-fit and not easy to come off.

Overall, I am pleased with quality of product and customer service. They tried to provide information as much as they can. They even rush my order since I will leave US on this coming Saturday. Good job!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.